Elegant Dottyback (Pseudochromis elongatus)

Elegant Dottyback (Pseudochromis elongatus)

Postby Ohiocatfish » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:44 pm

So there is little out there about these little beauties and I would like to share about a year of experiences with the species. The Elegant Dottyback is small and maxes out at about 2.5-3''. This makes them awesome nano reef candidates. With their smaller size they rarely have the courage to enforce their domain on tankmates. They are sexually dimorphic with the female maintaining a bright orange head with a purple-grey to crimson body and black dotted tail with yellow streaking highlights. However, the male takes on a completely different look with a olive green head going to a grey body and grey tail that is complemented with streamers (lyretail look). Adults hate each other and require a large enough tank with many hiding places to keep the tank peaceful. Spawning occurs the same as other dottys like P. fridmani. Incubation days are also unique as the species with an average incubation at 6 days...sometimes more. Also, small dottys=small clutches. Once hatched the larvae can be raised the same as P. fridmani and look kinda like M. splendens with pale spots near back half. Raising is easy enough but once they have metamorphosed they turn into .5'' long demons :twisted: . Separation is the best cure. My parent broodstock originates from Bali and is in no way related to ORA's releases. I am currently experimenting on establishing F1 trios and look forward to the expansion of the Elegant Dottyback's popularity. I hope this might spark some interest :D
Ohiocatfish

Re: Elegant Dottyback (Pseudochromis elongatus)

Postby spawner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:08 am

I first saw this fish about 4 years ago. Its a great dottyback, I think it will rival the orchid for popularity when people see it around. Its small, nice and very very easy on they eyes.
spawner

Re: Elegant Dottyback (Pseudochromis elongatus)

Postby ichthyogeek » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:24 am

Ohiocatfish, how did you get your breeding pair? Did you get a pair of juveniles (what size/age?) or a separate male and female and allow them to pair up or two of the same sex and let the submissive one become the other sex? Are they protandrous or protogynous hermaphrodites? How big was your broodstock tank?
ichthyogeek

State/Region: Arkansas

Return to Pseudochromis