BC2009 Red Lined Cleaner Shrimp Bajabum

BC2009 Red Lined Cleaner Shrimp Bajabum

Postby bajabum » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:19 pm

Username: Bajabum
Species: Red Lined Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Social Structure: Pair
Size of Individuals: 3"
Age of Individuals: Unknown
Date added to Tank: Dec 08

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 20 Gal with larvae catch tank on discharge.
Substrate Details: Fine Sand Live Rock
Filtration Details: Pass through in 500 SPS Low Nutrient System utilizing Macroalgae in 20 gal tank, dark sump with submerged porus ceramic blocks and pumice. protien skimmer
Water Changes: Depends on water needs in other system. This system recieves the new saltwater
Water Temperature: 76.5
Lighting: 65w 10k PC, LED night light over drain.
Lighting Cycle: 16 hours
Other Tank Inhabitants: Pair Purple Firefish, sponges, Gergorians, Baby Spotted Boxfish, pair seahorses

Broodstock Feeding Details Food Types: BBS, leftover meaty homemade, small mysis
Feeding Schedule: Whenever

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: End Dec08
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:

Larval Tank Details
Size of Larval Tank: 90 gal Green water, Other stand alone tanks can be setup on demand.
Substrate Details: 8" deep sand
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details: Green Water
Lighting: 65w 10k PC, dark area provided at one end for photophobic phases.
Lighting Cycle: 24/7
Water Changes: None

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Steady State Zooplankton culture seeded from Ocean Collection trips, Baby Brine Shrimp added daily
Feeding Schedule: Baby Brine Shrimp added daily. Another set of 30 gallon steady greenwater cultures are maintained to suppliment zooplankton on an as needed bases. 1/2 gallon canning jars are used for high density rotifer cultures if I have a high survival rate of small fry.

Additional Information
Larval tank has a wide variety of zooplankton including a breeding population of small jellyfish. Larvae are kept in tank until big enough to become preditory on new larvae. Larvae/fry are used to control the "big" food population thereby helping maintain a higher density small food population for small fry/larvae. Otherwise the big food dominates, pollutes and crashes culture. Shrimp that settle are removed to tank that has automatic dry food dispensor.
Miscellaneous Information:
Last edited by PaulG on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Moved Breeders Log Header to first Post
bajabum

Postby bajabum » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:48 pm

2 in a 20 gallon hooked to the main coral system. Pair of purple Firefish and pair of Redheaded Gobies. Larvae catcher will be added to tank drain. 90 gallon perminate green water culture tank (light 24/7) for raising larvae. Dark area has been added to larvae tank should the larvae go through a photophobic phase.

Larvae tank added, shrimp are hanging out at drain under night light. Moved shrimp to 90 gallon and made internal larvae catcher that shrimp won't hang out at the overflow.
Jan 28: Found larvae in original larvae catcher on a midnight excursion. They are clear and very small. Removed some to 2 1/2 gallon green water goldfish bowl. They stay suspended motionless in water column. Need 3x lens to see. I now look in catch tanks a few hours after lights out using back light so I can see shadows. Old trick I learned tide pooling. The shadow is easier to see.
Feb 4: Found Fire shrimp larvae in their tank after making water non-lethal a few days earlier. Red Sea salt has made a major difference in organism survival. I use newly hatched clownfish fry to test for lethality. Temp was also raised to 80 F in anticipation of moving clown fry into tank. Removed larvae to goldfish bowl and 90 gallon green water shrimp fry tank.
The cleaner fry were observed sitting on the bottom of the viewing pan. None were observed in the water column, hence the viewing pan. They a slightly smaller than the new fire shrimp larvae, but look more like a shrimp than a mysis now (Thought they might be mysis). Have some color to them so they can be seen. None have been observed in the original larvae catch tank, but if they settled, they would be difficult to observe. The fire shrimp larvae have red bands and look like shrimp. They can be seen in the water column with the eye. My 90 gallon green water shrimp larvae tank has it's second generation of white shrimp. Hopefully they will not become a problem with the cleaner and fire shrimp.
March 3
Moved pair of spawning Red Lined to 55 gal greenwater tank. Hanging in large mesh laundry bag holding net. I have second hanging bag with peps and white shrimp adults. Added fire shrimp larvae. Air is used for water movement. Larvae survive for at least 10 days. I have started 200 gal greenwater tank. May try it with Red Lined only as soon as phyto/zoopalnkton grows in. It appears the larvae do best in low low flow. In small volumes, evaporation is a problem, hence the big tank approach.
Last edited by PaulG on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved Breeders Log Header to first Post
bajabum

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps