Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 40 gallon breeder, 36x18x16"
Substrate Details: Crushed coral and live rock rubble
Filtration Details: No filtration
Water Changes: Weekly 20%, tap water
Water Temperature: 80-82 F
Lighting: Natural
Lighting Cycle: Changes with the time of year
Other Tank Inhabitants: Pair of Banggai, pair of Clowns, pair of Orchid Dottys.

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Frozen: PE mysis, bloodworms, plankton, marine cuisine. New Era Marine Flake. Going to start NHBBS tomorrow.
Feeding Schedule: 2-3 times per day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: Shortly after I received them.
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: Haven't seen anything else, but I have been away from home for a few months.

Larval Tank Details
Size of Larval Tank: 2 gallon goldfish bowl; kreisel
Substrate Details: None
Other Tank Decor: Nothing
Filtration Details: Daily waterchanges [not at this point yet]
Lighting: Natural
Lighting Cycle: Changes with time of year
Water Changes: 20% daily? [not at this point yet]

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: NHBBS
Feeding Schedule: 3x per day? [not at this point yet]

Now I'm at home again I can focus on getting these guys into breeding condition. I'm going to start feeding NHBBS a couple times per day...I just started a batch now. I have to check nitrate...with no filtration on the tank it may be higher than it should be.

Last edited by EasterEggs on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Re: Lysmata boggessi - EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:01 am

Good luck!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby spawner » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:00 pm

Can you post a picture so I can ID it for you?
spawner

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 pm

I have a shrimp holding eggs this morning! :mrgreen: Now I better go read a whole bunch more...I have no idea how long the shrimp will hold them for, nor do I know how to catch the larvae. Since the shrimp are in with fish that would be predators I will have to figure out a way to confine the shrimp...or something?? Off to go read...

Thanks Suzy. I think your luck worked!

spawner, I added a photo to the original post. It was taken in April. I had 6 of them in the tank, but I moved 3 out. I'm not sure which particular ones are pictured, although the bigger one in the photo is the shrimp I have that's holding eggs right now. I remember that because it was the biggest one. I did inspect them all, and they all appear to be boggessi. I have a trio of wurdemanni (supposedly) waiting for me to pick up at a nearby LFS too. :D
EasterEggs

Postby spawner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:31 am

You are correct, they are boggessi. Good luck. 12 days is about the incubation period at 80F. You'll see the eggs swell and turn silver in color.
spawner

Postby Suzy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:17 am

I have a larvae catcher in with mine. They are attracted to the light so I do get some one them. But, my gobies get a few too....
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks for the tips spawner!

Suzy, I haven't been able to figure out how either the larvae catcher or a snagger work. I will hunt around and see what I can come up with. I was thinking of separating the shrimp into a breeder's net when it is nearly due to hatch. Will the shrimp eat the newly released larvae?

EDIT: Ah, I see a person uses the larvae catcher at night, and makes use of a small light to attract the larvae. Ok, I get it. CPR makes one for $120. Ouch. Maybe I need to get in line for the ones sold on here. =]
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:59 am

That is the one I have, works great. And, at night. Yes, the adult shrimp will eat the larvae.

If you have the gravid shrimp in a breeders net, the larvae would escape into the tank. If you seperated them into an empty tank, I think that would work.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Ok thanks for answering all the questions Suzy! I figured the shrimp larvae would probably go through the breeder net. I sent a PM for a larvae trap, so hopefully I will hear back from him soon. If it doesn't arrive in time I will build one like April Kirkendoll's DIY trap.

On another note, my bs eggs aren't hatching. 36 hours since mixing. I'm going to try decapsulating. From what I've read today, it is a practice I should be doing all the time not only for faster hatch, but also for sterilization. I am using the little tray that you screw a pop in the top, and use airline tubing in the bottom. I just have it on my kitchen counter. I am considering placing it in the sump of my reef tank for heat, but worry about a "dirty" spill into the reef.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:47 pm

36 hours is a long time. How old are the cysts? What brand? Mine hatch in about 14 hrs, maybe 20 if the room temp is cold.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Suzy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:49 pm

www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Oh jeez...they aren't fresh by any means. They could be 5 years old. I have them separated into two containers, one is just a vial which is what I used on this batch. I will try out the big container and see if I have better luck. Thanks for the link, I will go check it out!

Edit: Ah, the brine shrimp hatchery dish. I like the looks of it, and sounds, but $25 x3 is getting rather pricey! I have three containers and I start a new batch everyday tossing what's left of the oldest batch.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:20 am

You could also order some fresh eggs and get a huge supply. BSD has the best brine shrimp eggs.

I only have 2 hatchers, one for am, one for pm. That s all my schedule allows. I get newly hatched twice a day, and enriched the other times. But, I have rots and pods too.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:38 pm

I like the AM and PM hatches. Mine are just AM as I am only using the nhbbs for broodstock, and so I can test out how long it takes these eggs to hatch out since I know they are older. I enrich older bbs to feed the reefs so I don't waste them. Looking through my fish room I found another can of BS eggs...this one is sealed 75%. I got those from another reefer for free, no idea how old they are, but I think at least 2 years.

Boggessi - the other larger shrimp in the broodstock tank has eggs behind her head now. The smallest one of the trio may not be big enough to have female parts yet.

I checked nitrate with a long expired Salifert kit. According to the kit the tank is sitting around 25 ppm so I will work on getting that lower. I will start by removing some substrate and inserting a particulate filter.
EasterEggs

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:16 am

So uhm, those eggs hatched out on the night of the 2nd. I wasn't expecting them until tonight. So either I didn't notice the shrimp holding the eggs right away or it released on day 9. Hmmm...

The larvae trap I ordered from Chad is on its way, but not here yet. So maybe missing the release wasn't such a bad thing. None of the other shrimp are anywhere near holding yet though. I hope I get another chance this month! I was hoping to get this last hatch though because it is the last hatch before everyone gets moved into the breeding room.
Last edited by EasterEggs on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:57 pm

You will get many chances, I bet!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Shrimp #2 is holding today. It may have been holding yesterday...it was hiding. I should have the larval trap this week, so that should help me out a ton!
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Good luck!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks! As long as I actually catch the larvae this time that is one step in the right direction, and I will be happy with just that! :D
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:32 pm

You learn something with every attempt.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:25 pm

That's my thinking Suzy!

I just unpacked an order of three wurdemanni to find out they are all boggessi. That's annoying, although I am not surprised. :| One of the new shrimp is holding eggs that appear to be maybe halfway to release...? That's a real newbie guess as up until now I haven't payed any attention to shrimp eggs!

As I am acclimating these new shrimp I notice that the biggest of my breeding trio of boggessi has doubled in size, and is definitely not boggessi. I will PM spawner for an ID.

So I guess my breeding trio is now a breeding quintet. :roll:
EasterEggs

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:40 am

Here is a pic of the odd-ball shrimp. I believe it is wurdemanni. I haven't heard back from Andy yet for an ID (I'm sure he's a busy guy). It carries eggs from time to time, but it is the only one of its specie in the tank, so the eggs must be infertile...? However, it does carry those eggs to full term, so how is that possible? Now I am second guessing myself though...if I missed that it is a different specie until now maybe I am confused about which shrimp has been carrying eggs....or maybe there is another wurdemanni in there that I am missing? :roll: Omg... :lol:

EasterEggs

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Andy (spawner) ID'ed the above shrimp as Lysmata ankeri. Thanks Andy!

I received the larval trap from Chad today. Thanks Chad! I will install it and look for larvae tonight. I have a couple shrimp that are pretty close to release.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Did he send a light source for it? My last order didnt have one, and I am struggling to find something. Plus, I broke my wonderful original one.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 pm

No, he was out of magnets and LEDs, but I asked him to send it anyway as I already have both. I find little LED lights at the grocery store by the nightlights. They have a cluster of three LEDs in them which I think is too bright so I will just put a bit of black electricians tape over it to cover it up a bit. I have rubber coated magnets that I bought from Bulk Reef Supply.
EasterEggs

Next

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps