Wurdemanni (peppermint) - newbie

Postby mazoli » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:05 am

Hi there and a Happy New Year!
I'm new on this forum, and pretty new in marine aquaristics as well. For some reason love shrimp, so would like to try to raise some peppermints (hope the enthusiasm will last ... :))

I have a small 13 gallon (54 liter) tank set up only for shrimp (with rocks, soft corals and a small protein skimmer). The tank has been running since August and the 2 wurdemanni are in there since November. Feed them twice a day and they molt and look good. Red April Kirkendoll's book, so I have some theoretical understanding, but no practice so far. My first question is, for larvae catcher use, should I turn off all my circulation pumps for the night?

Thanks
Zoltan
mazoli

State/Region: Hungary

Re: Wurdemanni (peppermint) - newbie

Postby Luis A M » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi Zoltan,welcome to MOFIB-Marine Breeder! :D
The night you expect larvae (about 9th after molt),you can stop pumps and start them again if they didn't hatch.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby mazoli » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:47 pm

I stopped (postponed) my lysmata raising activities so far. Sold the small nano (was too much extra work). About 6 months ago I started a 100 gallon sps reef aquarium, with a large 25-30 gallon sump. The sump was designed to have a decently large "work" area, where I can place the parents and kreisel(s) as well. This way I don't have to worry about water parameters and filtration, full focus should be on the little ones. Bought a vossen larvae catcher - really nice - tested and it's working nicely. One thing missing is the kreisel, not sure what's the best diy way to make one? Any tips? What do you use, what is your best design that works?
Cheers
Zoltan
mazoli

Postby mazoli » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:38 pm

Back here after a long time. Been setting up a 100g SPS reef, and is stable enough after 6 months to start again my wurdemanni project. Set up the sump in such a way, that I have a 20*20 inch "workspace" where my 5 adults are, some rock and the raising tank in one place, next to each other. The plan is to use same water, recycle and use the main tank water and filtering for all my livestock. See how it goes...
mazoli

Postby Crusty » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:04 pm

Great! Can you please post some pics?
Crusty

State/Region: New York

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps