my shrimp just hatched eggs! need some advice

my shrimp just hatched eggs! need some advice

Postby wsmith79 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:49 pm

about 4 weeks ago i noticed that one of my cleaners was full of eggs. so i consulted a friend of mine at one of my local aquarium shops and he said the easiest thing to try was these little mesh square nets with a green frame that attaches to the inside of your tank, "hotel rooms" i like to call em. so i took that home and put it together. pretty decent setup for only 6 bucks( i was low on cash and buying a seperate little breeding tank was out of the question).

this was about 3 weeks ago. ive had my cleaner in it ever since. at first i thought that the holes in the mesh, even though they are very small, would be too large and the babies would pass through, but after only a few days small amounts of algie began to stick to the sides sealing it in even more.

WELL LAST NITE THEY ALL HATCHED! so i pulled the mom out first thing this morning, it took some staring but i can see all these little tiny clear bodies of cleaner shrimp darting around at the bottom of the room on the little amount of sand that i filled the bottom with. im crushing up brine shrimp and hoping that it will be small enough for them to eat.

What should i do now? ive noticed probly upwards of 50 little babies movin around

any ideas for my lighting schedule? should i keep it at day/nite like i usually do?

ON A SIDE NOTE: i also have a massive coral banded that is full of blue eggs in another hotel room in my tank. AND, i have a peppermint shrimp full of eggs too!! my tank is a fertile playground lol

wsmith79

Postby mpedersen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:15 pm

My only advice is start trying to rear the peppermint shrimp first..they will be the easiest of the 3, and therefore what you learn there will help in trying to rear more difficult species. Get Kirkendoll's book if you don't already have it -> http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/support.php

Hopefully some of the more experienced shrimpers will throw in their $0.02. Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby wsmith79 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:30 pm

ok i just ordered that book off amazon. thx for that.

any other advice?? i have them in breeder mesh 10x10inch nets that seem to maybe work. clipped on the side of my 55gal tank.
wsmith79

Postby mpedersen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Well, if you haven't already started, the only hope for success is to start hatching BBS ASAP..this batch will probably not be worth loosing much sleep over..there will be MANY more. Very few folks have reared ANY cleaner shrimp...they're one of the ones that we're still looking for the real "breakthrough" on!

Future rearing attempts might require a dedicated rearing tank..not sure if the net breeder will work or not???

Matt
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby wsmith79 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:10 pm

the one thing i guess i have going for me is that my tank is at optimal climate as far as ph and temperature and salinity. plus the breeding nets/rooms, are in a position on my tank that the water doesnt really move at all. very little circulation which i am finding is optimal because of less stress on the little guys. jeez they are small but fun to watch dart around. i am on day 1 and i just smashed up some brine and threw it in.

i will update daily with my progress. i also have a coral banded and a peppermint that i will update my progress as well.

just fyi, it seemed to have taken about 5 weeks from noticing my cleaner pregnant to hatch, give or take a week.
wsmith79

Postby wsmith79 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:29 am

well they hatched and died in a day. i came to the conclusion that cleaners are going to be very delicate in the breeding process and will require theyre own seperate breeding tank. soon as shes full of eggs again i shoud be ready with a tank.
wsmith79

Postby Amie » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:08 pm

It should only take 15-17 days from eggs to hatch. Plus, the other cleaner shrimp should be pregnant as well. So, you should be getting 2 batches of larvae every 2 weeks - give or take a few days. Watch for them to shed/molt, this is when they will have new eggs.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps