Environment for Rearing Peppermint Shrimp

Environment for Rearing Peppermint Shrimp

Postby Lazylivin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:31 pm

I have interest in raising peppermint shrimp. I have setup a 3g tank with small heater and airstone. I have issues with the shrimp laying on the bottom and looks like they maybe getting stuck there. They all used to float towards the top/center. They are 3 days old. I was thinking that they could have been damaged by the airstone. It is a wood aerator with a fine bubbles that is turned down quite. Is there a way to protect them from the bubbles. If you have a link to a well setup rearing vessel please let me know. Thanks
Also I have been feeding Hikari Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp. Is that okay?
Lazylivin

Re: Environment for Rearing Peppermint Shrimp

Postby jeff@zina.com » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:15 am

Might want to look at the book "How to raise and train your Peppermint Shrimp."

The peppermints I "breed" are really just larvae that hit the overflow to the sump and end up hanging out in the rock there. When they get big enough, I toss them up in the main tank again. If I ever get a better set up running, I may need to actively raise them.

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Postby Scottt » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:00 am

Have you checked this book yet? "How To Raise & Train Your Peppermint Shrimp" by April Kirkendoll.
Scottt

Postby Suzy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:55 am

Our own Amie has a credit in that book!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Lazylivin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:06 am

I ordered the book. Thank you for the link. While I eagerly await it's arrival any tips for keeping them off the bottom of the tank and in suspension. Should I add flow but behind something like polyester plankton cloth to protect them from getting injured? Thanks for your help.
Lazylivin

Postby EasterEggs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:21 am

I haven't been able to get these guys past 12 dph. The best I ever did was using a 1 or 2 gallon goldfish bowl filled right to the top with the airstone at the 3 o'clock position making a circular flow pattern in the bowl keeping both the larvae and the food suspended. If you add a dim light over top it will help to keep the mildly phototaxic larvae suspended as well. I find when they settle on the bottom they soon die. People have raised them successfully using both super fine bubbles from wooden airstones and using large bubbles from open-ended rigid airline tubing. Right now I am copying someone else's successful rearing methods by using a tall cylindrical vessel. I have been losing the larvae suddenly at 24-48 hours though. I have been using tap water, and am going to try my next batch with RODI water instead. You may be having water quality issues using frozen food instead of live food. Consider switching to NHBBS. I believe they have to be NHBBS, not BBS as I don't think the Peppermint shrimp larvae can get through the BBS shell.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby Lazylivin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks for the info. They seem to be doing pretty good so far

Here they were on day they were born Jan 22

Here they are today. Jan 29

Lazylivin

Postby rortreefer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:03 am

the pictures look great! Thanks for sharing!
rortreefer

Postby Suzy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:12 am

Those are great pics! Is that a point and click camera?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:35 am

7 days is pretty good so far! :)
EasterEggs

Postby Lazylivin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:29 pm

It is a Cannon T1i camera. These little guys are really hard to photograph. So tiny. Thanks for good feedback. I am eagerly waiting the book suggested How To Raise & Train Your Peppermint Shrimp. Would like to figure out a way to be able to use additional filtration such as skimmer and rock. Right now in the current setup it isn't feasible. I think I read somewhere about PVC cuttings with a fine mesh fabric to keep them contained and protected from filtration.
Lazylivin

Postby Lazylivin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:13 am

To my surprise they are doing really well. Since this last morph yesterday they seem to swim with purpose now instead of just where the flow takes them. They have got some new legs that they use to swim with and can even see them chase down the live baby brine. I have to siphon out the brine shrimp every couple days because they grow to quick, much faster then the peppermint shrimp. Here is a couple snaps from this evening. They are almost 13 days old now.

Lazylivin

Postby JulioC » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:09 am

Any update?

My next chalenge is to breed shrimp. In your experience which one is the easier to start with?
JulioC

Postby Lazylivin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:20 am

I don't have any experience Julio other then what is posted in this thread from the last 12 days. Maybe someone with more experience will post here.
Lazylivin

Postby EasterEggs » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:43 am

Hey good job! I know the first couple times I tried raising them it seemed simple, then I lost them suddenly and was never able to get that far with them again! Sooooo frustrating. I have a batch that I haven't checked on yet this morning that is 4 DPH today which is twice as old as I have been able to get in recent tries.
EasterEggs

Postby Lazylivin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:10 am

It is nice to take this journey with someone eastereggs. Do you have a thread that I can see your progress. 4 DPH mean? Is that a growth scale or days? If you have a link to it let me know. Thanks
Lazylivin

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:08 pm

DPH = days post hatch. The day they hatch is called 1 DPH.

I haven't really been logging my progress much because I haven't progressed. :oops: I do have a journal though...I will go put some info in it (which will bump it up too).
EasterEggs

Postby Lazylivin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:38 am

Okay thanks for that info. Is there a particular time they are most sensitive? I guess I am asking is since mine are now 14 DPH are they hardier than they were earlier say 4 DPH? Is there a certain day they are hard to get too but when you pass it they are usually home free?
Lazylivin

Postby Luis A M » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:42 pm

They are especially sensitive the day they molt. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Lazylivin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Hey Thanks for the tip Luis. You know I am sure they are molting but I have never noticed it. I keep the air bubbles down really really low. Does anyone know approximation when they settle?
Lazylivin

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:09 am

I think they molt every second day, don't they Luis? Settling begins around day 28-30 I think, but I also think this is directly related to how quickly they are progressing...IE if they aren't eating as much as they should they could take longer.
EasterEggs

Postby Luis A M » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm

EasterEggs wrote:I think they molt every second day, don't they Luis? Settling begins around day 28-30 I think, but I also think this is directly related to how quickly they are progressing...IE if they aren't eating as much as they should they could take longer.

Right 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Lazylivin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:45 am

Well they are three weeks old now. 30 of them in total. Still in the 3g tank and still eating baby brine shrimp. Unfortunately I have been working a lot and have not been able to modify their environment to something better with filtration. I put in brine shrimp every day and change about 90% of the water every other day.
Lazylivin

Postby Suzy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:33 am

Very cool!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby dave w » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Lazylivin wrote:Well they are three weeks old now. 30 of them in total. Still in the 3g tank and still eating baby brine shrimp. Unfortunately I have been working a lot and have not been able to modify their environment to something better with filtration. I put in brine shrimp every day and change about 90% of the water every other day.

A diet of pure baby brine shrimp can cause problems like fatty livers. Many larvae fed BBS tend to go into shock without any pretext. April Kirkendol found that tiny pieces of flake food ground up with a mortar and pestle were actually the best food for the larvae. The larvae seemed to grab the flake piece and worry and chew it like a dog with a bone. But they eat their way through the flake nonetheless.

I'm not saying to abandon baby brine shrimp, but a varied diet is the best one. You may also try adding greenwater to keep your brine shrimp more nutritious and to help the larvae spot their prey against a darker background. At some point the brine shrimp get too big and you need to remove them because they outgrow the peppermint larvae.

As you've probably learned the central dilemna in rearing larvae is that they need lots of food to grow, yet lots of food destroys water quality. So you are walking a tightrope between culture vessel size, food quantity and water changes. It looks like you are doing well so far. Keep up the good work.
dave w

Next

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps