Raising Lysmata Amboinensis - Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:07 pm

I'm starting this thread, for the most part, to give myself the incentive I need to attempt raising the skunk cleaner shrimp again (lysmata amboinensis). It has been years since I have worked with them, but I am ready to try again. I have done a lot research over the years, talked to people all over the world that have raised them, on and off the internet (some documented, some not), and have unique ideas that I will be trying. So, here goes.

I am starting completely from scratch, btw. I do not have a setup, or the shrimp at this point.

19 March 2014
I went to the LFS yesterday to order 10 cleaner shrimp, they will be here next week. I have a lot of work to do over the next week because I do not have my lab ready yet. I am going to attempt to design a setup that is taken care of by an automatic computer system. It will be a work in progress, but I have high hopes. ;)

I saw 1 female guppy, along with 4 tiny baby guppies, in one of the salt water tanks, so I purchased them ... along with 10 other 'feeder' guppy that still need to be acclimated to salt water. The guppies will be placed in the refugium of the system, in order to eat excess food, live or otherwise, that comes down to the refugium.

20 March 2014
This morning, my total of 15 guppies has increased to 27 .. whoo hoo! Best $2 purchase ever. They are acclimating well to salt water so far. I may consider purchasing something like a brittle star to keep in the refugium as well, in order to clean up any dead fish.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Re: Raising Lysmata Amboinensis - Amie

Postby Gregg » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:43 am

I am very interested in following your progress Amie. I tried raising cleaners back in the late 1990s and could never get beyond day 21. I was using a very crude setup, just a 2 gallon aquarium with a single airline, daily 1qt water changes with greenwater and feeding rotifers and nhbbs.

Feel free to remove this post to keep your documentation clutter free, but I wanted to tag this so I get notification when you update.

Best of luck!
Gregg

Postby Amie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks Gregg for your comment. This is why I wanted to start the thread, I was hoping to get people interested, so I wouldn't give up. So please feel free to post. I have wanted to try cleaner shrimp again for several years, but keep putting it off. Now, with 10 on the way, I need to get my act together.

I am like you, when I worked on these years ago, I made it to day 21-23 so many times I lost count. I tried quite a few different methods, even putting them in a bucket, with no aeration and no water changes, all I did was feed them. They still made it to 23 days, and died.
Amie

Postby Luis A M » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Any news on your project,Amie?.
I remember amboinensis was your focal point of interest when you first joined Marine Breeders,many years ago.Which still is,according to your avatar :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Amie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:53 am

You are right Luis, amboinensis is the only reason I originally joined this site. So I guess I'm here to stay until I figure out how to raise them. ;) Since then, I've raised a few other fish and inverts, but amboinensis has always been my ultimate goal.

It is taking me a little longer than I thought it would to get my new system designed and set up. I have decided to try and create a self-sustaining eco-system, similar to a reef tank. At first, I was going to leave some things out, like amphipods, because I was worried that they would eat the tiny larvae. But the more research I do, the more I think it is important to have different types of zooplankton in the system. I will have the larvae tank protected with sieves so larger zooplankton will not enter the tank. I hope to have a design that I can upload in the next few days.
Amie

Postby Luis A M » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 pm

This is the magic about websites,we can discuss and share experience.And feel that we are not alone in our struggle.I am dusting my old Rhyne´s tanks to start working with shrimps again.Though the new model they are using is cylinder-spherical instead of cylinder conical.
But perhaps a sophisticated system is not so important;see the success Shannon is achieving in a very simple set up with Stenopus. :wink:
If you are planning some trip,make it now,amboinensis larvae will take you tied everyday during 5 months! :P
Luis
Luis A M

Postby mazoli » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:49 am

Amie wrote:You are right Luis, amboinensis is the only reason I originally joined this site. So I guess I'm here to stay until I figure out how to raise them. ;) Since then, I've raised a few other fish and inverts, but amboinensis has always been my ultimate goal.

It is taking me a little longer than I thought it would to get my new system designed and set up. I have decided to try and create a self-sustaining eco-system, similar to a reef tank. At first, I was going to leave some things out, like amphipods, because I was worried that they would eat the tiny larvae. But the more research I do, the more I think it is important to have different types of zooplankton in the system. I will have the larvae tank protected with sieves so larger zooplankton will not enter the tank. I hope to have a design that I can upload in the next few days.

Hi Amie,
If you have more details, description and photos, could you share? Would be interested in more details about the setup you are using. Thanks!
Zoli
mazoli

State/Region: Hungary

Postby Crusty » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:46 am

Hi any update?
Crusty

State/Region: New York

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps