amphipods - more aggressive than I thought

amphipods - more aggressive than I thought

Postby Amie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:36 pm

I have always liked amphipods in my reef tank, they do such a great job keeping the tank healthy. So when I harvest macro algae from the tank, I end up trying to save as many pods as I can before throwing away the algae. (It drives my husband crazy.) Anyway, last night, while I was saving about 60 of them, I found a tiny brittle star fish in the algae as well. It wasn't looking too good, I think it had been out of the water a little too long, but it was still moving. I put it in the container with the other amphipods I had collected. Within 5 minutes, the starfish was completely covered with amphipods. They were ripping its legs off. Another hour and the entire star was completely gone.

I had been considering putting amphipods in the refugium of my new cleaner shrimp setup, but not now.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Re: amphipods - more aggressive than I thought

Postby Luis A M » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Long time ago,I used Gammarus as cleaners in my shrimp larval runs,no problems found.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Amie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Luis A M wrote:Long time ago,I used Gammarus as cleaners in my shrimp larval runs,no problems found.

That you know of...Just kidding. ;)

I still have the 60+ amphipods in a 1-gallon container and it has been interesting to watch them. They don't move at all during the day. And since I don't have a rock in with them, they all look dead on the bottom of the container. At 2am, they are swimming all over the place.

I found one that is dark blue and looks different than the typical Gammarus I am used to. It shimmers, or almost glows, at night.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby Luis A M » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Being able to mass produce amphipods would be great for seahorse and kin feeding.Plus baby Sepia.
The closer I was from that was when I made a combination ATS/wave machine.Lots of Gammarus came with the algae when it was serviced.
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Other Invertebrates