Lysmata boggessi -- MarkD

Lysmata boggessi -- MarkD

Postby MarkD » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Broodstock
There are two broodstock housed in a mixed reef tank. They have been regularly holding eggs since being bought to combat an outbreak of aiptasia (which they did very quickly). I'm not sure if they are boggessi, i've attached some pictures in case someone can confirm or otherwise.

Larval collection

I made and tried using a collector as described in April Kirkendoll's book but didn't have any success - that would be down to me and not the design though. I then copied Chad Vossen's design and made a similar collector.

I've made two successful collections with this, the first on 11th August 2011 and the second on 8th September 2011. The larvae trapped in the collector have been syphoned into jugs (using possibly too wide a tube) and then moved into the larval tank(s).

Larval tanks

24"x12"x15" roughly 70 litres, air pump for circulation, heater set to 25C, one 15W T8 for lighting on for 8 hours.

Collection 1

Hundreds of larvae were collected early on the morning of 11/08/2011 and transferred to one larval tank with a spherical airstone in it and approx 4 inches of salt-water. I was off work and so fed powdered flake approx 4 or 5 times during the day. At around 18:00 the following day there were no visible live larvae in the tank. I decided a number of things could have caused this, primarily overfeeding and possibly not enough water in the tank and I also decided to try using Cyclopeeze instead of flake next time around.

Collection 2

Hundreds of larvae were collected early on the morning of 08/09/2011 and transferred to two larval tanks, both with about 6 inches of water in, heaters at 25C, one with a spherical airstone in and one with just an airline in (I didn't have another small airstone - bad planning as I thought I had two).

Day 1 I fed powdered flake once after transfer, roughly 07:00, and then again at approx 18:00.

Day 2 at about 07:00 I added about 4 litres of water to each tank and then fed powdered flake. While at work I remembered I was going to change to Cyclopeeze and so at ~18:00 I fed Cyclopeeze. Since then every day has been 2 feeds of Cyclopeeze with between 4 and 6 litres of new water added in the morning. The only deviation from this has been that I cleaned up the bottom of one of the tanks on 13/09/2011 - I had planned on leaving this until the second week but I decided I would try it before having to do it routinely.

Observations

I've done the thread so I can have a record that might help me in the future and because i'm on the cusp of one of the critical stages going off the Kirkendoll book - Day 6/7. I can say at this point that there are plenty of survivors so far in one tank, in the other tank it's less easy to tell (one is painted, one is just covered by a black bin liner and there is a lot of reflection from the sides) but there are visible larvae in it. I might be wrong but it does appear that in one of the tanks (the one with the airstone in) the larvae seem to be bigger than those in the other tank. I've seen larvae take and eat the Cyclopeeze i've been feeding and i'm presuming that they must be eating something to have made it this far. I'm not sure if there's much of a difference but I've read other reports about using Cyclopeeze that have used the freeze dried version, i've been using the freezer bar as that's what is available more in the UK. I've found taking photos to be almost impossible with my skills and camera but i've added some from day 2(ish) that are the best i've managed so far - hopefully I'll get a few to last a bit longer and get some better pictures.

<Yes this is L. boggessi>
MarkD

Re: Lysmata boggessi -- MarkD

Postby EasterEggs » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:16 pm

You're a step ahead of me! I'm still trying to catch a batch. Have you considered using NHBBS as a first food? From what I understand this is typical.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby Rocky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:22 pm

The larvae trap looks good, what did you use as a light source?
Rocky

State/Region: ohio

Postby spawner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:12 pm

That looks like Chad Vossen's larval traps. I think he supplies an LED light with them.
spawner

Postby MarkD » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Here's the light I use, it's a cheap blue LED strip attached to a magnetic cleaner.

MarkD

Postby MarkD » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Quick updates:

Day 9 (16092011)
Last day for adding water rather than doing changes, although could possibly have carried on for 1/2 days.

Day 10 (17092011)
Siphoned the bottom of both tanks ~5 litre pwc on both.

Day 11 (18092011)
~4 litre pwc both tanks.

Day 12 (19092011)
Added air stone to the tank without one. ~4 litres pwc on both which bought a new nightmare into play - rescuing escapees, would have lost around 15 if I hadn't spent a long time staring. Could see visible spear legs on survivors in both tanks.

Day 13 (20092011)
Added ~4 litres water to each tank. Attempted some photos, best effort is below - hard to make out but it's a 13 day old shrimp larvae wrestling with cyclopeeze.

MarkD

Postby Suzy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:15 pm

How cool!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Awesome!
EasterEggs

Postby natureAddict » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:25 am

real interesting.
did your frys survived with crushed flakes and air stone for 13 days?, together with cyclopeez,
just wondering - flakes would float, then sink to the bottom, but the frys are in mid water - cant figure out.

i have one pregnant too, coming soon , n i would probably put her into the nursery tank to release her fry. learning alot from you guys
natureAddict

Postby MarkD » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:19 pm

The flake was only used on the first day and for one feed on the second day, and only then because I forgot I had decided to switch and try cyclopeeze. Since then it's just been two feeds of cyclopeeze a day. As for the larvae being in the water column - i've seen a lot of them feeding from the bottom.

Quick update

Day 14 (21092011)
Siphoned the bottom of both tanks, pwc of ~4 litres in each. Had to make a decision today as I could see that another batch would be spawned overnight. Decided to collect them and put them into the rearing tank that had by far the fewest existing larvae in.

Day 15 (22092011)
Collector did it's job, siphoned the new larvae into a 2 litre jug - this time using 6mm tubing. Added the larvae to the selected tank. Decided to do a water change rather than siphon the bottoms, and instead of just siphoning out I used a 70ml scoop to do it a scoop at a time (also switched to pm instead of am). Sounds tedious but saved a lot of time looking for escapees and so I might do this on days I don't clean the bottom. Here's a picture of what was collected this morning.

After the pwc and feed tonight I was just watching one of the older ones moving around near the side of one of the tanks and saw it swim backwards about half the length of the tank and then capture a bit of cyclopeeze which really put a smile on my face.
MarkD

Postby MarkD » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:49 am

Day 16 (23092011)
~4 litre pwc both tanks. I think there are less survivors in the tank that was originally the more full one, which is not really unexpected - I don't actually expect to get any through to settlement this time so it's more a case of seeing how far I can get. One of the escapees out of that tank tonight was much smaller and less developed than others in the tank so there must be larvae at different stages in there.

Day 17 (24092011)
The tank with the new batch in as well as the old ones was looking a bit milky and definitely had a smell to it that wasn't right (I had thought previously it looked a little bit cloudy but wasn't sure if it was just the lighting etc). Also realised that I had let the SG creep up and it was too high so in the final stupid mistake I siphoned 2 litres of plain RO into both in one go. I had to go out and didn't get back until much later and was greeted by basically almost empty tanks - at most about 2 survivors in one tank.

I saw one survivor on the 25th but it was gone by this morning (the 26th), although i'm going to ignore that and take it that I got them to Day 17 this time.

Time to sterilise the tanks, have a think about how to improve things, and wait for the next batch.
MarkD

Postby EasterEggs » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:11 am

You're doing better than me! I killed mine off with ammonia...ack. Congrats on your accomplishments so far!
EasterEggs

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps