Lysmata boggessi - EasterEggs

Re: Lysmata boggessi - EasterEggs

Postby EasterEggs » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Ok, I will use reef water poured through a 53 micron sieve. I thought of making (or buying) a coarser sieve that is big enough to let the BBS through, but I don't have any mesh that big. I will look at making an order on Amazon.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 pm

I collected the biggest batch to date on Feb 24th. That morning I couldn't find the two left in the (then) 13 dph batch, so I put the new larvae in that 2 gallon bowl. The new batch was too crowded in the 2 gallon bowl though, so that evening I moved 1/3 of them to a 1 gallon bowl. This will be interesting because then I can try an experiment with the split batch. I've never had a batch big enough to split. Just looking now I think there could be over 300 in the latest batch that is now 2 dph. No noticeable die-off yet. I will have to be very careful about water quality I'm sure as I think they are more crowded than they should be. They are about 100 per gallon right now if my estimate is any good. Interestingly, I just fed the vessels frozen Cyclopeeze and was observing the larvae feeding and I noticed that the two from the previous batch are still in the vessel! They really aren't much bigger, but I can tell them apart because they have longer eye stalks and more legs/swimmers. So those two are 14 dph today! Woohoo!

I have to get the nitrate down in the broodstock system though...sitting about 40-50 ppm and lost an adult shrimp a few days ago. I just mixed up a bunch of new saltwater a couple days ago so I can do a big waterchange today. I'm going to go do that right now actually.
Last edited by EasterEggs on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Sweet! Strong work!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:20 am

Last batch is 13 dph now and probably 40 of them left or so.

One of the adult shrimp was holding a massive batch of eggs and I decided to try something different to collect the larvae. I put her into a 5 gallon aquarium that I plan to try using as a larvae vessel with the next batch. Most of the eggs on the shrimp hatched lastnight, but not a one are in the aquarium so I must assume the shrimp ate them! Dangit I forgot about that! The shrimp is still holding some eggs that I imagine will hatch tonight so I put a piece of cross stitch mesh in the tank to hold the shrimp over to one side and I will put a light up on the other side to draw the larvae away from it.

Right now this is the only shrimp producing eggs, although I see one other shrimp is developing eggs behind its head in one of the other tanks.
EasterEggs

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:28 am

Yeah, that new idea for collecting the larvae by putting the shrimp in the vessel was an epic fail - even when I tried to cordon the shrimp and added the light. Didn't collect even one larva. So...won't do that again. Waste of a big batch too! Argh. I might try it again, but use the Chad Vossen larvae trap within the 5 gallon tank. I like the idea of not having to move the larvae.

The last larva died Friday from the last batch. That one made it to 15 dph. Hmm, I'm really stuck at that mark now, but hey better than the 2 dph I was stuck at a couple months ago!

I have 2 "pairs" breeding now (I had some murderous clowns, and had to relocate some shrimp). Shrimp in tank 1 started holding Friday and shrimp in tank 2 started holding Saturday. I notice it is always the bigger shrimp that develops and holds eggs in the "pair", where the smaller one of the "pair" never holds eggs. Now the boring wait...
EasterEggs

Previous

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps