Please ID shrimp [Lysmata boggessi]

Please ID shrimp [Lysmata boggessi]

Postby EasterEggs » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:17 pm

I believe it is Lysmata pederseni. I can't find much information on this shrimp by Googling. I would like a positive ID, and maybe general description like ...does it eat Aiptasia? Is there anything unusual about this specie?

I saw Andy's comment "...no one collects, thank goodness, L. pederseni." What does that mean? Is this not a safe shrimp? It is currently in my reef tank.

Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Re: Please ID shrimp [Lysmata boggessi]

Postby spawner » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:30 pm

It is Lysmata boggessi. You just have a darkly pigmented shrimp. Very sharp picture of the rostrum.
spawner

Postby EasterEggs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Really??? Wow, I was so sure it was pederseni/i]! I didn't realize [i]boggessi would have such a rostrum. I've never noticed it before, albeit I've never looked at shrimp as closely as I do these days! After looking at the pics of my other boggessi I do see the same rostrum, it is just not as protruding as this shrimp. Thanks for the ID. :)

Andy, do you care to elaborate on your comment that thankfully no one is collecting pederseni? Why thankfully?
EasterEggs

Postby spawner » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:04 pm

They are only found in tube sponges, populations densities are much much lower than other peppermint shrimp. They are one of the few that live out on the reef. Just never thought its a good idea to put heavily pressure on them. Of course that's unlikely in the first place, given that someone would actually have to dive for them. Most of our peppermint shrimp are bycatch fishery products. Bait shrimp or Crab traps.
spawner

Postby EasterEggs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Ah, very interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)
EasterEggs

Postby Amie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:11 am

Do you have an iodine test kit? I am curious if it is low and that is why your shrimp is so dark in color. Your shrimp is also holding it's tail down, which can be a sign of low iodine in the tank, from what I have experienced. (I know, Andy is going to say I am crazy.)
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:11 am

I don't have an iodine kit. It came from a full reek tank, I moved it into the shrimp tank. It will be interesting to see if it changes at all with different conditions.
EasterEggs

Postby spawner » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:09 pm

Amie wrote:Do you have an iodine test kit? I am curious if it is low and that is why your shrimp is so dark in color. Your shrimp is also holding it's tail down, which can be a sign of low iodine in the tank, from what I have experienced. (I know, Andy is going to say I am crazy.)

Total loon. Show me some data on that please. But you hobbyists have figured a few interesting things out here and there with just plan good observational skills.
spawner

Return to Lysmata - Cleaner & Peppermint Shrimps