Periclimenes brevicarpalis - Pacific clown anemone shrimp

Periclimenes brevicarpalis - Pacific clown anemone shrimp

Postby andy.wise » Mon May 04, 2009 7:12 am

Hi all,
I finally got a pair of these today! really have been so excited about them haha.
but anyway, the female had a massive amount of eggs when i got them, and tonight when i put them in my tank, they were dropping eggs. so i put them in a plastic breeders container, and then turned off the lights. 2 hours later there was a massive swarm of larvae, like 3 times what i have ever seem a peppermint give out.

so i collected them all and put them in my kriesal :)

there is a peppermint in there at the moment with them, but thats because im waiting for it to release its eggs tonight too. (hate wakeing up at 3 am to check if they have hatched, and i dont have a larvae snagger yet)

I have fed the larvae some "rotifer diet" (Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis algea) and some frozen rotifers.
i have some baby brine shrimp, but i think they are too big for them!
what can i feed them guys? i have some golden pearls, the artenia replacemtnt 1 size (100-200 micron).. but it looks too big too, maybe i could crush it up?
anyway here are some picks

andy.wise

Re: Periclimenes brevicarpalis - Pacific clown anemone shrimp

Postby PaulG » Mon May 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Andy,

How big are the larvae?
How big are the adults?
How big is that glass in your hand? (a shot glass?)

I'de seriously recommend building a Laval Snagger, you don't have to worry about messing around with moving adults to/from tanks or getting up in the middle of the night ;)

Regards
PaulG
PaulG

Postby andy.wise » Tue May 05, 2009 1:52 am

PaulG wrote:Andy,

How big are the larvae?
How big are the adults?
How big is that glass in your hand? (a shot glass?)

I'de seriously recommend building a Laval Snagger, you don't have to worry about messing around with moving adults to/from tanks or getting up in the middle of the night ;)

Regards
PaulG

umm i dont have a size for the adults, i can only guess about the same as a normal peppermint size? prob about 1½ inch.. havent measured them; but the male is fairly smaller than the female as you can see.
the glass in my hand is a weird shape, its pretty much a tumbler glass.

but here are some picks of the larvae

cheers,
andrew

andy.wise

Postby andy.wise » Tue May 05, 2009 2:27 am

i may aswell write a few notes about things i have noticed..
the adults are in with the rest of my shrimp (Periclimenes holthuisi and sexy shrimp)
its just a 34 litre with some live rock, marco algea and a couple of mushroom polops. i released the adults out of their breeders container, and they swam down to a rock, and have been siting there all day, not moving? when i put a net neer them they will move away. is this normal for them? i want to put a carpet anemone in there for them, but they are too expensive and i need to upgrade my lighting...

the larvae are very active, strong swimmers and very phototropic? (is this the word? very attacted to light)
but i havent seen them eat anything, i have been adding the algea water stuff, and frozen rotifers, golden pearls.

i wish they would eat! so then they can grow and i can feed them nhbs
andy.wise

Postby PaulG » Tue May 05, 2009 3:48 am

Andy,

They appear to be about 4mm in length, they should not have any issues with nhbbs. Sexy shrimp are a bit smaller & have no problems.

As far as being able to tell if they are eating, the only surefire way is to put one under a scope, if it has an orange gut, its eating! (I'm sure some other knowledgable shrimp breeder will chime in here if there is an easier way).
I have NEVER been able to see one of my larval shrimp actually grab hold of a bbs & eat it, the best i've seen is once you add the bbs into the tank, they tend to go nuts darting all over the place

HTH
PaulG
PaulG

Postby andy.wise » Wed May 06, 2009 12:01 am

Paul thanks for the repply,
i think they are actually 1mm in size, i might have confused you putting two different scaled rulers... the first in inches, seccond in metric.
i have been keeping up with the frozen rotifers and algea. i tried adding nhbbs, but i still think they look too big for them.
i found some "coral food" i had left in the fridge... the ingredients are 'fish protien, spurlina, and cyclops'. sounds pretty good, so i added some of that to the water..

i had a look at them under a micoscope, and they have little claws just at the front of them, pulling towards their mouth. my guess is they are just filter feeders at the moment. i will post some pictures later tonight
andy.wise

Postby PaulG » Wed May 06, 2009 5:48 am

Well in that case make it 2mm (you need to count their tail as well ;) )

Little claws are typical of something that can grab & hold its food, what colour was the gut of the 1 or 2 that you put under the scope?
PaulG

Postby andy.wise » Wed May 06, 2009 7:34 am

i really couldnt be sure if i could see a stomach in there.. i have no idea where there stomach is haha.
does it look ok to you?
andy.wise

Postby FuEl » Wed May 06, 2009 9:55 am

Hi Andy,

From my limited experience with Periclimenes sp. most of them need either their host/adults in same system to initiate settlement once they become competent.

The larvae look exactly like Harlequin shrimp larvae. Will be interesting to see if a kreisel is crucial in rearing these larvae. Perhaps try rearing some with an airstone?
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby andy.wise » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:04 am

i thought i should update this....
from watching them i have learnt that the shrimp will 'make' the eggs, and store them in what would look to be their brain...
as you can see in this photo Image

that white sack has been getting bigger, and i have noticed a few eggs under the shrimp, but i am unsure if they are fertilized or not.
so i think they will make a batch in their head, then trasfer them underneath where they will be fertilized, and then another batch will be laid ontop..

i hope i can get some soon, i have been waiting ages for them to breed lol
andy.wise

Postby PaulG » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:46 am

Andy,

Yes this is quite common in most shrimp allthough most don't have it so noticable.

With pepps & cleaners it is quite easy to tell when they are about to have eggs at teh general vicinity of teh top of there thorax turns bright green (or orange depinding on teh pepp species).

Nice shot btw.
PaulG

Postby andy.wise » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:23 am

well sad news, i bought a new light for my tank, but due to cheap wiring, it short circuited and caused my house to trip off over the weekend, leaving the tank with no power for 32 hours.
all my shrimp died, apart from the one male white patched anemone shrimp. also my female percula clownfish died :(
this really sucks because things were just going well for them.
i have no drive to start the tank up again... so i might just try and get another pair and put them in my frag tank. But its not that hard seeing as they arent that easy to find around here.
andy.wise

Postby BaboonScience » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:28 am

All I can say is,
OUCH!.
We have been there. It takes the wind out of your sails! We have redundant back up power supplies now.
Don't loose the faith.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Return to Other Carideans