Sexing Rhynchocinetes shrimps

Sexing Rhynchocinetes shrimps

Postby Luis A M » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:33 pm

I noticed that in my possible R.durbanensis pair,the smaller shrimp,has stronger claws (pp1) but the maxilipedia (mp3) are very long and extended forward.Is this a normal sex telling character in this genus?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby FuEl » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:06 am

Hi Luis, seems to be an accurate way of sexing. I've observed this in the species I worked with as well. The smaller shrimp you are mentioning should be a male. :)
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Luis A M » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:04 pm

Indeed Junkai,amazing I never noticed that before.I have bred and raised them in the past :?
I thought these shrimp were peaceful,living well in groups.But my shrimp are very aggressive,killing overnight any other one.In this respect they are like Alpheus or some Lysmata.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:17 pm

Funny thing :? .The small male? molted.Claws (pp1) remain a little stouter than those of the female?.But the mp3 are now normal sized.That´s why I didn´t notice :wink: .perhaps long maxilipedia are a juvenile feature?
Luis
Luis A M

Re:

Postby FuEl » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:17 am

Luis A M wrote:Funny thing :? .The small male? molted.Claws (pp1) remain a little stouter than those of the female?.But the mp3 are now normal sized.That´s why I didn´t notice :wink: .perhaps long maxilipedia are a juvenile feature?

Hmmm..or it might be a feature that would vary depending on social structure? In the animals I worked with, I noticed that only the larger individual seem to possess this feature. In my case the larger individual was the male so I'm not sure if a female could be a possible consideration.
I can't comment on the ability to change the size of mp3 as I have never observed it personally. Maybe leave the 2 animals together and see if the larger one develops the longer mp3?
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Re: Sexing Rhynchocinetes shrimps

Postby spawner » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Luis A M wrote:I noticed that in my possible R.durbanensis pair,the smaller shrimp,has stronger claws (pp1) but the maxilipedia (mp3) are very long and extended forward.Is this a normal sex telling character in this genus?

Males have larger and stronger claws. When I was in Chile I was at a fish market and they had 10 kg of their species out for sale; wonder how many I ate at restaurants.

andy
spawner

Return to Other Carideans