Stenopus pyrsonotus pair

Stenopus pyrsonotus pair

Postby FuEl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:08 am

Could'nt find any photos of a pair of this species online...

Found a female today and put it with my male. They are now a pair. :lol:

Female is on the left, male on the right. Notice the differences in colouration and the carapace. :)

Will I be trying to rear the larvae from this pair? I might..but I would be out of my mind to do so. :lol:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Clownfish75 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:37 am

HI Junkai

What was the eventual result with those stenopus you reared here at JCU, i could swear one went to metamorphosis but i suspect died. i dont know how long it was though, What ever happened ot the rest?

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby DThom » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:27 am

Very cool looking shrimp. I have always thought it was cool the way you could see the ripening eggs inside the female. Very unique color.
DThom

Postby FuEl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:17 am

Christian.. I never knew what happened to them...from what I was told none of them settled? It was frustrating rearing them, they never seemed to grow after 30 days.

DThom, I was lucky in selecting a female. It actually just kind of looked like the size a female would be, which was why I bought it. I had confirmation at home after acclimatizing the shrimp as I noticed it had some eggs attached. Looks like they were going to hatch but I'll skip them as such larvae usually don't do so well after all the shipping stress.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Re: Stenopus pyrsonotus pair

Postby Chad Vossen » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:35 pm

anything come of this pair? any attempts?
Chad Vossen

Postby Luis A M » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:31 am

Nice shrimps,Junkai :D And you should try raising them!.For one thing,some Stenopus other than hispidus could be less dificult to raise.Supposedly J.Lin raised scutellatus,but Andy could tell us more about that :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby FuEl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:47 pm

Well the female killed the male after a few days of getting along. My tank might had been too small. :oops: I worked with a friend on scutellatus but we never had any settlement on bbs alone. The larvae just got bigger like usual stenopus larvae without much dramatic morphological changes.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby spawner » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:18 pm

are you sure it was scutellatus and not the pacific golden banded shrimp, has blue legs?

They are a pain aren't they.
spawner

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:33 am

Junkai,

funny I had it the other way arround and have one male left - in 300 g. This shrimp is never to see in the light phase
Its ashame that there are so many miles / Kilometers to cover - we would have one nice pair of shrimps:D
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby FuEl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:33 am

Hi Andy, I have worked with cyanoscelis before so I do know the ones I had were scutellatus. They were shipped across from the U.S and they did'nt have blue legs. They did'nt come as cheap compared to cyanoscelis too. :P The larvae grew real slowly on NHBBS alone so I think some additional enrichment/live feed would be needed.

Peter, you mean you tried to pair the shrimps up in a 300g tank and the male killed the female? My female was in the tank first so that might have been why she became the killer instead. To think I tried to pair them up in a floor area of 2ftx1.5ft. :oops:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:33 am

Junkai,
I purchased them together. But she had molting issues. Twice I could save her - once not ...
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby spawner » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm interbreeding CBS from the Atlantic and Pacific at the movement. Normally if you get a male and female you get a pair. You know with in a few minutes if you have a pair or not. Also it seems that if you wait until the female molts, and put in the male in you instantly get a pair.
spawner

Postby Luis A M » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:02 am

Yes,mating Stenopus involves placing two suspected to be a female/male couple separeted with eggcrate.Inmediately after the female molts,put them together,and watch closely.If the other shrimp was a male,he will try to mate with the female,stay close to her and thereafter,live together as a pair.If it comes to a killing game,you probably had two females.
This I´ve tried many times and should be a standard method por pairing Stenopus :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby FuEl » Tue May 12, 2009 6:07 am

And so I have gotten myself a new male. Males do seem to be less stocky and have a yellowish tinge to their claws. This guy is separated from the female for now by a floating basket. I will wait for the female to moult this time. Hopefully a successful pairing this time. I'll still be pairing them in a 2ft tank as I do not have bigger quarters besides my sump. :) Will I be trying to raise their larvae? I might try, since so far they are the only Stenopus species commanding high prices.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby FuEl » Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Came home today and found the male just beside the female. Apparently he escaped and now is in the same cave as the female. The female seems to accept him and does not exhibit any aggression, but interestingly shows some slight submissive behavior although she is larger. :shock:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Luis A M » Tue May 12, 2009 1:31 pm

You were lucky to find them in one piece! :P
I think they are the largest Stenopus sp?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby FuEl » Sat May 16, 2009 9:18 am

Yes Luis, I think they are the largest Stenopus sp.

Both shrimps molted today. :D
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby FuEl » Mon May 18, 2009 11:59 am

The female has eggs. :mrgreen:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Return to Stenopodidea - Boxing Shrimps