Cypho purpurescens

Cypho purpurescens

Postby Bigsky » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:29 pm

I will receive my second male oblique lined dotyback( Cypho purpurescens ) tomorrow, what I have read is that this dotyback starts as a male and changes to a female so I'm hoping I can get a pair out of these two fish. Has anybody had any luck spawning these fish and if they did how did you succeed, tank parameters, size and how long did it take.
Bigsky

Postby mpedersen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:28 pm

I know this is one of the species covered in Witt's book...
mpedersen
Read-Only

Re:

Postby Bigsky » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:48 pm

mpedersen wrote:I know this is one of the species covered in Witt's book...

That is were I read most of what I know about them. I was hoping I could find a more info about them, I believe ORA made some sort of attempt at breeding them but I don't no what the problem was with breeding them but there must have been something for them not to continue on a commercial basis. just looking for info, it took me 6 months to find two nice fish but i might not be in the right circle either to find fish.
Bigsky

Postby David M » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:06 pm

I had a pair for over a year, stunning fish. Very aggressive, hard to pair up, you need a huge tank. I had them in a 180 gallon RK2 bin with about 2 dozen sw mollies as dither fish. Every so often the male would kill a molly , I think just for fun. :roll: I saw no evidence that they ever spawned but they did seem to be paired. Then again the tank was large with 100+ lbs of LR so it's possible they did spawn in there, the male would vanish for days at a time and only come out to feed. Then one day the unthinkable happened, the male started to lose his gorgeous color and become drab like the female. First he turned yellow, almost the exact color of the (gold lyretail) mollies I had in there. I can't imagine what would trigger the sex change if they were a spawning pair unless it's just age related and not environmentally influenced. Anyway shortly after that there was only one to be found, a female, but I have no idea if it was the original female or the "morphed" female. I kept it for at least another year and one day noticed it had vanished, that was just a cople months ago. They were awesome fish and I would consider trying again if I could find some at a reasonable price. I got those as a pair for $85 8)
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby mrblue » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:44 pm

Having not read Witt's book(really need to get this) I don't know if my observations or opinions are correct but my experience with these fish would lead me to suspect that adding two males (unless treated like Matts Pseudochromis cyanotaenia?) directly together would result in a bloodbath. I have tried to pair other males and females in LFS’s and they did not respond well to each other. I wouldn’t like to see what would happen if two males were introduced. In my limited observations working in a LFS with these fish (and hearing customers complaints) the male seems to be the nastier of the two. I suspect my pair were possibly paired in the wild, and just separated when they were sold and that is why they have remained somewhat civil.

I just copied a comment I posted in Matt's journal. My male was originally the dominant fish, but since then (depending on cover etc) the female came out as top fish, then the male again. Then they seemed to form a kind of truce each fish taking one side of their tank and their respective cover.

Now over the last week I have noticed the female living within 6inches of the male without issue. I believe in part because of this they have not got into any kind of spawning cycle and the male hasn't seemed to even claim one spawning site over another. I had planned to move them to a bigger tank (they live in a standard 2ft ) to see if that helped. By the time I had finished my new broodstock system they finally seemed to be co-habiting with relative peace so I didn't wont to disturb them.

My pair has spawned at least 3 times, all observed within the first few months. At the time I was only still struggling to get any orchid dotties to survive so I didn’t think attempting such a nasty species would end well, and I also didn’t wont to disturb their spawning until they got into a cycle. In hindsight I probably should have stole those first few egg balls just to see :roll: . The male shows signs that he is tending eggs now but I am yet to see any more eggs

Ryan.
If your not failing some of the time, your not reaching far enough.
mrblue

Postby Bigsky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:22 am

This turned into a disaster yesterday I went to feed my fish and the smaller of the two Cypho purpurescens had jumped out of his cage and into the main tank with the other one, I don't know how he did it, there was only .5" gap between the top and his cage he literally slithered through it in mid air. but the smaller of the two probably will not live his tail is completely gone. :x
Ryan thank you for the input, and definitely get witts book it is the bible for marine breeders even if you know it all (witch I know nothing about this obviously)
Bigsky

Postby mrblue » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:31 pm

Sad to hear Bigsky. Even the most peaceful dotties can be extremely nasty(as I found when trying to pair my lone orchid male with one of his offspring), and your dealing with one of the nastiest. Don't give up hope on him yet, these fish can take quite a beating and still come good. If you can get him to a safer home and maybe treat him with anti-biotics he may come good.

I've ordered Witt's book, can't wait to read it. Oh, and if you meant I know it all, not true at all, I'm still quite a little fish compared to many on here, I've only been doing this for 4 years and there is still so much to learn, just not enough hours in the day.
If your not failing some of the time, your not reaching far enough.
mrblue

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:24 am

Bigsky wrote: but the smaller of the two probably will not live his tail is completely gone.

So what ever happened? Did it live? Die?
mpedersen
Read-Only

Return to Cypho