Amblygobius-phalaena identification

Amblygobius-phalaena identification

Postby camnbron » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi all. This is my first post and hopefully not my last!!
After staring intently at about 50 Amblygobius phalaena spread over a few tanks at my LFS. I identified what I percieved to be destinct differences between what I am guessing are the male and the female of the species. Here is a picture of the two that I selected to pair up:
[img:2phyg4zs]http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~camnbron/images/Bandedgobies.JPG[/img:2phyg4zs]

I notice that one has 5 spots on the caudal fin (tail) and 2 stripes along the anal fin. You can see the spots on the tail of the one to the right. I will try and obtain a better picture and edit this post.

Can I have some confirmation that I am on the right path here?

My brief observations are that they stick together and have an overhang that they look to have taken as their home
Last edited by camnbron on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camnbron

Postby Clownfish75 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Nice looking fish

I dont know about your identification techniques but i suspect you might have a pair.

I had a spawning pair and the female had well developed blue/green bars on the body, the male did not have this.

I suspect the fish on the left is a female.

I should add that a pair of byno gobies i had the female also developed the same blue/green colour but as a patch on the belly, the male also had none of this colouration.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby spoiled » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:49 am

As far as I understand (have read) the male have these dots on the tail fin and the female does not. So that should be a pair you got their.
spoiled

Re: Amblygobius-phalaena identification

Postby camnbron » Wed May 06, 2009 4:03 am

Here is the picture that I previously removed:
I was pretty confidant that I have a male and a female.
I can now confirm this as I have had them form a nest and lay eggs on the roof of the cave.
The male - larger with a yellowish belly - spent the majority of his time inside the cave fanning the eggs with his dorsal fin.
Unfortunately, I had to leave home for a couple of days, and upon returning the cave has been vacated and eggs are no longer visible. But on a plus side now my bangaii male is holding.
The female now has very obvious blue bars vertically on her belly.
I will attempt to get new pictures of each fish and post them up.
camnbron

Postby Clownfish75 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:36 am

So your picture is the female on the left and the male on the right, is this correct?

This species is very prolific at spawning and it wont be long befor eyou get more eggs and larvae, About 2 days to hatch, by the thousands.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby camnbron » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:11 pm

[quote="camnbron"]Amblygobius phalaena - Sleeper banded goby
Is a sand sifting goby, drops sand from up to 10cm above the sand, generally aims for corals and zoo colonies......
Readily accepts alternate food supplies, confuses fingers for frozen blocks of marine mix.....
Male is to the right - has a yellow belly
Female is to the left - has light blue vertical stripes on belly.

The male will locate or dig out a suitable overhang/cave and then stay in that area, usually in the nest. He will then attempt to entice the female by darting out and encouraging her to follow him back to the nest, some nipping is involved.
Spawning re-occurs at around a 16days cycle. Eggs are laid on roof of cave and the male guards and fans the eggs. He does come out for food.
Eggs on first day

Eggs on third day, note colour change
I've found the eggs to be gone by the end of day 4
camnbron

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Nice looking nest ! Has anyone on here tried raising these guys yet ???

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby No1Duck » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:21 pm

I am giving it a go at the mo Amy. Unsucessful with first 2 spawns, have another which should hatch tomorrow night. Problem I am having is the fry are only about 2mm long. I am straining rotifers and trying to grow pod nauplii to feed them. Anyone with any advice I would appreciate.
Dale.
No1Duck

Postby camnbron » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:37 pm

Thats about the limit of my experience with this species. I lost the female after a spawn, found her in the morning sucked up against a stream intake in the reef tank.
I had intentions of raising some offspring, but had not set up phytoplankton and rotifer stations.
camnbron

Postby Clownfish75 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 am

I have tried, got to about 40-50 days too.

They grow slowly but seem very tough, but i suspect just run out of puff without some sort of copepod.

I should get some more pairs and try again.

Christian
Clownfish75

Return to Ambygobius