cleaner shrimp eggs

cleaner shrimp eggs

Postby littlebitoocean » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:32 am

My cleaner shrimp has now been holding for approx 16 days. Even did amolt and still have maturing eggs on its belly. I have 2 in the same tank both holding and cannot figure when they will hatch. I thought the eggs would hatch, they would molt and then pass the sperm pack and start over. My temp is around 78. I have 3 sets of cleaners, the other two sets are small and not holding yet. I supplement the system with iodine. as well as general reef supplements. I have a uv filter on the system, nitrate reactor and fsb with a skimmer. The system is around 500 gallons with 12 tanks and a 150 gal sump. The tanks are approx 28 gallon tall tanks. I have a larva snagger in the cleaner shrimp tank. So far no larva in the snagger.
Do they hatch after dark or before dawn? i think the pepperments i had hatched in the am. I never collected but had tons of hatches. Now my pepperments are old approx 3-5 years and not producing any longer. PS how do i add the cleaner shrimp to my avatar, as well as the neon goby?
littlebitoocean

Re: cleaner shrimp eggs

Postby spawner » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:47 am

They hatch just before they molt, then molt and mate. Your shrimp most likely has a new clutch of eggs. I'd put some live brine in your system and see if your larval snagger is working correctly.
spawner

Postby littlebitoocean » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:02 am

Well no eggs on the one cleaner shrimp. I moved the other one to a 10 gal and put the shrimp in a basket so the larva will fall thru. Then i will move him back to the display tank. I am thinking i have my larva snagger set to low to catch the release so am shortening the snagger part. the tank is a tall tank. There were no signs of babies yesterday so i assume (it) had them bf the molt. I can see where they were on (its) belly. will see if this works better. Want to try my enrichment that i use on the seahorses. Makes them grow real fast. I use it to enrich the bbs.
Teresa
littlebitoocean

Postby spawner » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:47 am

Don't enrich your bbs for Lysmata. It's not good for them.
spawner

Postby PaulG » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:51 pm

littlebitoocean wrote: PS how do i add the cleaner shrimp to my avatar, as well as the neon goby?

Please PM clownfish75 asking to join the respective Breeders Challenge.

he should be able to set you up

Regards
Paul
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:56 pm

spawner wrote:Don't enrich your bbs for Lysmata. It's not good for them.

Hi Andy,
Your probably sick of hearing me ask this but why is it bad for them?

If it is bad for them then why during your attempts to breed them have you used enriched feeds as per the couple of published papers you have written on the subject?

Thanks
Paulg
PaulG

Postby spawner » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:29 pm

I believe it's too much DHA. But this is common in some crabs and shrimp. We found the same thing with Mithrax as well.

When I was rearing cleaner shrimp my newly hatched treatments did far better than the enriched treatments. I think it was some 30 days difference in settlement. 75 days to post larvae with newly hatched and 100 or so with enriched.

I have a lot of unpublished data I need to clear off the desk.
spawner

Postby KathyL » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:49 pm

Just make some notes here, we'll be happy to proof it for you!:D
KathyL

Postby littlebitoocean » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:22 am

No hatch yet. The other shrimp is holding eggs, so they must have passed the sperm pack before i moved the one that is due to hatch out. I will check this am it will be 17 days i think. And the 10 gal is a little cooler than the main system. It is around 76-78. I am carefully raising the temp.
I use an alge enrichment. I emulsify it and add it to the brine shrimp. Do you think that is too high in HUFA? I think the name is algemac.
The shrimp is not happy in the basket... Just sits around. Still holding the eggs, i can see them from the side.
Teresa
littlebitoocean

Postby littlebitoocean » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:17 am

Well it finally let go of the babies. now i have a tank of cleaner shrimp to work with. Will move the other when the time comes and get those babies as well. Am feeding a rot and napulii mix. Hope that is ok for them. Too many to count but they did not clear out the shrimp from yesterday. So added enriched rots to feed bbs to feed cleaner shrimp......Also added napulii to the mix. I am putting 1 drop of iodine in the tank to keep iodine levels up. That way they do not have a problem with molts.
littlebitoocean

Postby littlebitoocean » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:38 am

Well i missed the other hatch. So am leaving the shrimp together to do their thing. I tested the iodine level in the baby shrimp tank and it was too low, so added 3 drops of iodine today. So far so good. Lots of swimming larva and lots of bbs as well. Also am supplementing with rotifers x 2 daily enriched with nanno. no rots left in tank bf next feeding. Either the brine shrimp or the pepperment babies are feeding on them. Not using a green water technique. Am reading up on Zoea syndrome in shrimperies. May add probiotics to tank if I have a problem. Will try to make a wc in the next several days, but am not sure if i should. Quality of water remains high. No nitrites or amonia. Does anyone know if i should lite these guys 24 hrs a day or should i just leave them on the timers. Thanks
littlebitoocean

Postby cantagious » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Do you have any updates !!!
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

GOING GREEN IS SAVING GREEN
cantagious

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps