Eggs from peppermint shrimp

Eggs from peppermint shrimp

Postby Troender » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:48 am

As it wasn't enough with my mandarins spawning, I have a peppermint shrimp with loads of eggs too. I wonder what's in my water these days, that makes my fish and inverts spawn. :-D :mrgreen: But, what do you do with peppermint shrimp eggs? As they carry them around until they hatch, I really don't know how to get the eggs before they become larvae. I won't do it with this batch of eggs, but I will try next time. What do you do to get hold of the eggs or larvae? And if you collect the eggs, what do you need to do to hatch them?
Troender

Re: Eggs from peppermint shrimp

Postby Suzy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:48 pm

I think some species are harder than others to raise. Post a photo and maybe the guys can tell you which one you have?

I dont think you can collect the eggs but you could try placing the gravid one in a tank all alone. I have used a divided acrylic tank I made, put the gravid shrimp on one side, and then light the other side so the larvae move away from the hungry parent.

They are super easy to catch if you can get a larvae catcher.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Troender » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:51 pm

What is a larvae catcher? How does it work?
Troender

Postby Suzy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:22 pm

http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=7104&hilit=Chad+vossen

These are the ones I use, but you can make one. Just remember the larvae hatch when the lights go out, and move to the light...
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Troender » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:00 am

I think I will try to put the shrimp in a tank all alone. For how long does the shrimp carry the eggs before they become larvae? Is there something I can see on the shrimp that can tell me it's about time to move it to a tank where I can get the larvae?
Troender

Postby Suzy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:33 am

I believe they turn green, but I have never been able to tell the exact night. You can always tells when they did and you missed it though. They shed their skin!

Try putting the gravid shrimp in a breeder box and float it in the separate aquarium. The larvae will leave the breeder into the water column.

http://www.petco.com/product/7449/Lees-Multi-Purpose-3-Way-Breeders.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

Are you going to feed the larvae newly hatched brine shrimp?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Troender » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:42 am

I had planned to feed the larvae the same as I will feed mandarin larvae, rotifiers and copepods. Are they big enough to eat newly hatched brine shrimp? Because that is something I've got bubbling right now (for my cory fry). I haven't planned to collect any larvae this time, but wait until after Christmas. I guess the shrimp will produce eggs later on as well. But from what you say about turning green. I think the eggs are about to turn into larvae soon, because last time I saw her, the eggs seemed to have changed color. It's funny they change skin after getting rid of the eggs. They seemed to molt an awful lot earlier, but right now it's been a while. Maybe because one of them is carrying eggs?
Troender

Postby Suzy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:37 am

Watch them closely and you can see how often they spawn so when you are ready, you will have some knowlegde. The species I have do eat newly hatched bs as a first food.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Troender » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:20 pm

That's good news. :D Newly hatched brine shrimp is easy to make. I very often have a bottle or two (or three) bubbling with it. And it makes it easier to give them a varied diet too. I will try to produce rotifiers and copepods because of my mandarins, so I will feed with that too. I guess I will have more questions when I actually try to breed them. Thank you for your replies. If you remember anything else I need to know before getting started with this, please post it.
Troender

Postby Suzy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Just try to capture the next spawn, even if you won't be around to raise them. It is good practive and then when you are ready, you wil have the first step down! And find a cheap kids magnifying glass. They are amaxing to look at. They look like little aliens!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Troender » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:25 pm

I talked with my parents today, and if it's still in the attic, I can have their old microscope. Then I really can look at the little aliens. :lol:
Troender

Postby Suzy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:06 pm

I think they look even cooler with just a cheap little magnifying glass. Just enough detail where you see their little paddles.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps