Raising Periclimenes indicus

Raising Periclimenes indicus

Postby Jodie » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Heya,
I'm attempting to raise Periclimenes indicus larvae (relative of the ornamentals). On artificial foods and newly hatched artemia they survived 3 days. When fed rotifers they lasted 10 days. I need them to survive all the way through to post-larvae (~20 days).

I clean the water daily, I'm keeping two temperature groups, one at 20 and one at 28 degrees celcius. Neither had better survival. They needed constant aeration otherwise they would settle out on the bottle and die immediately.

Can anyone provide a bit of advice on how to keep them alive?
Jodie

Postby FuEl » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi Jodie,

NHBS is too big in the beginning. Start off with the rotifers. Around day 7 or 8 I would start adding NHBS together with rotifers. Keep feeding rotifers throughout, no harm doing so. You might want to consider a kreisel as it should help to keep the larvae suspended without too much air trauma.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Densities and air flow

Postby Jodie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:31 am

Thanks for that.
This is a small part of a PhD project for me, I'm interested in how long they exist in the plankton as larvae so keeping them alive at a range of temperatures will give me an indication of how long they float around for before they settle into seagrass habitats.

I'm on a small budget so purchasing a Kreisel for a 4 week experiment is not really an option for me. Is there another way to keep larvae suspended without doing too much damage?

They were provided rotifers until about day 5-6 and then NHBS were added (as well as the rotifers).

Are there optimum densities for this Periclimenes or similar larvae?
Jodie

Re: Densities and air flow

Postby MReith » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:31 pm

Jodie wrote:I'm on a small budget so purchasing a Kreisel for a 4 week experiment is not really an option for me. Is there another way to keep larvae suspended without doing too much damage?

search for Kreisel

you will get this:
http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1244
and other "built your own" Kreisels

good luck with your shrimp

Martin
MReith

Postby Spracklcat » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Actually if you go to www.seahorse.org there are loads of people with successful DIY kreisels--a favorite of mine uses the small old-fashioned round plastic goldfish bowls suspended in a 10g tank (with some modifications).
Spracklcat

Postby mpedersen » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:50 pm

Round Plastic Fish Bowls!!! They work almost prefectly. Someone somewhere else suggested filling the bottom,the foot, with some sort of epoxy or resin which removes that obstruction to the otherwise smooth circular flow, AND helps weigh the thing down. I have a 2 gallon plastic drum bowl sitting here just waiting for installation of air/water feeds and the resin!

Also, somewhere WAY BACK in my mandarin threads, not here, but on RC, there are probably some pictures of my first kriesel made with a fish bowl.

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Return to Other Carideans