Peppermint Shrimp (L.Vitatta)

Peppermint Shrimp (L.Vitatta)

Postby matt84 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:25 pm

Finally got around to ordering my pair of L.Vitatta. However, due to one of them being a master escape artist.. I only ended up with one.
As it was being bagged up we noticed a bright green mass underneath its 'tail'

Immediately after I got them home I researched what this mass could be.. fingers crossed that it could be eggs. Turns out they are!!

I've been reading for ages on how to breed different things and have every book and I think I have every piece of equipment I need to do it. It's happening a bit quicker then I would have liked but I'll give it a go anyway.

Unfortunately, living in the middle of nowhere means that livestock is hard to get so if I lose these ones I'll have to wait a while before I get another mate for her.

At the moment I have her in a fabric covered breeder box mounted in the sump of my 6x2x2 sps reef tank.

So, I have a question:

Would it be possible to raise the young in this breeder box?
Pros:
* The material is quite fine, similar to a fiter sock. Providing it was small enough to keep the shrimp in.
* All parameters would stay the same as the reef tank.
* Box is in a low flow area. And there is even less flow inside the box so the shrimp wouldn't be bashed into the sides of the box.

Cons:
* I've read that it would be difficult to keep the nhbbs in the net long enough for the young to catch them. (This could be solved if i put a bowl around them for a few hours when feeding)
* Box could be contaminated by other things from main tank (not sure what though)

Any other reasons you can see that this would be a bad idea?

I also have a small kreisel, and plently of spare 50L tanks so I can do it the regular way as well. It was just a thought I had last night.

Thanks again,

Matt
matt84

State/Region: NSW

Re: Peppermint Shrimp (L.Vitatta)

Postby matt84 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:38 am

Well I missed the hatch.. but I have managed to purchase 2 more shrimp. Both of which are holding eggs!
One of them looks like there may be a hatch in the next day or two so I have the brine shrimp hatching, the larval snagger running and the rearing tank all fired up and ready to go!
matt84

Postby Luis A M » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Good luck with it,Matt!.No experience with L.vittata,which is seldom seen outside Oz,But it is said to be an easy one :wink:
Im not sure larvae could be raised in a breeding net.Will the mesh retain bbs?.Good luck though!!.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Amie » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Good luck...take pictures.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby matt84 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Luis A M wrote:Good luck with it,Matt!.No experience with L.vittata,which is seldom seen outside Oz,But it is said to be an easy one :wink:
Im not sure larvae could be raised in a breeding net.Will the mesh retain bbs?.Good luck though!!.

Thanks Luis and Amie! Your breeding journals have been a wealth of knowledge
I ended up deciding against the breeding net idea. Partly for the reason you list and partly because i didnt want the shrimp to get stuck on the sides etc

Hatch
I had the hatch late last night. I checked the snagger before I went to bed last night aroung 11.30 and the was a lone baby shrimp in it. A few secs later it was joined by another. I checked the 'mother' shrimp and she was still loaded up with eggs. All of a sudden she darted around and released hundreds of the young.

This morning my larval snagger was full of tiny shrimp. Unfortunately, I had to start work early so I added some NHBBS to it before I left. Hopefully its enough to keep them going until I get home this afternoon and I can transfer them to another tank.

Heres some photos I took of the eggs under my microscope. Not the best quality as i'm waiting for a camera i can properly mount to the scope.
Pics are massive for some reason.. I'll resize and embed them later but for now, heres the link to them
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/AusMatt1984/latest%20aquarium/20160118_205106_zps5ujbvtv3.jpg
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/AusMatt1984/latest%20aquarium/20160118_205317_zps5shkoh4x.jpg
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/AusMatt1984/latest%20aquarium/20160118_205331_zps8nelo7cf.jpg
matt84

Postby matt84 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:57 am

Day 1 is down and I still have baby shrimp.

I took a photo of them in the snagger before removing one to place under the microscope. Looking at them under the microscope is amazing! You can see their little hearts pumping away.
here's some photos: ( not very good as they were taken with my phone being help over the eyepiece, I really need to get my camera mount)
In the snagger:
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/AusMatt1984/latest%20aquarium/20160120_170235_zpso7ejggv1.jpg

under the microscope:
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/AusMatt1984/latest%20aquarium/20160120_175113_zpsklsxsyrz.jpg
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/AusMatt1984/latest%20aquarium/20160120_174932_zpszd73rnqq.jpg
matt84

Postby matt84 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:49 pm

Day 20: Well I have 4 remaining larvae left. Had some big losses after leaving them for a couple of days last week.. damn work always getting in the way of my obsession.
The 4 remaining look happy enough though so i'm hoping I can get them all the way though

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/AusMatt1984/latest%20aquarium/magnifying_2016-02-08_21-56-53_zpsfok8t9xf.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/AusMatt1984/latest%20aquarium/magnifying_2016-02-08_21-56-29_zpsg853vwfj.jpg
matt84

Postby Amie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks for posting pictures, they are looking good. So what are you doing to take care of them now? i.e. food, water change, aeration, etc.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby Luis A M » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Congrats!.At 20 days meta is round the corner! 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby matt84 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:32 pm

They are in a round glass fish bowl that is sitting/floating in the sump of my reeftank.
Aeration/flow is via an airstone sitting on one edge of the bowl. One of the shrimp appears to have lost an "arm?" (cant think of the proper name for it at this moment) but i have seen it successfully grab pieces of flake food so it doesn't seem to be affecting it too much.

Feeding is a mixture of different sized brine shrimp that have been loaded with phyto to keep them happy while I'm at work and some crushed flake in the evenings when I get home.

Waterchanges usually involve me gently turkey basting them out of the bowl and sitting them in a seperate container while I wash down the tank with paper towl and saltwater. Then I refill the tank about 1/3 of the way and re-add them to the water with some fresh food. The following day I add another 1/3 of fresh water to the tank. On the third or sometimes the fourth day (if work gets in the way) I'll start the process again.

Luis A M wrote:Congrats!.At 20 days meta is round the corner! 8)

Thank Luis, hopefully I'll have a better survival rate with the next batch that are coming though though.
I thought I was getting close! I've just been taking it 1 day at a time at the moment. Approx. how many days is the usual for meta? (realise it probably depends on a few things but a ball park figure would be good)
I had 30 days marked on my calender but I cannot remember where I got that number from lol
matt84

Postby Luis A M » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:43 pm

20 to 30 days is typical for peppers.If you had some hundreds zoea,some would be settling by now.
A missing paddle (5th pereiopod) won´t affect the larva much,but could delay growth and meta.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby matt84 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:28 am

Thanks again Luis,
Hopefully after this first lot have reached meta i'll have better idea of what to expect.
At day 26 today and still no meta yet. I did see evidence of a moult this morning so I'm hopeful its not too much longer.
One of them is significantly larger then then the others as well. Almost double the size.
This is the first time i've tried to breed anything marine related so I'll be pretty excited if even one makes it all the way through lol
matt84

Postby Luis A M » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:13 am

Luis
Luis A M

Postby matt84 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Bookmarked!
Thanks for the link Luis!
matt84

Postby matt84 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Currently sitting on day 33 and still no settlement. :( :?

I'm down to 1 remaing larvae. Am I missing something or do I just need more time?
The larvae seems to be quite big now (~10mm)
matt84

Peppermint Shrimp L Vitatta

Postby IvanoFFmi » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Hello
Can I place peppermint shrimp in my refugium? My refugium have only about 10-12 hours of light. Basically once my lights in main tank goes off the refugium lights turn on.
Is it safe to place peppermint shrimp in there? I have a lot of aiptasia in the refugium so shrimp will have something to eat.

___

XRumer 12.0.16 + SocPlugin: the BEST software for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!
IvanoFFmi

State/Region: Russia

Peppermint Shrimp L Vitatta

Postby IvanoFFmi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Sorry to hear that BKS, However,peppermint shrimp will eat corals. I took them all out after I sow them nipping my corals SOOO badly .

___
XRumer 12.0.16 + SocPlugin: the BEST program for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!
IvanoFFmi

State/Region: Russia

Postby matt84 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:23 pm

YAY!
Finally!! after 41 days my lonely shrimp has finally settled!!
I'll take some photos tonight and post them up
matt84

Postby Luis A M » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Well done Matt! :D
We now wait for the pics...
Luis
Luis A M

Re: Peppermint Shrimp L Vitatta

Postby matt84 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:28 pm

IvanoFFmi wrote:Hello
Can I place peppermint shrimp in my refugium? My refugium have only about 10-12 hours of light. Basically once my lights in main tank goes off the refugium lights turn on.
Is it safe to place peppermint shrimp in there? I have a lot of aiptasia in the refugium so shrimp will have something to eat.

___

Somehow I missed this question. A refugium would be a fine place for a peppermint shrimp. As long as there is food it will be happy
matt84

Postby matt84 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:19 am

I've been trying to come up with a better rearing tank idea then my current fishbowl suspended in my sump idea. I've noticed alot of shrimp sinking to the bottom and dying (possibly dying before they sink to the bottom, I'm not sure).. but I thought I would work on eliminating one variable at a time.

So I have come up with this beauty! lol

Whether it works or not is another thing.
matt84

Postby Luis A M » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:33 pm

Is it glass or acrylic?.Large plastic goldfish bowls are used as kreisels for seahorses and such.Shrimp larvae are usually raised in Calado-Rhyne cylindro-conical upwellers.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:33 pm

Is it glass or acrylic?.Large plastic goldfish bowls are used as kreisels for seahorses and such.Shrimp larvae are usually raised in Calado-Rhyne cylindro-conical upwellers.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby matt84 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:29 am

This one is glass. Acrylic is too expensive here so I dont even bother trying to work with it.

I was working off April kirkendolls method of using a small tank and a airstone on one side to keep the shrimp and food suspended and thought the small goldfish bowl I had might be better as the curvature of the glass would create more of a circular motion in the water.. but it didn't really work. if I tried anything but live food, it would immediately sink to the bottom before anything had a chance to grab it.

Are you saying this probably wont work as I'm hoping?
It doesn't matter too much if it doesn't. I'm sure I'll use it down the track for something.

Do you have any more info on the Calado-Rhyne cylindro-conical upwellers? Having difficulty finding an example or pics of them

Thanks for your advice as always Luis!
matt84

Next

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps