Inbreeding possible? - peps lysmata vittata

Inbreeding possible? - peps lysmata vittata

Postby chris melb » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:31 pm

I have previously raised lysmata vittata to settlement twice, but unfortunately the parents died in a heat wave last summer, the young have now been realeasing larvae, and i have had three failed attempts at raising them past their first molt (2-3days). Could inbreeding give off weak offspring? I guess i dont entirely know if this is 2nd generation inbreeding as the parents (that initially died) may have come from the same clutch. Has anyone had any experience on this?
Ofcourse there may be various other reasons as to why i cant keep these larvae past the two day mark but given ive tried three times and found it relatively easy intially, i have this belief that they are dieing off due to inbreeding.
chris melb

Postby Shrimper » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:52 pm

Hello,

Inbreed brings up a lot of issues regarding the healthiness of the genes flow through the generations that at some point will crash.

My experience tells me with all the experiments done, we have lower survival rates with F1 and lower with F2. But it's possible to bring them to settlement. Many factors could be different from when you settlement them in the first time.
Are the L.vitatta that you have Wild cought or tank bred ? if TB you maybe have a genetic conflict that weakens the offspring, but that's not really my area of knowledge
Shrimper

Postby chris melb » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:34 pm

Thanks shrimper, so it can be done. i believe they were TB, im not 100% sure. I have recently purchased another pep from a different LFS, i believe this is tank bred also, ill wait till this one is carrying eggs and try to raise the larvae.

The larvae at day 1 seem very energetic, and are attracted to light, i have seen them consum NHBS, this is my fourth attempt now and im at day 2, i can see half on the floor, and the other half in water collum, the ones on the floor seem to twitch every now and then.
chris melb

Re:

Postby damer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:57 pm

they are all tank raised chris, all from the same breeder. no doubt he has several pairs breeding. i actually got a call from him yesterday, which reminds me, i need to send him a link for MOFIB.
damer

Postby chris melb » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:29 pm

so is it not possible to get them WC ones here, the guy you are talking about is it Mic Payne- Seahorse Sancturay
chris melb

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps