Newbie breeder

Newbie breeder

Postby Alicia » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm just starting out. Would love to breed my shrimp that hold eggs. My problem is that they didn't turn silver, then were gone the next day.

Are they all supposed to turn silver? Every species?
Were they not viable?
I have Peppermints, how can I know which peppermints exactly? (I'm trying real hard to get photos, but they hide so much it's tough)
Can I raise them in my show tank in a breeder net? Or better off with a small fishbowl inside a 10gallon tank?

I've read so much information that my eyes want to bleed, lol. Thank you for all of your information everyone!

Alicia
Alicia

Re: Newbie breeder

Postby Luis A M » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Welcome Alicia to wonderland! :D
Eggs might not get silver,but if they are good,they should remain attached.If they vanish after one day or two,they might be non viable.Check that both of your shrimp look like the same species.
The most common pepper in the trade is boggessi.Rather drab,without the saddle mark and with a dark tail.
There are many ways to raise the larvae,but your fishbowl working as a kreisel is a good start. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Alicia » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:46 am

Thank you! Both of my shrimp are now apparently carrying eggs :) One is definitely ahead of the other. Is this possible with only two shrimp? I caught one shrimp and had her held in a netted breeder, but I didn't have the heart to keep her as she would not eat. They both have darkened tails, one is a little lighter and smaller than the other. I don't see a saddle mark you talk about, so they are boggessi? I thought they were but I'm not expert in IDing things. Thank you!
Alicia

Postby Luis A M » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:56 am

Yes,both shrimp will give you larvae and they will coordinate their molting /spawning cycles so that you will have hatches about every week 8)
If you check your tank with a flashlight 1 hr after dark,you will see the newly hatched larvae,which you can siphon out. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps