FW shrimps

FW shrimps

Postby Luis A M » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:29 pm

I´m not sure this thread belongs here,perhaps it could go in a "live food"forum,which we don´t have :?
My outdoor SW wading pool keeps giving me new surprises :shock: Originally set up for bs culturing and filled with waste tank water,other unexpected things developed there,which I post here.I had blooms of phyto,rots and calanoids there and I even could hatch and raise a batch of clownfish once.

Now to the story,I remember that last year I dropped there some few FW shrimp (Palaemon sp.,aka grass or ghost shrimp) as I had to clean their vat for a new lot.I use them as seahorse food and I know they can survive for long time in SW as I sometimes find some escapees in the sump or the filter tray.But I would never imagine that these FW shrimp could live in SW indefinitely,much less breed! :shock:
And now that the water of my pool cleared after a rot bloom followed by a calanoid take over,I found those shrimp happily wandering among the bottom debris.And lots of shrimp larvae are swimming at the surface! 8)
They are large,close to 10mm and swim upside down and backwards.Typically FW crustacea hatch more advanced and have a shorter larval phase than their SW counterpartws.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Chad Vossen » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:10 am

i agree that the ghost shrimp larva resemble the saltwater shrimp larva.

i found ghost shrimp larva in my plant tank at 2am, no visible legs (but they could grasp things, and swim well). head down, tail up position. the eyes were not stocked.

all attempts at getting a clear photo failed. ill have to buy more pregnant ghost shrimp to try again though.

i once tossed a ghost shrimp into my spare saltwater tank, i found it alive and well days later. but i fed it to my wrasses in my reef. i should have left it to see how long it would have survived.
Chad Vossen

Postby Luis A M » Tue May 27, 2008 4:13 pm

Here are some pics of the larva,typical of many caridean shrimp larvae.

Head close-up:

and a view of the pleopod buds:

This larva was found in 1.015 SW.At the time of collecting,there was no bs nor rots in the pool,only A.tonsa,adults and nauplii.So the shrimp zoea must be feeding on them.
So these FW shrimp can live and reproduce in SW providing a convenient live food source.
And perhaps this "mesocosm"aproach could also work for our fastidious ornamental marine shrimp larvae :? (hint,hint) :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Re:

Postby Amie » Wed May 28, 2008 1:35 am

Luis A M wrote:And perhaps this "mesocosm"aproach could also work for our fastidious ornamental marine shrimp larvae :? (hint,hint) :wink:

Go for it!! It sounds like you already have the setup all ready to go. And it's filled with lots of ghost shrimp larvae to munch on ... added bonus.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Wed May 28, 2008 1:51 am

Amie wrote:
Luis A M wrote:And perhaps this "mesocosm"aproach could also work for our fastidious ornamental marine shrimp larvae :? (hint,hint) :wink:

Go for it!! It sounds like you already have the setup all ready to go. And it's filled with lots of ghost shrimp larvae to munch on ... added bonus.

Except for one detail;it is cold outside here! :(
Luis
Luis A M

Postby spk » Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am

luis,
How cold is cold?
Steve
spk

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Wed May 28, 2008 1:10 pm

spk wrote:luis,
How cold is cold?

Pool temp is 10ºC=50ºF.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby spk » Wed May 28, 2008 5:23 pm

hmm that is a pity. But is it not worth a go, if the other have survived, then perhaps the SW will too.
Steve
spk

Re:

Postby Amie » Thu May 29, 2008 3:56 am

Luis A M wrote:
spk wrote:luis,
How cold is cold?

Pool temp is 10ºC=50ºF.

Too bad. Maybe in October?
Amie

State/Region: Utah

FW shrimps