Newly settled L. debelius

Newly settled L. debelius

Postby FuEl » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:21 am

Just thought I should put up some pics of newly settled L. debelius that occurred quite awhile ago. The lines on the paper are 1 cm apart so you can roughly guage the sizes of newly settled shrimp.

Upon settlement, no markings.

After a few days, markings start to appear.

Notice that for L. debelius, misbarring can occur as well. :lol:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby chris melb » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:50 pm

FuEl was just wondering what your survival rate PL was like for L.debelius?
chris melb

Postby KathyL » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:49 am

fantastic!
KathyL

Re:

Postby FuEl » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:37 am

chris melb wrote:FuEl was just wondering what your survival rate PL was like for L.debelius?

Hi chris, you mean the survival rate after settlement? I would'nt have a clue as I finished my studies in Aus while they were still in the midst of growing out. But if I were to continue growing them out, I would be rather confident of their survival to maturity. Shrimp tend to die most during and before the settlement period if they experience nutritional deficiencies early on. Normally shrimp are quite tough once they settle out of the planktonic stage as they will be able to take advantage of a greater variety of foods (mussels, shrimp, fish, etc). If you are feeding them a not so nutritious diet (Eg. 100% flake food) after settlement, it would be understandable that shrimp would start dying before reaching maturity.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby chris melb » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:31 am

Sorry FuEl i meant survival to PL, i realise that these aren't as difficult to raise as Redlines (amb), but harder to raise then Peps. Having said that, in terms of difficulty they are somewhere in between Redlines and Peps majority of the very few people that have managed to get Redlines to settle, mention that only one ever settles that i know of (apart from Spawner). Looking at your pics i see more than one has settled, im just curious as to the survival rate to PL for L.debulius. Im guessing and from other posts on this forum settlement may be dependant on larval duration. And larval duration could possibly be largerly due to lack of nutrition or inadequate capture of prey.
chris melb

Postby FuEl » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:09 am

Yes chris your hunch might be correct. I too have noticed that settlement success is inversely proportional to the larval duration. The longer the larval duration, the more chances of things going wrong and more chances of running into Murphy's law. If breeding Lysmata ever became a high-tech automated process in which variables are maintained throughout the entire larval cycle, I believe you will have more success with currently difficult species like L. amboinensis.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:28 pm

Junkai,awesome pics!.Congrats!Were they recent?.
You recall how long took the white marks to show,was it before PL first molt?
Because something similar happened with my PL amboinensis.Immediately after settling,there were no white marks.But they showed 2 days later,before 1st molt.Seems like the white pigment needed some time to develop :?
This is very interesting.I´m anxious to try L.debelius again! 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby FuEl » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:25 am

Hi Luis, these guys settled about 1 year ago. I can't remember how long the white markings took to develop but I don't remember seeing any moults while the colors showed. Somehow their tiny exoskeleton during this stage seems to be capable of some sort of expansion. A rough guess of mine is that the white color started to appear on the 3rd or 4th day after settlement.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps