Cypho purpurascens ?

Cypho purpurascens ?

Postby Jonesthebones » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:20 pm

I bought a pair 4 weeks ago which have been in the same tank with a divider for obviopus reasons.Today I lifted the seperator and to my surprise the female went almost immediately in a capped 2" pvc with a hole drilled in one (Witts)
She and the male stayed there for 2-4 min.and then seperated.I can see little agression from the female but nothing alarming for now.I can see the female light up her sides to a bright red as if it was a red light flashing almost,very special to see btw.I'm assuming this is part of courtship or something.Can anyone clear this out for me and if this is a sure sugn of mating??
Thanks
Jonesthebones

Postby FuEl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:23 am

Hi Jones,

My female gets the reddish hue on her abdomen too just prior to mating. Have you checked the capped pvc for eggs yet? How is your pair doing together? If they are not ripping each other apart I would say leave them together and monitor for the next few days. If no torn fins are observed after a few days you could probably leave them together. Do hang some PVC pipes at the top corners of the tank for the female to hide. The pair in my care is in constant contact and they breed every 7-9 days. :)
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Clownfish75 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:22 am

I threw my bigger male and smaller female together today, they have a 6ftX2ftX2ft tank, one pipe each at either end of the tank and a pair of banded gobies and their rock down one end.

The female marched out her middle red section looking like she was about to have blood spurting out, so red, left the male for dead colour wise.

She then went nuts displaying her middle red 3rd of her body, fins flared by both, but certainly not trying to murder each other, this was a few hours ago have to check again now see if they are alive.

Christian
Clownfish75

Re:

Postby Jonesthebones » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 am

FuEl wrote:Hi Jones,

My female gets the reddish hue on her abdomen too just prior to mating. Have you checked the capped pvc for eggs yet? How is your pair doing together? If they are not ripping each other apart I would say leave them together and monitor for the next few days. If no torn fins are observed after a few days you could probably leave them together. Do hang some PVC pipes at the top corners of the tank for the female to hide. The pair in my care is in constant contact and they breed every 7-9 days. :)

Since I wrote 4 days ago ,the male has been staying constantly in the capped pvc.I've just checked the pvc and there is no egg ball.
The pair is not fighting ,no torned fins etc.
Jonesthebones

Postby FuEl » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:54 am

Hi Jones,

Start feeding like no tomorrow and they should begin spawning soon. I feed my pair 3-5 times a day. :lol:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Jonesthebones » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:57 pm

FuEl

I'll try that, see what happens...
Jonesthebones

Postby Clownfish75 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:05 am

hey i can join this club now, mine have also spawned.

anyone got any tips so i dont just kill them all?

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby Jonesthebones » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:15 pm

Breeders Guide from Witt, it will give you basic information about rearing dottybacks in general
Jonesthebones

Re:

Postby Jonesthebones » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:27 am

Clownfish75 wrote:hey i can join this club now, mine have also spawned.

anyone got any tips so i dont just kill them all?

Christian

Christian

Have you succeeded in rearing your larvae?
Jonesthebones

Re:

Postby Jonesthebones » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:28 am

FuEl wrote:Hi Jones,

Start feeding like no tomorrow and they should begin spawning soon. I feed my pair 3-5 times a day. :lol:

Hi FuEi

Any developpments on your side?
Jonesthebones

Postby Jonesthebones » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:03 pm

I found a white spongy ball on the bottom of the tank this morning.
What happened? Is this good news or bad??
Jonesthebones

Postby Clownfish75 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:02 pm

good and bad

At least you know they are spawning, perhaps somehow the male got spooked, or the eggs are infertile? check them out see if they have developed.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby Jonesthebones » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Wouldn't the female be supossed to lay the ball in the male's cave?
Jonesthebones

Postby Clownfish75 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:21 pm

yep
Clownfish75

Postby Jonesthebones » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Another egg ball on the bottom of the tank,this time I've looked at them through a microscope.
All I see is clear little circles with some white liquid in the eggs, no mouvement.
I presume the male hasn't fertilized them?
Is this normal since they are a young pair?
Jonesthebones

Postby Clownfish75 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:04 pm

I am not sure it is due to being young, perhaps they are spooked.

Hav eyou seen any displaying behaviour between the 2?

I have what i think is a female P. cyanotania, whatever it is it is female as one day the pair of clowns in the same tnak were playing with an egg ball. Perhaps your female is spawning solo.

My pair have stoped spawning because now the male is up in the pipe stack on the side of the tank, no one is in the males origional spawning den and the female is hiding in the holes the gobies are digging everywhere. I need to rearange the tank and sort out these gobies then try again.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby Jonesthebones » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:01 pm

Yes I've seen them displaying behavior when they were seperated in the same tank.But at that time the female was very agressive towards the male but subsided this agressivety after a few weeks.Since then, they are not seperated anymore and the male tends to seek the female but she then turns away.So maybe they will get the idea soon.
Jonesthebones

Postby FuEl » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:55 pm

I have a batch now that is just around 4-5 days. The hatch rate was bad as I took out the egg ball too early. Probably got around 30-50 larvae. I mixed them in with orchid dottyback larvae that hatched about 2 days earlier. Will see how they go..

If the obliques stop spawning it is often a sign that the feeding is not enough. How large are your females compared to the male? My female is only about 60-70% the mass of the male, even when gravid. Surprising since the fish develop to females only when they are more dominant. In my case the female is terrified of the male. :lol:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Return to Cypho