BC2010 - Corythoichthys Haematopterus - landlord

BC2010 - Corythoichthys Haematopterus - landlord

Postby landlord » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Greetings,

I'm onboard! Just received shipment yesterday. Four pipes, shipped from Califormia to Kentucky with no losses. All specimens were eating frozen cyclopeez within 3 hours of introduction. Currently they are being housed in one of my 10 gallon broodstock tanks. Barebottom tank with a raft of chaetomorpha and some coral skeletons.

Since I have absolutely no experience with pipefish (or seahorses) I will be spending the early part of the challenge observing behavior and reading all the other seahorse / pipefish breeding threads. Hopefully I can bypass any common mistakes that people may or may not have made in the past.

Here are a couple of photos of the foursome:

pipe1.jpg

pipe2.jpg

I look forward to this challenge, should be good fun!

Thanks

Kurt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--------------------------------------------
Kurt
landlord

Re: BC2010 - Corythoichthys Haematopterus - landlord

Postby D3monic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Very nice looking broodstock!
Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

Proud member of JARC (joliet area reef club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcuF4Wkcl8 Current Mood.
D3monic

Postby jadeguppy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Sweet! I'm having trouble finding them. Where did you get yours?
jadeguppy

Postby landlord » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:04 am

D3monic wrote:Very nice looking broodstock!

Thanks I was extremely pleased with how well they shipped and how quickly they took to eating frozen cyclopeez. Very interesting critters for sure.

jadeguppy wrote:Sweet! I'm having trouble finding them. Where did you get yours?

I was very lucky to find all of the broodstock for the challenges from Blue Zoo Aquatics. I believe they still had more. In any case they did a bang up job with shipping. They made it here during our first significant snowstorm with 18 degree F temps. No losses and I could have heated up leftovers in the packaging. I believe that they included like 4 monster sized heating packs.

:)
Kurt
landlord

Postby jadeguppy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:12 pm

I was pleased with how they shipped the one time I ordered from them. I'll have to look them up. :)
jadeguppy

Postby landlord » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:11 am

Have spent the last week simply feeding and observing the foursome. Some are better hunters than others. I have started feeding nhbbs just for fun and at least one of the four goes nuts for them. He devastates the tiny little fellas. Really fun to watch them.

Take Care
Kurt
landlord

Postby landlord » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:21 am

So whilst browsing another forum someone spoke about a black colored patch on the undersides of his DF pipefish possibly being a breeding pouch. Looking for some additional confirmation of this, as I have at least one of my four with this particular black colored area on his underside. Any thoughts???

Thanks
Kurt
landlord

Postby D3monic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:26 pm

That was me, I had picked up a pair and one of them had a very prounounced dark area. HMA aka Heinz confirmed that it was a male and most likely with eggs. Unfortunatly it disapeared the same night I released it into my display tank. I hope to get a replacement soon.

Here's the picture I had posted.

Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

Proud member of JARC (joliet area reef club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcuF4Wkcl8 Current Mood.
D3monic

Postby landlord » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:55 am

I have been watching some unusual behavior from several of the pipefish I am keeping. It is as if 2 of the pipes are performing some bizarre ritualistic dance around another specimen. There is quite a bit of physical contact between each of the "suitors" and this one lone specimen. Some observations include what appears to be one if the pipes tail standing on the bottom of the tank and then swimming around, in the upright position back and forth in front of this observing loner. At other times I notice one of the pipes "rolling" it's body of this one pipe. Like twirling a pencil with your fingers. It's like watching a crocodile do a death roll, only with pipefish. One will twirl over top of the other over and over again. Very interesting to watch. These two will perform for several hours at a time. The physical contact can get quite intense whereas one will rub the body of the other back and forth many many times.

Take Care :)
Kurt
landlord

Postby landlord » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:17 am

Kinda of an unpleasant update. The fish that I spoke of above as the loner, or the one who had the other fish dancing around it had died. Wasn't eating very well. So.... perhaps all the parading from the previous post was some bizarre death ritual for soon to be departed fish. :) In any case I have 3 specimens left, all of which have put on weight, it is obvious that they have been eating.
Kurt
landlord

Postby landlord » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:34 am

Nothing good is happening with my pipefish. Out of the original 4 I am now down to the last fish. Other then BBS they simply will not eat anything I try and provide them with. Very tough nut to crack, I can only gather you would need a very well established and LARGE tank to be able to maintain the health of these guys. After losing 3, I do not know if it would be worthwhile for me to pick up anymore to continue with this effort. We'll see how things go.
Kurt
landlord

Postby dtfleming » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:16 am

Need to try and feed them some copepods
dtfleming

Postby landlord » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:18 am

I agree, too little too late I fear, I need to grow some first (or next time) The frustrating part is that they won't even touch frozen copepods.
Kurt
landlord

Postby dtfleming » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Nope, and make sure you have lots and lots of pods.
dtfleming

Postby Hellaenergy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:41 am

How's the remaining fish doing, landlord?
Hellaenergy

State/Region: unknown

Postby landlord » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:30 am

The remaining fish is doing well, but then I thought the others were too! As it was stated earlier not having a ready supply of properly sized live feeds was a big flub on my part. So about all I can do is flood the guy with BBS but I suspect he/she burns more energy hunting and eating then he is getting back. Then again it's tough to say if I would have any better luck even with a ready supply of benthic copepods for it to feed on either.

I am on the fence as to whether I should move this fella to my large SPS tank where he will have ample opportunities to feed amongst the liverock, I do not think I'll be on the fence for long though. Simply put I do not have the space to set up anything larger as far as a broodstock tank goes where I would be able to grow enough food for one or more of them to thrive, yet still be able to capture fry, etc...

Kurt
Kurt
landlord

Postby landlord » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:47 am

Well I'm out of this race. I resigned myself to defeat and decided it would simply be better if the last pipe got to go out to pasture. He is now happily cruising around my 2.5 year old reef. It was very interesting to see him immediately start following around a very large yellow multi banded pippe. Actually it was sad because he tried hard to keep up with him in the flow of the tank and didn't look to be making a lot of ground. All in all he'll be much happier in his new tank once he figures out the currents :)

Good Luck to those left, I hope you crack the case on these guys.
Kurt
landlord

Return to Other Syngnathids