Removing Aiptasia from rock for Culture

Removing Aiptasia from rock for Culture

Postby skyeshoppe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:30 am

Hi everyone, I am new to this and this is my first post.

I have decided to try my hand at breeding berghia. I am starting with growing the aiptasia. I have built a setup with eight 10 gallon tanks and four 12 gallon Rubermaid containers for in-the-dark-culture. But currently, I only have about 50 or so aiptasia in one 10 gallon tank. All of them are on pieces of live rock that I have picked up from a few LFS. In my new setup I don't want put in any live rock to avoid accidentally adding predators to Berghia larvae. I have covered the bottoms of the tanks and containers with flat pieces of pvc that I would like to grow the aiptasia on.

I was wondering if anybody has any good ideas on how to remove the aiptasia from the rock to place in the tanks with the pvc. I have tried a razor but they always recede. I read somewhere online that if you put the rock in ice water the aiptasia will detach and float to the top. I tried taking a small rock and placing it in a small container with ice water and that didn't seem to work. The only other information I can find online is how to kill the aiptasia but unfortunately that is not what I am looking for. I am not really concerned about the harming the live rock. Except for one piece the rocks are more rock rubble than rock that I bought at a discount because they were covered in aiptasia. So if anybody has any ideas it would be more than appreciated.

Thanks
skyeshoppe

Re: Removing Aiptasia from rock for Culture

Postby Suzy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:07 am

I might try another route. Are you ok maintaining this tank for a while? Instead of taking these adults off the rock, you could get them to proliferate in this tank, then take the new ones to seed the other tanks. The spores from the adults will attach to the glass, or the sand bed and be much easier to move. I think if you disturb the adults now, you will wait much longer to get them to start sporulation.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby skyeshoppe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Suzy wrote:I might try another route. Are you ok maintaining this tank for a while? Instead of taking these adults off the rock, you could get them to proliferate in this tank, then take the new ones to seed the other tanks. The spores from the adults will attach to the *A--, or the sand bed and be much easier to move. I think if you disturb the adults now, you will wait much longer to get them to start sporulation.

That is another method I was thinking about. I don't have a sand bed in that tank, I have pieces of pvc. A few have started to grow on the pvc and I have razored them off into another tank but the problem is: more are growing on the rocks then the pvc. But the main reason why I would like to go this route is because if I can get them off the rocks I can remove the rocks and get more from my LFS and other hobbyist. If I can't get them off, I will be keeping this tank out of my new system and removing baby aiptasia as I see them.

Oh it might be helpful to let you know I can't stack the rocks too high I only keep 4 gallons in each tank to help reduce the amount of salt water needed for water changes.
skyeshoppe

Postby Suzy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Have you tried freshwater dipping the rocks? I do that and it seems the amphopods jump off. I am not sure you can count on all the amphopods larvae dying though. Maybe if you did it a few days in a row?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby skyeshoppe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Suzy wrote:Have you tried freshwater dipping the rocks? I do that and it seems the amphopods jump off. I am not sure you can count on all the amphopods larvae dying though. Maybe if you did it a few days in a row?

How would the aiptasia do in the freshwater? Would that harm them at all?
skyeshoppe

Postby Suzy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Mine do fine.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby skyeshoppe » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:02 am

How long do you dip the rock in fresh water for?
skyeshoppe

Postby Suzy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:46 am

Just a minute or so. Just long enough so the bristleworms came out and I could grab them with tweezers. I was trying to get the bristleworms off, because I am raising copepods, amphopods in my aiptasia tanks.

Another thing you could try is pointing a power head at them. They are mobile animals and they will move if they do not like where they are at. I also place a small rock on them in my display tanks. They will climb on to be on top. Maybe you could try that with a piece of PVC?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby kawicivic » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:36 am

I have found that putting the rocks into a dark tank for a week will make them start dying. They will turn real light colored pink and you will be able to suck them off with pipettes and add them to a tank with light and feed them to make them return to the form where they are able to reproduce. This has been the best method for me. You won't actually kill them, just make them go into survival mode. I am pretty sure they do this so that the current will move them to a better area. They will also release on their own using this method so check the walls and floor of the aquarium real good. I have also found that they will still reproduce in the dark but the offspring are very hard to see as they are very small. Once again, I attribute this to survival.
kawicivic

Postby snapper » Sat May 18, 2013 5:01 am

Have you tried putting a black plastic mesh pond plant holder over the rocks? I use these inverted over the rocks, after a few days the aips transfer to the plastic mesh, a clay pot also works as they come up thro the hole.
snapper

Return to Other Invertebrates