Pacifc white leg shrimp

Pacifc white leg shrimp

Postby Colby » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:33 am

Hi guys, I have been considering the possible uses of these guys in ornamental aquaculture, specifically using the nauplii to feed to larval fish. From the little info I have found, it sounds like they are very very easy to breed, produce tons of nauplii (millions) and even the offspring are very easy to raise.

So, does anyone have any commercial shrimp farming experience or any thoughts/suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on where I can locate these (and I mean alive, not dead in the grocery store :) )

TIA,
Colby
Colby

Re: Pacifc white leg shrimp

Postby spawner » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:10 am

how many nauplii do they produce in a spawn?
spawner

Postby aomont » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:56 am

Males become mature from 20 g and females from 28 g onwards at the age of 6–7 months. P. vannamei weighing 30–45 g will spawn 100 000–250 000 eggs of approximately 0.22 mm in diameter. Hatching occurs about 16 hours after spawning and fertilization.

http://www.fao.org/fishery/culturedspec ... annamei/en
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby spawner » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:55 am

Your talking about vannamei, never heard them called white leg shrimp before. Not worth it on a small scale, they require a lot of work to get them to mature. I've always thought that a seahorse farm would be a nice addition to a shrimp hatchery, producing 30+ million PLs a month or so. You should use all the extra PLs production, undersized shrimp and such to grow the seahorses. Plenty of spare nauplii production as well.
spawner

Return to Other Carideans