BC 2010 Lysmata boggessi- jolson

Re: BC 2010 Lysmata boggessi- jolson

Postby jolson » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:26 am

I think that the temp increase may have solved the problem of why they were not spawning. I slowley raised the temp up to 79 over a couple of days and now have noticed what I think are eggs developing on one of the shrimp
jolson

Postby jolson » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:28 am

the eggs are gone this morning but I found nothing the the snagger, I've just about run out of ideas as to why I haven't been catching any larvae. When I set up the new snagger the only thing that I changed was the color of the led light, it was white and now is blue, does anyone know if blue doesnt work for attracting the larvae, nothing else has changed that I can think of that would cause this problem
jolson

Postby PaulG » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:45 pm

jolson wrote:the eggs are gone this morning but I found nothing the the snagger, I've just about run out of ideas as to why I haven't been catching any larvae. When I set up the new snagger the only thing that I changed was the color of the led light, it was white and now is blue, does anyone know if blue doesnt work for attracting the larvae, nothing else has changed that I can think of that would cause this problem

Im using a white LED for mine and have no issues, try changin gback to a white LED and see if things improve, is there still flow through the snagger?
PaulG

Postby jolson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:47 pm

yes the flow in the snagger is good, I've been cleaning the screen regularly and I know its working because I had a little extra live brine the other day so I gave them some and the next morning I found some in the snagger. when I changed bulbs I actually thought blue might work better because its more like the moon lights that are used and I thought that it might actually work better but I see no harm in changing back, it can't work any less then what I've got now.
jolson

Postby r33fking » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:02 pm

i was using a blue led on my snagger and it worked fine
*******FISH 'R' FRIENDS*******
r33fking

Postby jolson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:55 pm

I was pretty certain that blue would work thats why I tried it. Now I'm just curious as to why I'm not getting any larvae and thinking of all the possiblilities. The temp in the tank has only been up where it should be since the first of the year so I think that I will let it run until the end of the month and just see what happens I would think that if I'm going to get something I should know by then. I saw what I thought were more eggs on one of the shrimp last night so hopefully I will know soon
jolson

Postby jolson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:27 am

still no larvae but more eggs on one of my shrimp, will wait to see what happens but if I dont get something in the snagger this time I think that I will change back to a white led or maybe I will set up another tank with a white led and then see if there is any difference I would really like to know if the color makes a difference
jolson

Postby jolson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:48 am

still nothing happening in with my shrimp, I have seen shrimp with eggs come and go but have not caught anything in the snagger. Everything seem good, the temp is 79, the water chemistry seems good the shrimp are eating and growning well and I am using that same snagger that has worked in the past, the only thing that has changed is the blue LED. I would think that if there were any hatches that I would have caught something that was floating around in the water even if they wern't attracted to the blue light. I know that r33fking said that he has used a blue light but I just can not think of anything else that might be causeing a problem. I will wait until the end of the month and then is I have not caught anything in the snagger I am going to change back to a white LED and see if that makes a difference
jolson

Postby r33fking » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:13 pm

i have been having similar issues with my broodstock , it seems they spawn 4-5 times with good hatches and then they stop . i still see eggs and molting . the eggs seem to develop well and molting seems normal but i find no larvae . it notice more cannibalism between broodstock during this faze . the last time i had this problem i solved it by moving them to a new system that i had just finished building . they had started agian and now im back where i was before .
water parameters are in normal range on all tests and i have done lots of water changes .
im not sure if it is some sort of a natural cycle where they are communal during spawning and then get territorial for a bit .
*******FISH 'R' FRIENDS*******
r33fking

Postby jolson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:42 am

This was very interest http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/conten ... a912798977 thanks spawner, I 'm wondering if this is contributing to my problem the last batch I had was placed back into the original tank so I know that they are mixed boggessi and wurdemanni but the vast majority are boggessi but still since I has seen egg development but no hatches you just have to think about it. I may pull all the wurdenammi out and set up a new tank so they are seperated then I can have single species tanks and I will put a white LED snagger and see what happens
jolson

Postby jolson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14 am

well it finally happened this morning. I have been watching the shrimp closely every day now because I had some that were carrying eggs but in the past I never saw any larvea and could never figure it out. Last night I saw that the eggs turn a silver color on one that has been carrying eggs for about a week so I was pretty sure I was going to see some larvae this time and when I checked this morning there was a small batch in the larval snagger maybe 50 or so not a big batch but something. I did change out the led to a white one just because I had to do something. This now completes my first successful breeding of a marine species all the way through F-2 generations. I will continue breeding them and I think that I will continue to try to see if the blue light light makes a difference, but I think unless I see something very different or interesting I will not be adding to this post to often. On to the next species I am still working on my cardinals and I am setting up tanks for clowns and mandarins so on with the show so to speak
jolson

Postby jolson » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:33 am

I just decided to post because I think that I finally figured out why I never seemed to have any luck getting spawns. I have had 3 successful hatches since I last posted but have had a very interesting thing happen. I check my snagger at about 0300 am in the morning just before I leave for worke every morning and have found the snagger filled with larvae. when I get home about 1pm I check again and the snagger is empty. I pulled the snagger out of the tank but can find nothing wrong with it so I have no idea where the larvae are going too. It always worked before in fact sometimes I would leave the larvae in the snagger for several days feeding them right in the snagger and they did just fine and I never lost any of them. I assume there is a hole somewhere in the system but have not been able to locate it. What I dont understand is if they hatch right after lights out then they are in the snagger for about 8 hours before I check them at 0300 am and then are all gone 8 hours later. I would think that if there is a hole in the system then they would not be in there at 0300 am they would just pass righ through, just seems funny to me and I haven't been able to figure it out.
jolson

Previous

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps