BC2010 - Lysmata boggessi - landlord

BC2010 - Lysmata boggessi - landlord

Postby landlord » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Greetings,

Given that I am participating in a few of the other challenges I figure I'd give these guys a try as well. I haven't a lick of experience with shrimps so everything will be a learning experience for me. Starting with 4 specimens in a 10 gallon barebottom tank. Not a lot of other information for you all so I throw up a picture of the 4 and we'll see how it goes from here

pshrimp1.jpg

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--------------------------------------------
Kurt
landlord

Re: BC2010 - Lysmata Wurdemanni - landlord

Postby spawner » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:36 pm

You've got Lysmata boggessi, I edited your subject line to reflect the correct species. Its a great peppermint species to start with.
spawner

Re: BC2010 - Lysmata boggessi - landlord

Postby JimWelsh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Spawner,

I'm curious how you are able to make such a confident determination from a single (no offense, landlord) poor-quality photo? Are they really that easy to tell apart? From what I've read here, the distinguishing characteristics are a bit too subtle to be able to determine from this photo.

Would you please explain the basis for your determination?
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Postby landlord » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:08 am

Too funny - Thanks for the thread title change. You can tell I have little to -NO- experience with shrimps. I can tell you that whatever they are they eat like pigs and have started littlering the tank with molted exoskeletons.

I guess I should just be looking for eggs or something????? In the next few months hopefully. My inexperience is shining in this thread for sure.

Thanks Again

:)
Kurt
landlord

Postby landlord » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:45 am

I have noticed that several days ago one of the shrimp went through a molt and this same shrimp is now holding a whole mess of green colored eggs. Not sure when the eggs showed up, I didn't noticed until last night. Anyone out there have a timeline as to when I should be looking for them to hatch? Do shrimp hatches occur during the night? trying to prepare myself with catching them and I have very little experience with shrimp hatchings. 4 years ago I had a mantis shoot larval out of a whole during the middle of the day so I have no idea what or when to expect these guys to release larvae.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Kurt
Kurt
landlord

Postby Netra » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:38 am

If you dont know when the shrimp has molt, then check the eggs every days. The hatching will occur at night. When the eggs will be bigger and silver, they will hatch (day 13 or 14). It's possible to have them hatching on 2 nights.
Netra
MOFIB Translator

Postby landlord » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:48 am

I believe that the molting occured on Friday Jan 8th 2010. If you look at the picture that I included you can see one of the shrimps has a clear colored exoskeleton. That is the one and that picture was taken on the day of the molt.

Thank you for the reply!

I will keep my eyes on them as we get closer to the 18th or 19th.

Many Thanks

:) Kurt
Kurt
landlord

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:02 pm

JimWelsh wrote:Spawner,

I'm curious how you are able to make such a confident determination from a single (no offense, landlord) poor-quality photo? Are they really that easy to tell apart? From what I've read here, the distinguishing characteristics are a bit too subtle to be able to determine from this photo.

Would you please explain the basis for your determination?

He certainly knows.His experience with Lysmata is huge.Who do you think discovered and described this species?. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby JimWelsh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:46 pm

Luis A M wrote:Who do you think discovered and described this species?. :wink:

Oh! So, Andy ("Spawner") is Andrew Rhyne.... Well, now I know! :oops:

I'm still interested in the answer to my question, though. :?
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Postby Netra » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 pm

it's very easy. The end of the tail and the color of thr line!

I lost my both Lysmata Ankeri in December :cry: Both killed by me cleaner shrimp!

I'm trying to get 2 new one!
Edit : Only one type of peppermint are avalaible in Quebec city : Boggessi. :evil:
Netra
MOFIB Translator

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:02 pm

landlord wrote:I have noticed that several days ago one of the shrimp went through a molt and this same shrimp is now holding a whole mess of green colored eggs. Not sure when the eggs showed up, I didn't noticed until last night. Anyone out there have a timeline as to when I should be looking for them to hatch? Do shrimp hatches occur during the night? trying to prepare myself with catching them and I have very little experience with shrimp hatchings. 4 years ago I had a mantis shoot larval out of a whole during the middle of the day so I have no idea what or when to expect these guys to release larvae.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Kurt

Kurt,shrimp usually molt at identical intervals,if temp is kept even.14 days or 12 days for peppers.Record every time you find a molt.Expect hatching 1 hr after lights off.Next morning you will find the molt and the new eggs 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby JimWelsh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:32 pm

Netra wrote:it's very easy. The end of the tail and the color of thr line!

But the tail is not clearly visible, and the color balance of the photo is all off. Maybe I just need better glasses! :lol:
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:00 pm

You can see the dark tail at the left :wink: ,boggessi,clearly.And the colour is usually like that,one of the ugliest peppers.
(Hope Spawner is not reading this) :mrgreen:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby landlord » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:56 am

Luis A M wrote:Kurt,shrimp usually molt at identical intervals,if temp is kept even.14 days or 12 days for peppers.Record every time you find a molt.Expect hatching 1 hr after lights off.Next morning you will find the molt and the new eggs 8)

Thanks Luis - Let me make sure I understand what you are saying.

1. Is it 12-14 days between molts, or 12-14 days after molt till a hatch??? I am thinking the latter of these.

and a follow-up....

1. I noticed last night another female holding eggs, different color this time. These were almost cream colored as compared to the ones I have been posting about being green in color. Do the eggs go through a color shift while they are being held? What I mean is do the start one color and gradually shift to another? With only one specimens' molt found in the tank I am curious now as to why I have two female with different colored eggs. I thought I read that there will first be a molt followed by eggs. Perhaps there was a molt prior to me receiving these in shipment last week sometime.

2. Also is it too early to start thinking about a good first food? I only have a ready supply of rotifers and really have no idea if that is a good food choice.

Thanks Guys for your time patience and correspondence.

--Kurt
Kurt
landlord

Postby jadeguppy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:20 am

What I have read says that rotifers don't work well with them. Go with newly hatched brine shrimp. I haven't had a chance to put it to the test.

-Wishing us both some larve soon.
jadeguppy

Postby landlord » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:27 am

Good to know, and fortuitous since I have a pound of BS eggs coming in the mail today!

Thanks jadeguppy!
Kurt
landlord

Postby landlord » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:19 am

Well three of the four shrimp are now carrying eggs, They have all appeared on different days so I am thinking that I will have larvae soon. Have a ready supply of nhbbs on hand for my first shot at this. Should be an eye opened for sure. I be setting up a snagger on the tank tonight to see what if anything hatches. I cannot say with any certainty of when the hatchings will occur. It has been difficult identifying who's who and who molted when. Since I'm out of tanks at the moment these guys will have to spend their first days in a bucket. I cannot wait.

Side Note: Just curious how anyone working with multiple species gets any sleep or has time for their families? It's easy to get into a routine with one species but with half a dozen my schedule is just wacky.

Have a Good One.
Kurt
landlord

Postby spawner » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Sorry,

yes as Luis says, I have looked at about 100,000 of these guys or more. Ronnie, the shrimps name sake, use to laugh at me as I dug through his tanks of 10,000+ shrimp looking for other species that he picked up. L. boggessi is not the best looking peppermint shrimp, but it gets the job done. The give away is the lack of transverse and only longitudinal thin strips and the gonads being olive green. Its the easiest one of this clade (group) to rear.
spawner

Postby landlord » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:24 am

I'm kind of on pins and needles waiting for this hatch. I figure that I have to be close to the 12-14 day mark. I have had the collector running on this tank for the last couple of nights, to of no avail. Thinking that tonight is probably day 13 since the molt. Should I expect to see the larvae up in the water column or will these guys just go where they please after hatching. I am expecting them to be near the water surface but alas I have no experience here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks Kurt
Kurt
landlord

Postby jadeguppy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:35 pm

I read that they should go towards the light on the snagger. They are attracted to moon light.
jadeguppy

Postby landlord » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:51 am

Nothing yet..... These guys are gonna bust out soon, I can feel it.
Kurt
landlord

Postby landlord » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:31 am

I apparently have misjudged when the first of my three egg carrying shrimps began carrying her eggs. I was sure that the molt occured back on the 8th but here we are now on the 25th and she is still carrying these things around. She can barely walk, like the old V8 commercials (leaning over sideways) :) I have been running the larval snagger for the last 4-5 days now but she won't release.

Patience.......
Kurt
landlord

Postby landlord » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 am

Well this morning I was able to finally see that several small shrimp were pulled into the larval snagger. Being new to this I was amazed at their size and apparent fragility. Mostly I was made aware of how they so closely resemble adult shrimp in the sahpe and structure. Very cool looking critters for sure. I didn't have enough time, before leaving for work, to determine if they had suffered any damages sitting in the snagger but I have a suspicious feeling that they might have. In any case I do not believe that the female released everything she had. II quickly did a flashlight search of the broodstock tank but cannot confirm a full release. I just doesn't seem like I captured very many nor did I see any floating in the water column of the tank.

My assumption, please correct me if I am wrong, is that similar to some anemonefishes, and others, the shrimps may release over a multiple day period??????

Many Thanks for any input here.

Kurt
landlord

Postby spawner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:58 am

They release larvae all at once, normally with in 20-30 minutes, sometimes in less than a minute. If she molts and you see egg attached to the molt you have some water quality issues that is affecting your broodstock.
spawner

Postby landlord » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:30 am

Good to know, thanks spawner! The recirculation is not currently on in the tank so perhaps when I get home today I will find more larvae during a more thourough search of the tank. Sounds like I should also be expecting a molt from her soon, correct??

Thanks
Kurt
landlord

Next

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps