M. Splendens - Breeding Success

M. Splendens - Breeding Success

Postby gpsmart » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:34 am

Just thought I would post a couple of pics of some of my Splendid Dottyback babies. They are about 6 weeks old and just about ready to go to a growout tank.

Graham
gpsmart

Re: M. Splendens - Breeding Success

Postby FuEl » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:36 am

First time I have heard of this species being bred. Congratulations! I bet it has been hard to establish a pair of these, they seem just so aggressive towards one another.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby gpsmart » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:26 am

Thanks FuEl. I originally got a pair and then lost one to aggression very quickly. Fortunately I was able to source a third one and gave them quite a while to get used to each other. When I finally let them come in contact the aggression was not too bad. Not much more than a few nipped fins. Now there is no aggression but I never see them hanging out together.

Graham
gpsmart

Postby ChuckC » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:46 pm

Wow, that's great. How long did you have them before they bred. Did you separate them. Tell us more. I'd love to get a pair of those going.
ChuckC

Postby gpsmart » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:01 pm

I had them for somewhere between 2 and 3 months before they bred and they were separated for about a month. They are only in a 20G tank but there is plenty af structure for hiding places.

Graham
gpsmart

Postby ChuckC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:31 pm

I just got two Splendens. They're tank bred and getting along fine. There is no yellow on the body, only the tail. Do you know why that is?
ChuckC

Postby gpsmart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:01 am

My breeding pair also only have the yellow on the tail section. Some of the larger juveniles are also losing the yellow on the body. I guess it is just an age thing. Mine were wild caught and their colour has improved since being in my system (especially in the female since the male doesn't eat much while tending the eggs).

Good luck with yours.

Graham
gpsmart

Postby gpsmart » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:25 am

Just an update on these dottybacks. I ended up transferring 94 to a growout tank. I have lost a few in there but the aggression has calmed down a lot. Most of them now seem to have nipped fins (as you will see in the pic) but there are very few of them dying. They are growing well and the largest of them are nearing a selling size. I am intending to separate out the larger ones to let the fins repair before selling.

Graham
gpsmart

Postby Luis A M » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:33 am

Very well done,Graham!Congrats! :D
Could you tell about larval tank and food? 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby gpsmart » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks Luis,

The larval tank is just an 18 inch glass tank with a couple of airstones. I don't add any filtration until around meta and this is as much for hiding places as it is for filtration. I start them off on rotifers and then NHBBS when they eat too many rotifers. It is all very basic but it seems to work.

Graham
gpsmart

Return to Manonichthys