Eggs disappear but cant see the babies

Eggs disappear but cant see the babies

Postby malau » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:38 am

I got a pair of CBS few wks ago and gave birth a week after that which I missed. This time she got eggs however now the eggs disappeared (< 7 days from I can see the eggs) but I cant find any babies. There are many copepods in my (Breeding) tank. Is that reason why?

Also I was expecting while she is carrying eggs she should have another green patch near her back for the next round but I cant see any, are there any reasons why?

Thanks for the help
malau

Re: Eggs disappear but cant see the babies

Postby spawner » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:56 am

Likely she ate the eggs. They might have not developed properly. What is your temperature?
spawner

Postby malau » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:16 am

spawner wrote:Likely she ate the eggs. They might have not developed properly. What is your temperature?

Around 24-26'c . I got a male for her and I saw one of the website once they are paired no other male/female can separate them, is that true?

Btw whats the ratio of male:female if I want to breed? should I get 1 male : 2 female?
malau

Postby spawner » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:43 pm

They are pair bonded. One male and one female. If you have them mated, leave the pair along, don't attempt to re-mate them unless you have plenty of time to observe them. They will shred other shrimp. We are working on a breeding study and making pairs is always interesting, not always good outcomes as often if the female is not receptive she tares the male into pieces in about 30 seconds. Stress will even cause the female to kill the male.
spawner

Postby malau » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:17 pm

spawner wrote:They are pair bonded. One male and one female. If you have them mated, leave the pair along, don't attempt to re-mate them unless you have plenty of time to observe them. They will shred other shrimp. We are working on a breeding study and making pairs is always interesting, not always good outcomes as often if the female is not receptive she tares the male into pieces in about 30 seconds. Stress will even cause the female to kill the male.

Thanks I got this pair from LFS however they have few pairs and not sure if I got the right pair :(
malau

Postby malau » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Btw I may change the diet from mysis shrimp to some bbs...
malau

Postby spawner » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:30 pm

If they are living together you have a pair. You know know if you have spousal issues, claws and legs will be lost.
spawner

Postby malau » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:42 pm

spawner wrote:If they are living together you have a pair. You know know if you have spousal issues, claws and legs will be lost.

Thanks for the tip . The legs and claws are still attached :P however it seems that they tried to scare each other by their claws before..
malau

Postby spawner » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 pm

When you first put them in the tank together? If so that is normal, they taste (think smell, but its really taste) each other, then the female will accept or rip the poor male to pieces.
spawner

Postby malau » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 pm

spawner wrote:When you first put them in the tank together? If so that is normal, they taste (think smell, but its really taste) each other, then the female will accept or rip the poor male to pieces.

LOL yeah iirc probably happened during the first week or so (not always happen, maybe once or twice a week as I can see)
malau

Return to Stenopodidea - Boxing Shrimps