M.Splendens? (ID question - Looks like alleni )

M.Splendens? (ID question - Looks like alleni )

Postby Jin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi guys first post. I bought two dottybacks that were sold as Splendids but a few things pointed to them being a bit different from the regular splendens pics i've seen. They are both about 2 inches with one having darker coloration. The differences i can see :- Torso colors (half yellow), the pelvic fins (yellow, red dot), and the face (purple no stripe). Here are the pics, crappy quality but the best i could do. The darker colored one is pictured :-

Supposedly caught in the Phillippines, is this a color variant? Juvenile coloration? They're both in a 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 foot BB tank with some pipes and some live rock. Had them for a a few weeks with the darker one dominating. Any input is appreciated. Thanks :)
Jin

Postby mpedersen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:14 pm

I wonder if this is not the cf. alleni in Witt's book? page 178?
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Jin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:21 pm

It does look like it, but without the vivid colors. Perhaps adult coloration? I found another photo on google which was an exact match from a Japanese diver off the coast of Sabah Malaysia a while back, haven't been able to find it since. Thanks Mpedersen.
Jin

Postby William » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:07 pm

Yes, it is M. alleni. I have been looking for that variant for a long time.
Will
William

Postby Clownfish75 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Im with acroporas, Alleni it is.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby Jin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:57 pm

Thanks guys.
Jin

Postby FuEl » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:35 am

Hi Jin,

How are the P. alleni doing? Are they an aggressive species compared species like orchid dottybacks? Spotted the same variant at one of my LFS but gave it a pass.

William, is this variant considered rare?
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby William » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 am

The White tailed variant I can get almost as easy as a splendid. In the last year I've seen them come in on 4 different occasions, to 3 different stores using 3 different wholesalers.

The yellow variant I've never seen in person.
Will
William

Re:

Postby William » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:26 pm

FuEl wrote:Hi Jin,
Are they an aggressive species compared species like orchid dottybacks?

The white tailed variant I have is definitely on the more aggressive side. Much more aggressive than orchids or even Splendids. But not quite as aggressive as Steens....

It is quite funny to watch the male try to kill the siphon tube when I am cleaning. Everyone else in all my other tanks run from and hide when I am siphoning, then then there is my male Alleni attacks the siphon tube.
Will
William

Re:

Postby Jin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:31 pm

FuEl wrote:Hi Jin,

How are the P. alleni doing? Are they an aggressive species compared species like orchid dottybacks? Spotted the same variant at one of my LFS but gave it a pass.

William, is this variant considered rare?

Hi Fuel, like William mentioned, these guys are aggressive, mine were super aggressive towards each other and just about any other fish in the tank. I say were because i've lost them both. The larger of the two killed the other and started scratching shortly after, slowly lowered salinity to no avail. Still quite upset over their deaths.
Jin

Return to Manonichthys