Flame Hawks!!!

Flame Hawks!!!

Postby hawklover » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Tomarrow I will be receiving a wild pair of Flame Hawks (Neocirrhites Armatus) from Divers Den. These fish were given to me as a christmas present from a friend who is also a marine breeding hobbyist. Talk about a merry christmas! I have a 30g tank that they are going into for the time being, untill I get a 55g drum set up for them. I am making some modifications to the 55g drum I had set up for my falco hawks. The 30g has a ten gallon sump with a wet/dry filter, a skimmer, and a carbon filter before being pumped back into the tank. So when the fish get here tomarrow, I will post my intentions on this thread, along with pictures of my new babies. Stay tuned for future breakthroughs!
Ben (P.S. I really, really, really want to be the first person to succsesfully breed hawkfish)
Broodstock: Flame Hawks, Engineer Gobies, Ocellaris Clowns, Bangaii Cardinals, FireFish Magnifica, Azure Damsels, more to come with time!
hawklover

Re: Flame Hawks!!!

Postby hawklover » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:08 am

Well, they are here. After stressing and pulling my hair out all morning(I am a very patient person, lol), They arrived at three on the dot. Funny, since the tracker said they would be there by three. They came right out of the box, floated for 30 minutes, then went into buckets for acclimation. Their coloring was really pale, so I took the acclimation nice and slow. Three hours later, they went into their new home. But Ben you say, you have to quarantine them. Oh, but I tell you, they have their very own system, so in reality they are. They have now been in the tank for 4 hours, and their color is back and looks great. They look to be a young pair, the male being 2", and the female 1 1/2". They have eaten, and are figuring out the layout of the land. They are displaying a lot of the same behaviors that my Falco hawks did. Pushing each other around, side by side, but not flaring at each other. I will post pictures tomarow, along with my plans for these beautys!
Ben (P.S. I really, really, really want to be the first person to succsesfully breed hawkfish)
Broodstock: Flame Hawks, Engineer Gobies, Ocellaris Clowns, Bangaii Cardinals, FireFish Magnifica, Azure Damsels, more to come with time!
hawklover

Postby hawklover » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:07 pm

Here they are!
hawklover

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:12 pm

Super cute :!: I'm very excited for you. It is nice to see someone just come out of nowhere and decide to try something like this. I'll be here cheering you on and looking forward to all the updates. :)

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby hawklover » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks Amy!

Well, here we go. This pair of hawkfish is exactly what I have wanted since I started collecting breeding equipment. They are pelagic spawners, and have been known to spawn in captivity. There does'nt seem to be any recorded attemps to collect eggs or raise them. I am piecing together a broodstock system that will include a 55g drum jlong with several other broodstock tanks. BRTs will be used for larval system, and 100 gallon stock tanks for growout. Possible first foods include small strain rots, or maybe larval copapods or ciliates. We will see. I am feeding the broodstock on homemade food(variation of Witts recipe), three times a day with heavy filtration and skimming.

If anyone finds any useful info or articles, please post the links here in this thread. I will post all info I can find here, as a means to consolidate all the information about Hawkfish breeding.
hawklover

Postby hawklover » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:30 am

Day three with these beautiful fish. I spent most of the morning with them, and they are starting to get used to having people around. The male flares at me whenever I go in the room, he definetly thinks that he is the boss of the tank now. He is now agressively going after the food that I am offering. The female is still shy, and I have haven't seen her take a lot of food. She looks very healthy though, and I think that she is just not eating when I am around. Most of the time when I walk in the room they are sitting on a little shelf that I put near the top of the tank together. If I get really close to the tank, they hide in some live rock. They act very, very similar to my Falco pair, usually staying within a few inches of each other. I think I will call the male Boss, and the female Shy, based on their temperments.
hawklover

Postby hawklover » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:25 pm

So here is the info that I have gleaned from the internet and books so far for Hawkfish. Supposedly the Longnose Hawkfish(Oxycirrhites Typus), has been bred in captivity, but I have not yet found any records. I hope that I do though. Hawkfish are Protogynous Hermaphodites that release pelagic eggs. It is beleived that they are very well spread because they stay in a pelagic phase for around three weeks. Some hawkfish keep harems, with a male keeping anywhere from 2-7 females in his territory. Exceptions to this include the Flame Hawkfish(Neocirrhites Armatus), Longnose Hawkfish(Oxycirrhites Typus), and I beleive the Falco Hawkfish(Cirrhitichthys Falco), which form monogomous pairs. I beleive the the Falco is included with them based on a personal experience with a male dying shortly after his mate did. I was also informed by my LFS owner, who has 20 years worth of experience in the hobby and industry, that he has had pairs of Flame and Falco Hawks die as pairs. More to come later, so stay tuned!
hawklover

Postby hawklover » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Yesterday I mixing in some enriched bs and Shy, the female, started aggresively taking food. Once the bs is in the tank, she will eat other foods as well. So that is settled. Both are eating frozen food energeticaly. Their coloring is awesome, and they are spending most of their time together. I remembered last night that Midnight Angel had mentioned that she has a friend with a spawning pair of Longnose hawks, so I have asked to see if she can find out how deep the tank isthat they are in. Hopefully that info will transfer across to Flame Hawks.
hawklover

Postby hawklover » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:28 pm

Both Hawks are eating like crazy! I have been giving 4-5 small feedings a day. They have filled out and seem to be growing quickly. I have put up a "moon" in my breeding room, and they are doing a lot of cruising around together everynight after lights out. They are on a 14 hour daylight cycle. The behavior they are displaying is very similar to the behavior from my Falco pair. :D My lfs has a some more Falcos in, and it looks like two of them would make a good pair. So soon I will pick a pair of them up again. This weekend I am going to sit up with this flame pair for a few hours after lights out and see what they are up to.

I can't find any info about the longnose hawks that have supposedly been bred. :?: Lots of websites and books say it has been done, but no hard info. If anyone finds any, please let me know. The longnose have small mouths, so if they have been bred, they first foods used for them should work for any of the other hawks. :D
hawklover

Postby hawklover » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:08 pm

I have taken some new pics, but because they have been growing like crazy, I want to get new pics. It looks like the male has put on 1/2 to 3/4 of an in that last two weeks. The female a little less, but they are getting big fast. I am feeding them 4 or 5 small meals a day of homemade food, and a little bit of gut loaded bs. Tomarow things will slow down, and I am going to take and post up some new pictures. I am hoping to start to get some pics of attempted spawnings soon, because it was at about this point that my Falcos started to d o ascents together.
hawklover

Postby Scma » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:19 pm

They are gorgeous, I wish you the best of luck.
I went to try and gather some information for you, but you are entirely right. Every site says that longnoses have/currently are being readily breed in captivity, yet there's not one drop of actual information. :roll:
Scma

Postby hawklover » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:58 am

New pics!

hawklover

Postby hawklover » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:07 am

To those of you who have sent me articles, thank you very much. I have received some really good info, and am rereading these articles to make sure that I don't miss anything. Thanks!
hawklover

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 pm

You have a very nice pair 8)
Was it easy to make them get along :?:
Good luck :!: How do you plan to collect eggs :?:
Perhaps they are not that hard to raise,as nobody ever tried :?: :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby hawklover » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:07 pm

Luis!
I was just about to ask you about Azure Demoselles. I have had one for a long time and love it. As for these hawks, I am going to keep them in a tank similar to Uhm, Fish's blue barrel, with an egg collector similar to his. I am pretty sure that they spawn as the lights dim at dusk. That was when my Falco Hawks tried to spawn, and from what articles I have found and had given to me, several other species as well. For now, they are still pretty small, and I wonder if they are sexually mature yet. I know that they are long lived fish, my LFS owner had one for 15 years, and it full size when he got it. It just died a few months ago. They are growing very fast. They are a wild caught pair, so I had no problems pairing them. I paired my Falco Hawks by getting a small one and a large one. I kept them in a tank with a see through divider for two weeks, and then let them loose together. After about three days together, their squables ended. They acted a lot like this pair of Flame Hawks. Unfortunently, the smaller one died, and the larger one quit eating. This leads my to beleive that they should be kept in pairs. I have my fingers crossed that they can be raised with small strain copepods. I am going to use the BRT method with green water and copepods, then ss rots, and so on.

Thanks for the intrest in what I am doing! I will probably have some questions for you soon when it comes to keeping cultures of copepods.

Ben :D
hawklover

Postby D3monic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:42 am

Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

Proud member of JARC (joliet area reef club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcuF4Wkcl8 Current Mood.
D3monic

Postby Jhawkor » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Hey, any updates? How are they doing?
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Postby hawklover » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 pm

Sorry its been so long!
I have been concentrating all my effort into getting my system up and running. I am getting there. The Hawks are great, still growing, eating like crazy. They will eat anything now, even flake food. I am still feeding mash three times a day. I hope to have the whole broodstock system up and running in the next three months!
hawklover

Postby Jhawkor » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:49 pm

hawklover wrote:Sorry its been so long!
I have been concentrating all my effort into getting my system up and running. I am getting there. The Hawks are great, still growing, eating like crazy. They will eat anything now, even flake food. I am still feeding mash three times a day. I hope to have the whole broodstock system up and running in the next three months!

Great to hear Ben. I hope to get my broodstock system up and running within the next couple months as well.
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Postby hawklover » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:12 pm

I sat for a while today and watched my hawks. They have about doubled in size since I got them. I have been reading all the hawkfish breeding literature I can get my hands on, and I think that once they are mature, getting them to spawn will not be to much trouble. I am now considering getting on of the water storage tanks that fit on a pallate to use for a hawk broodstock tank. They are some thing like 4'x4'x4'. That would give them height, and room for several stands of live rock for seperate hawks to reside in. I think the key to keeping multiple specimens without aggression is having separate stands of live rock. This wc pair I have live in separate tall peices of live rock, and come together only when I feed and in the evenings.
hawklover

Postby hawklover » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:43 pm

The Hawks are still growing, doing well. No agression in the pair. I am close to being able to move them into a new blue 55 gallon drum tank. It is going to be plumbed into my broodstrock system. All I need is a check valve and to put my egg collector together. :)
hawklover

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:00 pm

Nice, Ben! Good luck!
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby hawklover » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks Andy! I have learned a lot just by reading over your 6-line thread. I am modeling my 55g barrel after yours, with a few changes to the egg collector. It has been very inspiring to me to read your reports. Thanks!!!
hawklover

Postby hawklover » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:59 pm

So, its time to get serious. I am nearly done with the tank for my Hawks. I will be posting pictures of the system soon(within the next two weeks). When I have eggs, I have decided to start trying SS strain rots as a first food. I have no idea as to wther or not that will work, but I can't find records of anyone else trying with Flame Hawks. If I am unsuccessful, and I am pretty sure that I will be, I am going to try my hand at culturing Copepods in the order to try copepod naupli as first food for them. I have done a little reading on the subject, and from my understanding it takes a large amount of effort to produce enough naupli to make it work. That is the plan for now, I am just taking this with baby steps, so I don't get to far over my head. :roll:
hawklover

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:10 am

Regarding copepods, you should be reading the recent active topics in both the zooplankton forum about Apocyclops, and also the Research Projects forum about O. marina. I can send you some Apocyclops, and you should really reach out to Adelaide at Essential Live Feeds ("ladygator") to see what products she has to offer. You can also try DanUnderwood at SeahorseSource, and also Mark Vera ("enigma"). Another possible source is Andy Rhyne ("spawner"). Look for my copepod paper in the "What do you want to know about live feeds" topic in the zooplankton forum, there I list various sources for copepods, and also some culturing techniques. I also have a tiny but healthy culture of Parvocalanus that I might be able to share with you, as well as some Euterpina acutifrons. The small size of the Parvocalanus might be helpful, but they don't reproduce that quickly (at least not for me).

Do you have some good phytoplankton cultures going? Not just Nannochloropsis, but also T-Iso at the very least. I also have some Chaetoceros I can get you a starter of (plus the sodium metasilicate you will need for this diatom).

Good luck with these guys, and with getting some good food sources for them!
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Next

Return to Cirrhitidae - Hawkfish