Lysmata boggessi - EasterEggs

Re: Lysmata boggessi - EasterEggs

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi Suzy! I was wondering where you were...I was going to send PM tonight to check if everything was ok (you're usually on here everyday).

Heater mishaps drive me nuts. I have two heaters in all my systems, neither of which are large enough to cook a tank by themselves, but still big enough to keep a tank warm if the other quits. Since I started doing that about 10 years ago I haven't had any more heater mishaps...until now! Of course a 1 gallon fish bowl can easily be nuked with a 25 watt heater. Ack! Anyway, I did end up losing that whole batch the next day...I'm pretty sure it was because of the high temp. So I don't have any shrimp larvae right now. I have eggs on one that should release in the next couple days.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:31 pm

I was attacked last week by a sadistic dentist....I have had my face on ice ever since!

Have you seen those tiny strip type heaters for tiny tanks? There is no heat settings but they look interesing.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Amie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:52 pm

I hate heater mishaps as well, had plenty of them. I have used the flat heaters that Suzy is talking about or a plant germination seed mat for the 1-gallon tanks. Both have worked well, but don't get the temperature up as high as I would like. If I insulate the tank, then the temperature stays about where I want it.

Glad you are back, Suzy.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby Suzy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:40 pm

You are too kind! No wonder we all love you!

You have tried the super small flat ones that go inside the tanks?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 am

Oh yikes! Sadist dentist? Oh my! I hope you are feeling better now!

I haven't tried any of these ideas. My plan is to setup a 15 gallon tank with a heater and powerhead and set the fish bowls inside it. I think they will fit in a 15...haven't actually tried yet. I have around 30 tanks...I'm sure one of them will work! I really want to fill the bottom little bot of the bowl with liquid acrylic or something. Maybe I can cut a piece of white acrylic and silicone it in. The little lip that is in the bottom catches the larvae.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:44 pm

That is what I do. I have a 20 long with a heater, and fish bowls and mayonnaise jars in them. Easy peasy mac n cheesy.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 am

So that's easy right Suzy? Jeez, where's your English? :p
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:32 am

LOL!

I am so glad you are here. I love your posts!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:33 am

Aw thanks Suzy! I sure enjoy your posts too! :)

Not much action in the boggessi tank...one shrimp is close to releasing though, maybe tonight.
EasterEggs

Postby Luis A M » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Suzy,I keep wondering,so I´ll ask again:who is the model in your avatar? :?
Eggs,I have 26 Z9 at 35 days,slow developers :|
Luis
Luis A M

Postby EasterEggs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Luis, you're 35 days ahead of me...ah the ups and downs of breeding! ;)
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:53 pm

Me!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Luis A M » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Suzy,I imagined it was you.Is that a mermaid or some underwater scene?.Nice!
Mindy,could you get Calado´s paper at last?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby EasterEggs » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:34 pm

No, I don't think I have found the right one yet Luis. I am using Google "Calado Rhyne upweller". I have found a few papers on raised decapods, and mentions of the "Calado style upweller" all over the place, but having trouble finding the upwellers themselves!
EasterEggs

Postby Luis A M » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:52 am

Give me an e-mail address.;)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:49 am

EasterEggs

Postby EasterEggs » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:38 pm

I took a break from these shrimp for awhile partly because they quit breeding (for the most part) in the high nitrate 40 gallon breeder tank they were all in, and partly because my method wasn't working so I was trying to figure out an upweller idea, and a way to either buy one or make one at a reasonable price. These avenues didn't work out for me, so I just put the project on the back burner. I moved the shrimp into my broodstock tanks putting a pair of shrimp in with each pair of clownfish. The shrimp resumed breeding regularly now, and I recently read some info that "FuEl" posted on another forum about his style of raising Peppermint shrimp. So here I am trying out his idea which involves using cylindrical containers, doing 100% daily waterchanges to remove uneaten food animals, and using very fine bubbles rather than rigid airline tubing.

So I collected a batch of larvae this morning. The shrimp released the larvae on the 10th day after spawning. Not very many - maybe 20 or 30. I put them into the only cylindrical container I have which is about 5" round and 13-14" water depth. I lost my measuring tape. I have just a gentle bubble going through a glass bead airstone, and I really like the very gentle flow that is going on in there. No larvae are settling on the bottom of the container, and the larvae aren't getting beat up by big bubbles. I'm trying to get used to how long the shrimp are holding the eggs before releasing larvae, and I'm not very good at it yet, so I didn't have NHBBS ready. I added rotifers at about 5-10/mL, and there are maybe 30% left (12 hours later). I just added NHBBS at about 5/mL. No greenwater. I'm going to follow FuEl's advice and pipette the shrimp out tomorrow, sieve the rotifers and BBS out, then reuse 50% of the water and add 50% "new" water from the broodstock system. I'm chicken to do 100% while they are so young.

On another note, my snagger isn't working as well in my broodstock tanks as it did in my larger quarantine tank. I'm wondering why...maybe the clowns are eating the larvae when they see them in the LED light? Maybe I should try making the light less bright? Maybe having the shrimp broodstock in with the clown broodstock is not a good idea? Hmm...

EasterEggs

Postby Luis A M » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:54 am

You can also try my jar method.I had some limited success with it in the past :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Well heck, that didn't last! They are all dead this morning!

What happened? Did I add too many NHBBS? Maybe my guesstimates of number per mL are not correct. I had AmQuel in there, so it shouldn't be ammonia. How long is starvation for these shrimp? Maybe I only imagined the rotifer numbers dropping. They were about 18 hours old before they got the NHBBS. WTH?

I will take a look at your jar method Luis. Thanks.

EDIT: I found your jars method Luis - wow lots of info in that Crustacean Culture thread! It's going to take me quite some time to make it through that one! viewtopic.php?f=141&t=722 Your jars method sounds very similar to what I am trying except I am using pipette for transferring the larvae (didn't get that far though) and airstone.

Luis A M wrote:The jars method
I use plastic gallon jars,containing three L of water.Jars are tilted and gently aerated by a rigid plastic line.
Everyday the water of the flasks is strained thru a 400 mic sieve that holds the larvae while all uneaten bbs is disposed.Larvae are then resuspended in clean water and fed.Larvae seem to tolerate well this treatment,but to reduce the chances of trauma,I strain them gently and without removing the larvae from water.To do this I glued three equidistant short pieces of rigid air line at the borders of a Petri dish.The sieve fits into the dish and rests on the three plastic pieces,so that water can run without exposing the larvae to the air.An eggcrate piece supports the sieve and dish over a bucket,thus letting the water overflow into it.
If so desired,the sieve and dish can be put under the diss.microscope everyday and larval evolution be closely monitored.
EasterEggs

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Jan 31 I collected about 40-50 shrimp larvae from a mall shrimp. This is the first time I am using RODI as source water in the larvae vessel. I have been using tap water treated with AmQuel (to remove ammonia resulting from chloramines) in the past.

I lost a small handful the first day...maybe 8-10? My BS eggs weren't hatching (prob too long decapped) so I am trying this batch strictly on frozen Cyclopeeze. I have been seeing the shrimp larvae hanging onto Cyclopeeze regularly where I never saw that with NHBBS. I did a 75% waterchange on the evening of the first day. Since I am using frozen food I will siphon the bottom in the mornings and do 100% waterchanges in the evenings. I set the jug of waterchange water into the tank holding the larvae vessel so that the temp will match exactly. The Cyclopeeze stays suspended in the water column fairly well, but a couple times a day I use the gentle current from a turkey baster to stir it up. I was losing a few day, and am currently down to about 18 today which is 5 DPH. This batch isn't developing very evenly though which is interesting and possibly linked to the Cyclopeeze as food?
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:32 am

Maybe. I use cyclopeeze for clarkii clownfish larvae.

I wonder about using freshly mixed saltwater as replacement water. I use cycled water from my display tanks. I read that in Witts book. I struggled with ywg larvae and did not have any success until I started using cycled water.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:43 am

That's a thought too. I really only lost them during the first two days, after that I've only lost 1-2 per day. I would have to take water from my reef though because the broodstock system has nitrate about 25 ppm.
EasterEggs

Postby Luis A M » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Suzy wrote:Maybe. I use cyclopeeze for clarkii clownfish larvae.

I wonder about using freshly mixed saltwater as replacement water. I use cycled water from my display tanks. I read that in Witts book. I struggled with ywg larvae and did not have any success until I started using cycled water.

See also my chat with Rob Toonen here.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby EasterEggs » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:17 am

Oh, didn't see your reply Luis. I will check that out for sure.

My latest batch is 12 dph which is my new record. There are only 2 of them though. Haha. Keeping larvae damage in mind, I have been bottom siphoning once a day and then once a day I do a 50% waterchange by floating a sieve and siphoning out of the sieve so the shrimp larvae are not getting transferred back into the vessel with a pipette except for the odd one that gets siphoned out during the bottom siphoning. So I guess it is possible that handling them less makes a difference. This last batch is in a 2 gallon fish bowl kriesel, so maybe that is what is helping...hmm.

I should be collecting another batch of larvae tonight. With this new batch I will continue the waterchange method. I would like to try to figure out a way to get BBS out without having to transfer the shrimp larvae so I can add BBS every second day so that I can have two food sources (BBS and frozen Cyclopeeze). Any ideas? ...Or maybe I will try Suzy's idea and use cycled water (although I don't have a source for clean cycled water other than maybe the reef tank.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 am

I use water from my reef tank. It is cycled, warm and clean.

If you made a sieve out if PVC and just the right mesh size, maybe you could just keep doing it the way you are?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

PreviousNext

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps