Cleaning shrimp larvae tank

Cleaning shrimp larvae tank

Postby TheJordans » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi Guys :)

It's our first post on here (though we've been lurking for a little while), so please be nice ;)

We finally got around to trapping some larvae the other night (looks to be Lysmata debelius by the colour and the adult moults the following morning, though we also keep L. wurdemanni) and have them in a small glass tank.

They are 3DPH today.

(Please don't ask me for exact specs of our setup - I'm at work and wouldn't know off the top of my head! Will post a breeding log at some point!)

Anywho, when we siphon our rots for the purpose of feeding the shrimp, and during the process we collect a lot of algae. This algae then collects on the bottom of the shrimp tank.

My partner has been using some airline tubing to siphon this out twice daily (not rigid airline tubing - our LFSs don't sell it :? ) and quite a few shrimp are getting sucked out with it, which he then tediously collects from the glass collection bowl with a light and a soup spoon!! *shock*

Is there a technique that anyone would care to share that would help us to avoid sucking the shrimp out? With these guys getting bigger, it's only a matter of time before they begin getting damaged.

And in case it's relevant: The water is approx 20cm deep and an airstone is positioned so that the larvae are moved in a kriesel fashion in the water column.

TIA!
Bek and Les

(PS - if you have any tips on keeping the much to a minimum in the rotifer bucket, that's also an alternative ;) )
TheJordans

Re: Cleaning shrimp larvae tank

Postby oldnewbie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi guys ive seen you posting in Reefing the Australian Way im experimenting with breeding different speacies so if i can help out with ideas im more then happy to share any info i have (i dont know much but happy to share what i do lol) Anyway good luck with your endevours.
oh im in Australia :D
oldnewbie

Postby TheJordans » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:39 am

Nawww, thanks, oldnewbie! :D
At this stage, we have no experience but a willingness to give it a go and keep trying till we get it right!
We've been fortunate enough to have had most of the species in our tank producing young.... aaand now trick will be to raise them!
If you have any tips on kriesels, siphoning without hoiking out the larvae, or anything really, we're all ears! I'm struggling to find enough hours in the day to read everything we need to know!
At the moment we have a tank of Blood Shrimp larvae and one of Peppermint's (last nights' catch ;) ). Our technique for siphoning the rubbish off the bottom of their tanks is resulting in 20+ bubs at a time ending up in a glass bowl for us to then sit there with a bright light and soup spoon collecting them all back out again! That's about 30mins of extra work twice daily, hence the "please tell us how to do this properly" thing lol
Anywho, I'd better get back to the research ;) Have a great night, and thanks so much for your kind words!
Bek and Les
TheJordans

Postby Amie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:01 pm

You need to use a mesh that is smaller than the shrimp in order to keep them from being syphoned. There are different ways to do this, but I use a 1/2" pvc pipe that is 12" long. I glued the mesh to one end of pvc pipe (again...the size of the mesh depends on the size of the shrimp). Then I hold the pvc down in the water close to the bottom of the tank, place the syphon tube inside of the pvc and start syphoning.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I can try to explain it further or take a picture.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby PaulG » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Bek & Les,

Go to bunnings, buy a few sprinkler riser tubes, get the 30 or 45cm long ones, the ones I'm referring to are approx 8mm in outer diameter & 5mm inner diameter with a threadded end, black in colour. the threaded end is just the right size to puch standard silicone airline onto.

to use it, cover the tank in question (all sides & top) and place a small light at one corner of the tank, as the larva are phototropic they will all 'go towards the light' (yes you need to turn the flow off in the tank to do this) give it 5 minutes and then uncover the top of the tank at teh opposite end to where teh light is and your the above mention sprinkler riser & airtube to syphon out the gunk at the bottom of the tank, then if you feel teh need move the light the the opposite end of the tank and syphon the other side of the tank once the larvae have migrated towards teh light.

HTH
PaulG
PaulG

Postby TheJordans » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:17 am

Thanks for the tips, guys! They're really helpful! And sorry it's taken me a while to reply *blush*
We really appreciate you taking the time to put your methods forward for us :D
TheJordans

Postby Kennard » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:07 am

Hi just wonderd what sort of luck your getting with raising the fry as i have a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp both with eggs and would like to try to raise the fry any things you have come across that work would be so much help thanks jamie
Kennard

State/Region: east sussex

Postby TheJordans » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi Kennard :)
We ended up losing them all by about 23days (from memory), so I don't have any useful tips for you, sorry!
However, there are a BUNCH of useful info online if you just google/search for it, so I'm sure that there should be something there for you :)
Good luck!
Bek :)
TheJordans

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps