found baby sea hares

found baby sea hares

Postby jadeguppy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:49 am

I'm rather excited about what I found today. I saw what I assumed at first glance to be a nudibranch on my gorgonian. It appeared to be hanging from some invisible thread. Upon a closer look, it appears to be a baby sea hare. I took a closer look at the rock the gorgonian is on and found six more. I'm thinking they must have been hitchikers from the sea grass I picked up at MACNA. Any suggestions on how to raise them?
jadeguppy

Re: found baby sea hares

Postby BaboonScience » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:14 pm

I think that they eat algae, so they should do well on the epiphytes on that grass for a while.
How is the grass doing, BTW. Glad to hear from someone that got some of that stuff. Which types did you get?
I have some in a deep sand bed in one of my 120s. It seems to be growing well, but I have not seen any sea hares. I'll have to look harder.
Have you tried any of your horses in it?
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Re: found baby sea hares

Postby jadeguppy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Mine didn't get buried correctly, so I plan to redo it. Many of the blades have died, but he said that would happen. The rhisomes still look good, so I hope some added miracle mud and replanting will do the trick. I got both types. The long bladed grass started flaoting and the horses are hitching to it. They seem to love it. As soon as I get it set up better I plan to order some mysids and cross my fingers that a decent population can maintain itself in the grasses.

I'm currently running the 12g eclipse. As soon as the cloudyness fromt he sand goes away, I will be putting the bangaii in it. No more eating my seahorse fry! I'm tinkering with the idea of putting a harem of dalmation mollies in with the seahorses to provide them with additional food. I just need to see how the mollies feel about erectus babies...
jadeguppy

Return to Other Invertebrates