Alpheus armatus larvae

Alpheus armatus larvae

Postby ShannPeach » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:09 pm

I have some pics of my Alpheus armatus larvae. These pics were taken at about 10 or 11 AM, the morning after the hatch (or the morning of the hatch, depending on the time they actually hatched during the night). They are unlikely to be more than 12 hours old at this point.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/shann ... %20armatus
(I had to link to the album since the pics were too large to post or something)

Am I crazy, or do they look like they are Z3 already? Keep in mind, when I took these pics they hadn't yet had anything to eat yet either... The eyes make me think at least Z2 (combined with what looks like a molt in the first pic) but the long "spear legs" make me think they are quite possibly at Z3. I've looked at Luis's Alpheus sp. thread and for his the long legs didn't show up until Z3, but they were also several days old at that point. These aren't even a full day old! (There is a super super unlikely possibility that they were in the snagger for a full day before I found them, but I do check pretty well several times during the day to make sure I didn't miss anything. Even in the off chance that was the case, they would hardly be more than 24 hours old, at most...)

Anyone have any thoughts or can confirm or deny the stage? I can't find a ton of staging info out there for this entire genus so there isn't much to go on.

ShannPeach

State/Region: Wisconsin

Re: Alpheus armatus larvae

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi Shannon,nice that you bring this here! 8).We used to have a bunch of shrimp breeders in MOFIB.I think it is time to put our efforts again into it.There is much to work and learn if we want to raise our shrimpies! 8)
I plan to start again with them this year. :wink:
As for your Alpheus,they are indeed Z3,as your (very good) pics show.They are very fast growers.
Good luck with them!
Luis
Luis A M

Re: Alpheus armatus larvae

Postby ShannPeach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:31 pm

This run ended Friday/Saturday...I did get a few more pics on Friday which are now in the album as well. I am figuring they must have been in the snagger for a full 24 hours...it's the only thing that really makes sense to me.

The next hatch is due this coming weekend (I think...I still haven't nailed down the cycle 100%) and I plan to collect it. Hopefully I will get some images of the first couple zoeal stages as well.

In all of the pictures I took, none seem to really show that they were eating/had food in their stomachs. They certainly seem large enough to take nhbbs, so I'm not sure if I was just catching them at weird empty gut times or what.
ShannPeach

State/Region: Wisconsin

Return to Other Carideans