Breeding Stenopus scutellatus (golden banded boxing shrimp)

Re: Breeding Stenopus scutellatus (golden banded boxing shri

Postby ShannPeach » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Gone! Waiting for the next hatch to start over. Bleh.
ShannPeach

State/Region: Wisconsin

Postby Luis A M » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:55 pm

No problem.It is a success so far.Think that you have gone further than anybody.Larval raising is for talented or stubborn folks.I am the last.And you are both! 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby ShannPeach » Tue May 06, 2014 11:58 am

Had a hatch last night (with a partial hatch the night before). So today, 5-6-2014 is Day 1 of this new attempt. I started them in a 3L bottle with rotifers, tetraselmis, Isochrysis, and RG complete. My goal is to rely more heavily on copepods whenever possible. I'm currently scaling up my Apocyclops for this purpose (and for the Alpheus larvae).

Here we go again....
ShannPeach

Postby Amie » Fri May 09, 2014 1:19 pm

I hope you are not discouraged because you have made great progress, your efforts so far have been amazing. It is interesting that you mention the same issues at 60 days that others have had with the lysmata amboinensis - they seem to go into a holding pattern indefinitely. It is like they are waiting for something.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby ShannPeach » Fri May 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Thanks! And I wouldn't say I'm discouraged, more so just frustrated. It's hard to be four months into a larval run and have them die lol.

As to the hold pattern...yes, that seems to be exactly what they are doing. I suspect it may be a nutritional issue. Those last developmental stages (I would imagine) are very energy/resource intensive and they just don't get enough from the bbs. Which is why this time I think I may try to switch them from rotifers to Apocylcops, with only supplemental bbs. I chose Apo mainly because they are easy to culture in high numbers, which I will likely need :) I will offer other copepod species as I have them available, but will likely mainly rely on the Apocyclops. We shall see. I haven't been able to do a water change on the last hatch yet, but will do so tonight and will check how they are doing. I got a new microscope that I want to tinker around with anyway :D
ShannPeach

Postby ShannPeach » Sun May 18, 2014 1:16 pm

I have a batch at day 13, and they were switched to Apocyclops copepods a couple days ago.
ShannPeach

Postby Luis A M » Sun May 18, 2014 6:51 pm

ShannPeach wrote:Thanks! And I wouldn't say I'm discouraged, more so just frustrated. It's hard to be four months into a larval run and have them die lol.

Tell me that! :D Amboinensis take 5 months...
I also suspected that feeding copepods instead of bbs would be the magic bullet :? .But I didn´t obtain any clear improvement with them.It is worth to keep exploring though. :wink:
Good luck with the new run! :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Salarias » Sun May 03, 2015 2:37 pm

Hello Shann. Any updates so far?
Salarias

State/Region: Mexico

Previous

Return to Stenopodidea - Boxing Shrimps