Pairing Ogilbyina novaehollandiae

Pairing Ogilbyina novaehollandiae

Postby FuEl » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:05 am

I picked up 2 of these fish a few days ago. I have read that this species is quite different from other dottybacks as they are protandrous hermaphrodites. This means the larger fish will become a female. The larger individual is almost totally black while the smaller one is still pinkish orange without any signs of black development (so most probably the sexes are more or less confirmed).

Currently they are in a 2x1x1 separated by a divider. :roll: I have seen pics of another dottyback species well known for aggression (P. steenei) in which the pair were literally swimming next to each other. Anyone knows the minimum tank size needed to pair them in?
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby FuEl » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:22 am

I removed the divider in the 2x1x1 tank and to my surprise both fish got along well, for dottyback standards. Some chasing by the dominant female but no harm done to the smaller male so far. Been hours but I have yet to see a tear in the fins. There were even instances when the male was right next to the female but the female could'nt even bother to chase the male. Now just have to wait for the chance for a photoshoot. :lol:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby FuEl » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:28 am

Finally managed to get some decent shots. Not sure if these fish are Ogilbyina novaehollandiae. Perhaps someone could confirm?

Picture of both.

Close up on the male. Fins all still intact. :roll:

Close up on the dominant female. Not sure if she would be turning more black.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby mpedersen » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:15 pm

I dont' know, they look like the right species to me...???

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Return to Other Pseudochromids