Size of Larval Tank: 35cm x 25cm x 25cm
Substrate Details: bare bottom
Other Tank Decor: airstone
Filtration Details: None
Lighting: Normal Output T5, daylight tube
Lighting Cycle: 14 on, 10 off
Water Changes: 99% twice weekly

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: nhbbs, enriched bbs (nanno & Salt Creek HUFA)
Feeding Schedule: twice daily

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:
Last edited by PaulG on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moving Breeder log to first post
PaulG

Re: L.Debelius Breeding Log Batch 20090509

Postby PaulG » Sun May 10, 2009 4:03 am

Well since it was this time again

And there have been a few questions asked regarding how I'm taking care of these guys I've decided to restart the journal for the bloods shrimp larvae.

The larvae hatched some time last night & are still in the larval snagger until I can prepare the larval tubs, they will remain in teh snagger for the next 2 weeks or possible longer until I can free teh larval tubs up.

This is the snagger that I'm using (minus the royal dottyback as its a larval snagger in itself!)

An image of the larval tubs is below.

The opaque tubs are 20Litres in capacity, however I never fill them above half way. The only contents of the tubs is NSW straight from my storage tank & an air stone. The air stone is adjusted so that there is flow through approx 3/4 of the tub eg. the area furthest away from teh air stone has almost no flow which allows the larvae an area where they do not need to continually struggle. Normall the lid is allways on otherwise eveporation becomes a problem due to the small water volume.

The black tub that the opaque one sits in is filled approx half way with tap water, this also has a heater in it to keep both the the opaque tubs heated to 26'C.

Feed is a combination of newly hatch brine shrimp as well as 2-4 day old enriched brine. these have been fed reeds nanno as well as salt creek HUFA enrichment, I will usually alternate with nanno & HUFA on a daily basis. Water is changed daily on the brine shrimp. This is fed to the larvae morning & night.
Last edited by PaulG on Sun May 16, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: moving breeder log to first post
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Tue May 12, 2009 8:59 am

Well.... that didn't last long, went out this morning to feed teh buggers & there was only one left :/

Looks like the water level rose too much in teh snagger & they all went swimming to the sump, oh well next batch will be along in a few days.
PaulG

L.Debelius Breeding Log Batch 20090701

Postby PaulG » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:21 am

L.Debelius Breeding Log Batch 20090701

OK, well we are off & running again after a couple of months of poor or missed hatches.

I had a pretty good hatch on the 1st of July. I don't bother counting because I'm already insane enough for trying to raise these guys without having to go around the twist counting tiny specs! I'de estimate several hundred though.

I am also expecting another hatch tonight & its going to be HUGE.

The hatch from teh 1st of July is still in the parent tank housed in teh snagger, I'll leave them & the new hatch tonight in there for another week before moving them to a rectangluar container.

Feeding as previously stated, however the larvae will be roughing it as they will remin in teh fish room that I finished off last weekend YAY!

Updates as they occur.
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:20 am

well.. no hatch last night.. so maybe tonight... I think I'm gonna need more tanks
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:15 pm

Well.... had a HUGE hatch on the 8th & I mean huge, missed probably half of them though as they all gathered around the spot of light shining on the bottom of the tank from teh snagger (I know this as I went & checked on them about 30 min after lights out). They were not there by morning & they were not in the snagger so I can only guess the parents ate them sometime during the night.

That said, I still have too many & this hatch will most likely end up as fish food.... my pipefish is in for a treat lol

I'll take a couple out from the hatch that occurred on the first & stick them under the scope & ppost a couple of pics on the weekend.
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:41 pm

For some reason I have had a HUGE amount of die-off which is a bit strange considering how past hatches have gone, i'de say probably 90% die-off.

I'm glad I have not fed the hatch from a few days ago to the other fishes!
PaulG

L.Debelius Breeding Log Batch 20090708

Postby PaulG » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:39 am

Moved teh hatch from the 8th into the larval tub from teh snagger, moved it sooner rather than the 14 days I would normally leave them in the parent water for as theres another batch coming......

So the active batch is 20090708
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:04 am

hmmm... something is just not right here... I'm loosing wayyyy to many wayyyy too quickly!

I can only spot 3 maybe 4 larvae, I think i've got a couple of dead spots in teh tub i'm using but can't up the flow any more... at least till I finishe the plumbing anyway.
PaulG

Postby bigalulrich » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:51 pm

I had a similar set up previously, for fish (neon goby), with an opaque container inside a black container, with a water-bath style heating system. Lower volume than yours, but similar system, and similar die-off.

Switched to a BRT and have had much more success--at this point, I'm at 17 DPH, but surviving much longer than in the system like yours--where I would have complete die-off over several days.

have you had other successes with your set-up? I imagine, since you're moderator, yes, but I think my gobies had trouble spotting food in the opaque tubs. Just posting my thoughts--hope it helps.
bigalulrich

Postby PaulG » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:24 pm

bigalulrich,

Yes I have used the tubs with some success you could say for raising sexy shrimp, pepermints & late stage debelius & lysmata larvae previously.

Initially I did find light or rather the lack of it to be a problem & positioned lights directly over teh tubs which improved things dramaticlly.

I normally had die off but it wasn't until around the 2 week mark, this is occurring within the first week.

Its either back to the drawing board or the larvae are of sub-standard.

Thanks
PaulG
PaulG

L.Debelius Breeding Log Batch 20090804

Postby PaulG » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:20 am

Well,

It never rains it POURS!

I had a HUGE hatch of blood shrimp on the night of the 4th as well as a hatch of red line cleaner shrimp AND hatch of peppermint shrimp

So, I've gone to co-culturing the larvae since I didn't have anywhere near enough space for 3 hatches & to make it worse I'm expecting another blood hatch tonight.

the tub that has the blood,cleaner & peps in it appears to be going well, I haven't seen any die off yet allthough I only have approx 50 larvae (mixed) in teh tub.

the remainder of the blood larvae whih there would have EASILY been 500 left over I have tossed into the tub whuch I have lost the previous batches in but this time I upped the air flow so there now appears to be no more dead spots. *fingers crossed*

So, that makes this batch Batch 20090804

I guess we just wait & see how we go.
PaulG

Re: L.Debelius Breeding Log Batch 20090804

Postby konradzior » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:22 pm

How long is the larvae cycle of L Debelius??

pozdr!
"Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." [W. Groom]
konradzior

Re: L.Debelius Breeding Log Batch 20090804

Postby FuEl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 pm

konradzior wrote:How long is the larvae cycle of L Debelius??

pozdr!

About 50+ days. :)
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby konradzior » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:22 am

I must try to raise larvae of L Debelius!!! But frist L Boggessi!
"Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." [W. Groom]
konradzior

Postby PaulG » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:12 am

Well... all of that batch died off :(

Not having much uck with this of late but hopefully I have identified the problem!

My IA I had been using to feed the bbs appears to have gone off. I noticed a HUGE difference in colour from a portion I froze some 8 months ago so I'll give this another go with a fresh-er algae.
PaulG

L.Debelius Breeding Log Batch 20090823

Postby PaulG » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:11 am

So far my brine shrimp have been stayong alive for a change so I think the fresh algae has solved that little problem.

I also have a new batch 20090823

After completly nuking the tank I had the previous batch in (copious amounts of scrubbing & left running bleach through it for 2 days) I think I have solved teh hydroid problem which was the ultimate demise of the previous batch as I had more medusa than shrimp larvae!

I did take pics but didn't turn out very well, currently @Z1

Will post pics next time I pull them out.
PaulG

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Good luck with the new ones!
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby konradzior » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:00 pm

Good Luck! :wink:
konradzior

Postby PaulG » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Well I am at my wits end :evil:

That batch & teh severl after it have not survived, it appears I'm plagued by filtration issues.

I've just been using sponge filters & for some reason I am unable to get them populated with nitrifying bacteria, I have mega high nitrItes. The filters have been in teh tub for over 1 month & are still not doing th job, where previously they had done fine.

I'm not going to start up another batch until I get teh larval system (180Gal) finished in teh shed (just need my heaters & some flexible tubing & I should be right to go)
PaulG

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps