going to give breeding peppermint shrimp a try.

going to give breeding peppermint shrimp a try.

Postby megavolt120 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Hello everyone!

I joined this site last year and have thoroughly enjoyed reading up on all of the fascinating topics here. I have decided to attempt ornamental fish breeding, and I have decided to start with peppermint shrimp. I did order the book everyone has rercommended and I expect to have it today or Monday. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for you all!

Looking forward to this endeavor!

Chad
megavolt120

Re: going to give breeding peppermint shrimp a try.

Postby JimWelsh » Sat May 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Welcome to the Breeders' Challenge, Chad! Once you're ready, please fill out the details in your Breeding Report (form that you get when you click the shrimp icon under your name). After you've done that, I'll change the name of your topic to the Breeders' Challenge format ("BC2010 - Peppermint Shrimp - magavolt120"). Welcome out "into the light" from the land of the lurkers! :)
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Postby megavolt120 » Sat May 15, 2010 1:10 pm

JimWelsh wrote:Welcome to the Breeders' Challenge, Chad! Once you're ready, please fill out the details in your Breeding Report (form that you get when you click the shrimp icon under your name). After you've done that, I'll change the name of your topic to the Breeders' Challenge format ("BC2010 - Peppermint Shrimp - magavolt120"). Welcome out "into the light" from the land of the lurkers! :)

Thanks, Jim. As soon as I have determined all the equipment I need, I will certainly get started on the paperwork.
megavolt120

Postby spawner » Sat May 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Are you going to have a dedicated system for your shrimp and/or larvae?
spawner

Postby megavolt120 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:27 pm

spawner wrote:Are you going to have a dedicated system for your shrimp and/or larvae?

Yes, I will have a dedicated system for this. As soon as my book arrives I will decide what size and what equipment I need. Is there a section here that shows what setups people are running?
megavolt120

Postby jolson » Sat May 15, 2010 11:39 pm

the book is great and tells all, I just started my breeding post and will watching yours to see how you do
jolson

Postby megavolt120 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:55 am

Bought the book. It was an embarrasing display of campy humor and hand drawn pictures. Some of the info was good (when I was wading through the self-indulgent humor). I am still going to make a dilligent attemp at breeding shrimp DESPITE the book. Not interested in reading negative replies defending this shameful attempt at science. P.S. next version should exclude a picture of the author.
megavolt120

Postby BaboonScience » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:19 am

So, nice to see that you are still at the peppermint shrimp.
How far have you managed to get?
The tricky stage is when they settle. I like to think of those spear legs more as drag lines.
Once they drag themselves to a substrate and metamorph, theh seem to be home free.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby ronzxcvb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:59 am

I wasn't very impressed with the book either not because of her wrighting style
but because i already had most of the information so I didn't learn much from it
but it is a decent little reference book

one that I did find useful and learned a lot from is ( I don't think it has anything on inverts though )

the complete illustrated breeders guide to marine fishes by mat wittenrich

I only have a couple of books on breeding so there may be a better book the more experienced breeders can recommend
ronzxcvb

Postby JimWelsh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 am

Witt's book is the current "gold standard" when it comes to fish breeding. You are right, though, it is weak on inverts.

I, personally, like April's writing style. But that's just a personal preference. I enjoy her sense of humor. I don't believe she was intending to write a scientific paper.

If scientific papers are what you desire, then you can read Dr. Rhyne's works.
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps