Combining shrimp - need advice

Combining shrimp - need advice

Postby Amie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:05 am

I have had several pairs of cleaner shrimp in different tanks. Over time, 2 of my older shrimp have died and left 2 single shrimp in 2 seperate tanks. I just bought 2 small shrimp to replace the 2. (And I mean small. They measure apprx. 1.25")

So here's my question: What would be the most effective way to combine them to start getting some babies again? Should I combine the 2 older ones and keep the 2 smaller ones together? Or put a small one with each older one?
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby mpedersen » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:23 am

I can only guess, but noticing that my "young" peppermint shrimps (replacements for ones that got old and died) have yet to produce any eggs, I'd think placing the two older ones together would have them with eggs very quickly, whereas 1 old + 1 new may hold up the process.

Of course, I believe the smaller shrimp can funciton as males even if they're not mature enough yet to produce the eggs and take on their sequential hermaphrodite role as a female. I definitely could be wrong on that, but I think I read somewhere that they're functional males early on, but getting the female side going comes later. Anyone else recall this?

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

sounds like a wash to me

Postby Adam Blundell » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:27 pm

Yep, the smaller shrimp can only serve as male for the time being. So it is a wash with either choice. Look at it this way, either way you have two shrimp producing eggs, be it together or with the younger shrimp.

I'd put one small shrimp with one large shrimp. From an energy point of view the larger shrimp could "know" that it has to produce eggs and that its mate won't be making eggs. If two older shrimp are together it could "know" that it doesn't need to produce eggs to reproduce.

Adam
Adam Blundell

Re: sounds like a wash to me

Postby Amie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Adam Blundell wrote:Yep, the smaller shrimp can only serve as male for the time being. So it is a wash with either choice. Look at it this way, either way you have two shrimp producing eggs, be it together or with the younger shrimp.

I'd put one small shrimp with one large shrimp. From an energy point of view the larger shrimp could "know" that it has to produce eggs and that its mate won't be making eggs. If two older shrimp are together it could "know" that it doesn't need to produce eggs to reproduce.

Adam

Good point, Thanks. Who knows, maybe they will have larger clutches, knowing that they are carrying the load.
Amie

Postby William » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:00 pm

I would put the two large ones together and the two smaller ones together.

I've had larger/older shirmp eat smaller newcomers.
Will
William

Re:

Postby Amie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:18 pm

acroporas wrote:I would put the two large ones together and the two smaller ones together.

I've had larger/older shirmp eat smaller newcomers.

Dang, that just put a wrench in things. :shock:
Amie

multiple cleaner shrimp

Postby SteveH » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:08 pm

how many cleaner shrimp can you have in one tank? Can you have more than 2?
SteveH

Re: multiple cleaner shrimp

Postby mpedersen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:22 pm

SteveH wrote:how many cleaner shrimp can you have in one tank? Can you have more than 2?

I was just over at YZReef.net the other day - Jason has 3 cleaners in his large SPS tank and they ALL hang out together.

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps