My salt kills the larvae?

My salt kills the larvae?

Postby malau » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 am

Hi all,

I got 2 batches within an hr 2 days ago, I guess about a thousands.... today I did a first water change. Since it is winter here so what I did is I use a bucket to make the new water yesterday, then before I do the water change I use heater to match the temperature. The salinity in the hatching container was 1.025 and I set the water is around 1.022 (iirc).... I use the dripping method which around 3 drops / sec. After I did water change I guess I lost not a small amount of larvae and they are at the bottom...

The salt I use is Seachem, and it seems giving trouble with my corals as well (which I suspect). What happened was I have some hardy SPS in my other tank and when I was away I asked my sis to look after. Of course turns out that PO4 is ~ 2.5 ppm however they are still survive. After I back from the trip I did water change using Aquavitro salt and the corals recover very soon. Those receeded area were regrown within a month. Then I ran out of salt and I got this bucket of Seachem.

I got a spare tank so I decided moved the corals to this tank and make it as SPS dedicated. I did the following same procedure last year after I physically broke my tank and I got no SPS loses: I use the tank water to put it in the new tank, added some new water on both old and new tank. The water temperature matched. Then I moved my SPSs to the new tank.

My colleague and I got 2 birdnests from the same shop, both of us using Seachem salt but different batch. Both birdnest in our tank got RTN. We changed the parms, Ca, Mg, KH, PH...etc are in the good condition. Then I got a new bucket of salt which is RedSea since my LFS doesnt have Aquavitro at this moment. I did water change and the birdnest (along with other acro) stopped RTN, the clam reopening. However my colleague one is totally RTN-ed (I gave him some of RedSea salt but not sure if it was too bad it is completed RTN).

Just wonder if it is the salt problem? I used to use Aquavitro when I was trying to breed last year and seems ok. My last batch of peppermint (2 months ago) the last one survive for a month only...

Hmmm I dont know.. Im lost

I
malau

Re: My salt kills the larvae?

Postby malau » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:22 am

[Updates]....

Been busy in last few days so didnt upload some information

Since I feed them with nhbbs, I found there are large amount of nhbbs died as well... within few hrs (I changed the water before I go to sleep and before I go to work I checked the container bottom is orange color due to nhbbs die).
malau

Postby Luis A M » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Not a clue,but something very nasty you face,since bbs are extremely tough. :?
Very unlikely that a major commercial salt could be that bad.however it is always convenient to season it 1-2 days before using.Try carbon :idea:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Have you checked your source water for impurities such as ammonia or chlorine?
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby malau » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:20 am

EasterEggs wrote:Have you checked your source water for impurities such as ammonia or chlorine?

I use the same source of water to use the red sea salt (now) and aqua vitro (before)...

My Xenia wasnt open when I was using Seachem but now they open like a fire torch
malau

Postby malau » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:22 am

Luis A M wrote:Not a clue,but something very nasty you face,since bbs are extremely tough. :?
Very unlikely that a major commercial salt could be that bad.however it is always convenient to season it 1-2 days before using.Try carbon :idea:

I will do an experiment in coming batch which is probably in next few days. I will use carbon for seachem salt and red sea without carbon but same water source and see how's going....

Will use the dripping method as usual, warm the water temp as well before dripping
malau

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:20 pm

But there is some issue with shrimp and new ASW...Have you seen viewtopic.php?f=141&t=722 ?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby malau » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:05 am

Luis A M wrote:But there is some issue with shrimp and new ASW...Have you seen viewtopic.php?f=141&t=722 ?

Thanks. Was reading this on the other day at work before your reply. Didnt read thru until last night as too long for reading at work :P

Since I have a acropora tank which now the water quality seems good I may just get the water out from there and seee....

I also custom made a grow out tank which is pretty much a container with a stand pipe at the centre so see hows going...

p.s. got another batch 2 days ago but I did not (and not dare) to do the water change yet

One interested thing is the nhbbs also die on next day. I used the new water to hatch the nhbbs and put them in the grow out tank.. so not sure if the salinity ..etc may caused the death of nhbbs.. the larvae are ok tho
malau

Postby malau » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 am

One more interest (well I should use weird) thing is.. I found there are some numbers of larvae float on the surface.. I mean some of their legs seems to be above the water surface and couldnt sink... but it only happens to this patch... any idea?
malau

Postby Luis A M » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:42 pm

No idea. :? You see some oily film at the surface?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby malau » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:09 am

Not really however last night I feel the surface is a bit sticky but clear.... I am thinking put few Activated carbon in the container?
malau

Postby malau » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 am

Got some commercial weaning food and trying now. Some of the larvae grabbing at the bottom
malau

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps