BC2010 - Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata boggessi) - lrood

BC2010 - Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata boggessi) - lrood

Postby lrood » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Thought I would get into the challenge with the peppermint shrimp when I saw some at my lfs last week. They were listed as L. wurdemanni, but I would appreciate it if anyone can confirm the species. I brought home 3 and placed them in a 12 gallon tank that is destined to become a refugium. The body length of the largest is approximately 2 inches. ***you have Lysmata boggessi***

I edited your scientific name in your title, Andy
Ken
lrood

Re: BC2010 - L wurdemanni - lrood

Postby lrood » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:53 pm

None with any eggs yet. I did find a molt in the tank. They seem active and certainly have healthy appetites!
Ken
lrood

Re: BC2010 - Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata boggessi) - lrood

Postby lrood » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks for the update Andy. I have noticed the tail stripe pattern seems different on them. I'll try to get a good picture of them together for comparison.
Ken
lrood

Postby lrood » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:56 am

The trio continue to do well. I have 2 holding eggs. Getting ready to go on vacation so I won't attempt to collect any of these larvae (besides the fact that I still have to build a snagger!). The closer of the pics is more blurred as the shrimp was starting to swim up the front glass at feeding time. Hopefully I can be raising some larvae within a month.

Ken
lrood

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Tue May 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Ken: How's this going for you? Were you ever able to snag any larvae?
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby lrood » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:55 pm

Well, about a year late (and after a few general disasters in the house that wiped out way too much livestock), I have decided to try again. Just this morning I harvested the first bunch of larvae. Below is a terrible pic, but it's the best I can do with my lousy camera! We'll see how they do. The tiny blurred streaks are the nhbbs, and the big blurry things are the larvae :? Maybe I should ask for a better camera for my next birthday (instead of aquarium stuff)!

Ken
lrood

Postby lrood » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Day 6 & things looking good - still seem to have tons & very active.

Ken
lrood

Postby lrood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Day 18 - still too many to count in the kriesel. The larvae are quite large now - bodies 5-6 mm not including the spear legs. They still get brine shrimp daily & take crumbled flake well too. I'm trying to grow some brine shrimp to juveniles & small adults (seems to be a slow process!). Going to move them to a 10g hopefuly within the next week.
Ken
lrood

Postby lrood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:51 pm

At day 25, still with a large number (>100 at least). Feeding crushed flake & larger brine shrimp (large juveniles & adults). I'm not certain what stage they are at, and have attached another fairly lousy picture. If anyone can tell what developmental stage they are at, let me know. Some seem to have distinctly red-banded antennae.

Ken
lrood

Postby lrood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 pm

Found my first settled larvae (now a 1cm shrimp). :D Went to feed the tank & this little guy had crawled up on the front glass to announce his presence! I didn't notice any others, but didn't look that hard either. Today is day 35 since they all hatched. I actually wasn't expecting any settlement for about another week. No complaints though!

Ken
lrood

Postby lrood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:15 pm

I was able to count at least 20 settled today (day 40). Still have a bunch in late larval stages swimming around. I have to go out of town for a few days later this week - hope they can tolerate just flake food for that long!
Ken
lrood

Postby tank1980 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:04 am

Very nice! Good job, what is your set up for raising them?
Without struggle there is no progress....... (Frederick Douglas)
tank1980

State/Region: Virginia

Postby lrood » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:52 am

They are all in a 10 gal growout tank now - a few pieces of live rock, airstone. Feeding mostly crushed flake. I raised the larvae in a kriesel (simple 2 gallon fishbowl with low-flow airline) until the first one settled. I had actually planned to move them to the 10 gal sooner than that, but that's how it worked out. I liked the kriesel setup - made it easy to clean, & kept the food circulating well. I plan to use this technique with future larvae (fish & inverts).
Ken
lrood

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps