breeding cleaner shrimps

breeding cleaner shrimps

Postby blg al » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:27 pm

HI,i have a keen intrest in marine keeping,i have a 90gal tank with many corals and a colourful selection of fish whitch are all doing well,i got 2 cleaner shrimps that are females and are often full of eggs that always go to waste,what sort of set up would i need to start breeding a pair of cleaners (is there any tell tale signs of identyfying male&female cleaners),how would i gather the eggs and care for them,,what would i need to raise the young cleaners once hatched.i am not familiar with the terms used in this hobby so could you explaine things in the simplest way for the time being,,,,,,thanks al
blg al

Postby mpedersen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Welcome to MOFIB Al.

Quick answers - if Luis, our resident shrimp master, only has gotten ONE to settlement, I'd personally suggest something EASIER to start with (like Peppermints). Or perhaps Thor amboinensis (our current Invert Breeder's Challenge)?

Cleaners are Simultaneous Hermaphrodites.

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:13 pm

See the sticky at the top of this section:

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=179

Welcome to MOFIB!

Also check out Luis' thread on this section! :D
KathyL

Postby mikegreen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi Al, and welcome.
You've found the best place to start learning. Take a bit of time working through past posts on here - it'll answer some of your questions, but raise some more.
If you haven't already spotted it, there's a useful tool to explain a lot of the technical terms(underlined - as in Matt's post)- just point to it.
Enjoy
Mike
mikegreen

Postby mpedersen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:26 pm

I see you like that Mike?! ;)

Also, Al, if you are interested in shrimp breeding, here's the deal. MOFIB members, especially those experienced members, truly value the efforts put in by the authors in our field, who are often pulling double duty as "author" and "researcher" are basically synonymous! Because of that, and because the info is readily available, the is one general piece of advice given to "newbies" like yourself, and that is...

READ THE BOOK! :)

You REALLY should pick up Kirkendoll's book - http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/support.php - first row, third book, How To Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp.

After you make it through that, you'll have a new appreciation and understanding of what you're getting into. My ongoing advice when it comes to marine breeding is to come into it with a lot of patience and pre-research, although most folks end up having the offspring first and then wondering what the heck to do with them!!! (and yes, your eggs are fertile BTW...)

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby mikegreen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:30 pm

Right Matt - best board I've seen for info, but as if that wasn't enough, it's got the best user-friendly features too.
Well impressed
Mike
mikegreen

Postby mikegreen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:38 pm

Al - check out the sexy shrimp "challenge" too - not much yet,but if the bangaii threads are anything to go by, it'll turn up a lot of useful material
Mike
mikegreen

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:53 pm

mikegreen wrote:Right Matt - best board I've seen for info, but as if that wasn't enough, it's got the best user-friendly features too.
Well impressed
Mike

We owe a lot of thanks to Acroporas for what started out as the "Acronym Replace Mod" and then took on a life of it's own!!! :)

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

breeding cleaners

Postby blg al » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:06 pm

thanks for such a rapid response to all my questions,but my cleaners are full of eggs,i can see small black eyes in the eggs,,so i have no choice but to try and save these young,cant see anymore go to waste,,am always up for a challenge,will do my best,,,i will keep in touch,, ill be buying that book a.s.a.p,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks alun
blg al

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps