Cherry Dottyback - Pholidochromis cerasina

Cherry Dottyback - Pholidochromis cerasina

Postby William » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Christian asked me via email about my experience with Pholidochromis cerasina. I am answering his question here so anyone else interested in this species can benefit.

My goal with this thread is to include all information I have been able to find about about this species in addition to my own personal experience with the species. If anyone else has experience / info with this please share your knowledge.
Last edited by William on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will
William

Postby William » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:13 pm

I first came across this species in may of 2004. Here is a photo of the fish just after I acquired them.

I send this picture to Dr Anthony Gill when I was unable to find it in any of my books or on the internet. Here is his response.

Dr Anthony C. Gill - 5/3/2004 wrote:[It is an] undescribed pseudochromid species, which will be named in forthcoming paper by me ... The description ... will be coming out in the journal Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, hopefully within the next month or two. Its name will be Pholidochromis cerasina, the Cherry Dottyback. I only had one specimen (from northern Sulawesi) for the description of the species, though I believe aquarium collectors have also been collecting elsewhere in Sulawesi. ... I suspect you have two males. I haven't seen specimens to confirm the identification, but a photo I was sent of an aquarium specimen of P. cerasina is probably the female. Basically it's a bluish grey fish, with a narrow dark border on the caudal, dorsal and anal fins...

This may be the photograph of the probable female as it matches that description perfectly.
http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/images/P43JbAEUxY.jpg
http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/tiere/ ... rasina.htm

I have the paper he refrenced. I did not find anything particularly noteworthy from an aquaculture standpoint. But the etymology part is interesting.

Etymology. - The specific epithet is from the Latin cerasinus, meaning "of cherry." It alludes to the cherry-like bright orange to red spots on the body and median fins.
Last edited by William on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will
William

Postby William » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Scott Michael's dottyback book lists this species and has a very short section of this species. Here is a short excerpt of the only part I found interesting.

Scott W. Michael - Basslets, Dottybacks & Hawkfishes - 2004 wrote:Cherry Dottyback ... Juveniles and females are pinkish to blueish gray overall with orange spots on the back and caudal peduncle

Scott Michael claims that it is the females that are spotted not the males as Allen claimed.
Will
William

Postby William » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:15 pm

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/view ... 0486#10486
Witt wrote:I half heartedly fooled with a mystery fish several years ago. It never went too far. One would come available and I would throw it in a tank and wait many months before seeing another. I had a pair for a short bit, but then moved...After all that playing they were finally named. I don't know too much about them, but your photo sums it up, they are gorgeous!
Will
William

Postby William » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:15 pm

Now to my experience. My original "pair" was placed into a 20 gallon aquarium (24X12X16 inches) with lots of live rock. After a few days of frequent battles out in the open, I never saw more than one fish at a time. I assumed that one killed the other.

However a little less than a year later I tore down the tank in preparation to move and to my surprise, both fish were still there. Both fish still showed the spotted coloration. I then sold the fish so that is where the story of those two fish ends.

The story then picks up again this winter. I came across a specimen with very few pink spots.
Unfortunately it jumped down the overflow the second night.

Since then I have acquired two more specimens, both of which of are spotted. This time they are in a 20 gallon aquarium with very little decor - a few pieces of tile and PVC pipes. I am able to observe them much better in this tank than before. A few things of of interest I have observed.

[note to self]Add photos of current pair[/note to self]

- Unlike most of my other dottybacks, the preferred territory is the top of the tank.
- It is relatively unaggressive, it takes these guys a few days of fighting before the damage gets too severe and they need to be separated.
- The first two fish I had were the smallest and the brightest colored with the most spots. The spotless fish, was the largest. This suggests that Scott Michael may have been correct about sexing.
Will
William

Re: Cherry Dottyback - Pholidochromis cerasina

Postby Midnight Angel » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Any updates on these guys ? I have had what looks to be a pair for months that still have not spawned. One has lots of spots and is larger and the other is smaller with very few spots. The male is always out in the open and the female hides. The male tries to eat all the food I put in and I have a hard time getting enough food to the female. But he has never hurt her in any way..........just eats all the dang food. :roll:

Forgot to add that the larger one with the most spots acts like the male and the smaller one with fewer spots seems to be the female (always hiding). I had no idea what they were suppose to look like til I read this. I'm really confused now. :?

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby William » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:30 pm

I finally managed to get two fish that did not kill each other. I have had this "pair" together for more than a year at this point. They are great friends. The follow each other around all day long. Both had lots of spots when I got them. The older one(I've had it at least 6 months longer than the other) seems to slowly be loosing the spots. So far no spawning or spawning behavior - neither acts like a male dancing for the other.

They share a tank with a pair of Fridmani Dottybacks that spawn very infrequently - once every few months. While there is not a significant amount of aggression between the two pairs. I'm beginning to wonder if they are interfering with each other's spawning.
Will
William

Postby William » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Midnight Angel wrote:Forgot to add that the larger one with the most spots acts like the male and the smaller one with fewer spots seems to be the female (always hiding). I had no idea what they were suppose to look like til I read this. I'm really confused now. :?

Well so far, the information is conflicting as to if the spotted on is supposed to be the male or female. My experience definitely points to juveniles being spotted and then loosing their spots as the dominant fish matures. Since MOST dottybacks go from female to male this would seem to make it most likely that the spotless form being male. I suppose that we will never really know for sure until someone gets them spawning in an aquarium.
Will
William

Postby Midnight Angel » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks Will,
I have had my fish for almost a year and they have not spawned. So I can't say for certain what I have. All I can say is how they seem and act. But you are right until one of us gets a spawn I guess we won't know. Thanks so much for posting. I was wondering if yours had spawned. Good luck with them. I like these guys and the strawberry dottybacks the best. They may not be as brightly colored as some of the other dottybacks but they are very pretty fish. :wink:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby vaporize » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Will any pics or updates to these? Really wanted to ID and sex these guys.

thanks,
vaporize

Postby William » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 am

I am giving these guys another shot.

I ordered a small one from Blue Zoo 2 weeks ago. Then yesterday I found a nice big one at a local shop.

They get along surprisingly well. Big one pretty much completely ignores the smaller one. The smaller one likes to try to beat the bigger one with it's tail.

This is also the first "pair" with a significant size differential. I my first pair were both similar in size and color to the smaller one. My second (and 3rd) pairs were all similar in size and color as the larger one. In both cases the fish coexisted for a long time without killing each other, but never showed any signs of spawning. Hopefully I will have better luck this time.

Pholidochromis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will
William

Postby Suzy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Good luck! They are a beautiful species.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby wogga » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:12 am

Any updates? This is a fascinating species about which i would like to learn a good deal more.
wogga

Postby wogga » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:50 am

I'm quite curious to hear updates on this.

Did the two ever spawn?

-Colin
wogga

Postby wogga » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:42 pm

I would love to know of any and all updates available on this.

Did they spawn?

I've decided i want this to be my fish species for a system i'm building. it will be the only fish (or pair) in a 40 breeder (reef flat zone) in an 80 gal total system volume tri-zonal system. It would be wonderful to establish a spawning pair and it seems this is the only place on the net where anyone is trying to establish one. I'm checking back on this thread regularly with excitment :D
wogga

Return to Other Pseudochromids