Postlarval Peppermint Pix

Postlarval Peppermint Pix

Postby Aquazoa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:50 pm

This past week I had the pleasure of getting a visit from Andy Rhyne at my aquarium store in Atlanta and after sharing notes I came to a huge decision to pick back up on my work rearing L. debelius zoeae after all these years (and being more active on MOFIB).
I know some of you graciously requested photos of my work in the past and FINALLY here they are!
These are shots of my newly metamorphosed peppermints from the large brood of 250 I raised in 2005. They are hiding up inside the inflow chambers of my kreisel (negatively phototactic). This brood was also of the shortest duration with metamorphosis occuring at 20 days and with an estimated 75% survival rate.

Porter Betts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aquazoa

Re: Postlarval Peppermint Pix

Postby BaboonScience » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Hey Porter!
Nice pics. Looks like you really have this down!
Can you post pics of the Kreisel design?
Thanks
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Aquazoa » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:07 pm

I have to disconnect it from my 55 gallon refugium (part of my 5 tank reef system) and will post pix so it can be seen clearly.
For the past few years it has been permanently connected downstream from the refugium where my Lysmata broodstock is housed such that larval spawns are automatically collected in the kreisel overnight. It became apparent recently that the convenience of such larval collection has its downside, namely the vast numbers of amphipods contaminating that environment as the large females would pick off my larvae at night. I had broods of Thor amboinensis larvae, L. amboinensis, wurdemanni, and debelius larvae all show up in the kreisel only to disappear completely within two days. I am going to set up a new separate larval rearing system featuring (as Andy recommended) a header tank with a micron filter on the supply line to the kreisel to minimize contamination. These older pix were from just such a separate dedicated larval system and you can see what success I had.
The outflow siphon box on my 55 refugium will be fitted with large fabric mesh strainer and I am going to install a spigot at the bottom for easy larval drainage and transfer.

Porter
Aquazoa

Postby spawner » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:34 pm

HI Porter, good to see your posts, I'm interested to see your new progress. Having a separate system will be very helpful.
spawner

Postby Aquazoa » Sun May 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Just wanted to say that 2 weeks ago a pregnant male H. erectus in my store popped out some 250 newborns so that event fast tracked my larval system getting set up. When I get seahorse fry I just cannot ignore them.
In a way I was putting the cart in front of the horse, so to speak, as all Easter weekend I spent setting the system up while the ponies were bubbling away in a 5 gallon. I probably have about 70 right now at 2 1/2 weeks. Got a big trickling tower on a 37 gallon "sump" next to the kreisel. I must say my kreisel kicks ass....nothing ever settles on the bottom! Once these horses are moved out it's gonna be time for L. debelius!
Been decapsulating artemia about every other day....been dosing the kreisel with the new Seachem phyto for instar 2 and 3 metanauplii which helps with larval dispersal and stratification also. I have a small plastic water bottle as a filter wrapped with plastic weedblocker on a siphon inserted into the tank for overnight flushing of old artemia when needed similar to the larger mesh banjo filter for that purpose. Adding Cyclopeeze now also.
I also tried dropping the S.G. down to 1.015 for the ponies which seems to help a lot with buoyancy and parasite issues although today I am doing low dose formalin as they are scratching still.
If I continue posting I'll move this into the seahorse forum and maybe send some pix....
I do need to set up Lysmata larval collection now to feed to the ponies.
Just checking in y'all....

Porter
Aquazoa

Postby spawner » Sun May 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Porter, good to see you getting back in the breeding game here. Did you see Paul's post about losing his post larval fire shrimp?

viewtopic.php?f=201&t=8074&start=25
spawner

Postby Aquazoa » Sun May 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Yes, in fact, I did indeed read that just today....bummer.
I will post on that thread my thoughts as dedicated growout of postlarval Lysmata is very important from my experience.
I know this is the wrong forum for seahorse info but there was a couple of other things I wanted to share....
A small Aquaclear powerhead (has flowrate control) feeds sump water back to the kreisel and I set the powerhead into one of
those big micron socks to keep old artemia and pests from recirculating back up to the nursery. Easy fix there.
As typical for erectus fry, they've been pelagic right up to this weekend when just now a small number have starting hitching on the strips of plastic
gutterguard hanging in the tank (just added them Friday). Most are still pelagic as of this writing (2 1/2 weeks).
Okay, time to move this discussion over into the horsey zone, LOL

Porter
Aquazoa

Postby konradzior » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:59 am

"Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." [W. Groom]
konradzior

Postby Aquazoa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Very very cool indeed!
So what species are we seeing here? Homarus? Crawdads? Are Enoplometopus being reared nowadays?
I spent hours with plastic party cups cutting windows out of the sides. Then I would cut squares of plastic windowscreen and place in one cup against the windows and then insert a second cup with identical windows. The 2 cups held the screening in place. A small handfull of sand weighted the cups down in the trays and voila! Individualized peppermint growout for 250 postlarvae.
Now the problems I encountered....
Water got very stagnant in the cups and food would rot there; circulation was insufficient. Correct portioning of food became problematic. Secondly the spaces were so small as to inhibit the natural growth of the shrimp it seemed. Shrimp were dying in the cups as the weeks passed.
I really do believe aquatic animals need a certain amount of space for natural growth. My hypothesis is that confining organisms inhibits growth hormones (?).
I actually believe that with peppermints it might be best to let them just run freely in the trays with lots of rocks, tubes, pipes, or whatever cover. Daily feedings are critical to offset cannibalism. Some losses to cannibalism may be justified with the remaining considerable numbers of >1 inch marketable shrimp.
Given the high value of L. debelius, the effort to isolate specimens in compartmentalized trays with optimal space and circulation would be well justified.
Definitely successful in lobster culture.

Porter
Aquazoa

Postby konradzior » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:24 pm

I found these pictures online... I'm sorry ... I did not enter the source and author...
~ 14 days ago I built a similar system for the 35 shrimp ... I share your opinion...

by my stupidity ... I lost ~100 shrimp this week.
"Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." [W. Groom]
konradzior

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps