Has anyone bred Platypodiella spectabilis?

Has anyone bred Platypodiella spectabilis?

Postby brandonberry » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:13 am

Has anyone bred Platypodiella spectabilis? I noticed that Sealifeinc had a pair and they look really cool. It would be neat if someone who knew what they were doing got this pair since Ken mentioned that this was the first mated pair he'd seen. Here's the link for them:

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/product_i ... cts_id=274
brandonberry

Postby FuEl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:35 am

Awesome looking crabs. :P
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby spawner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:18 am

yes, they are not that hard to work with, well at least to megalopa. Settlement might be an issue. I bet they need the zoo they eat to induce settlement.
spawner

Re:

Postby aomont » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:06 pm

spawner wrote:I bet they need the zoo they eat to induce settlement.

I guy here keeps/has kept an adult one and it eats a local Protopalythoa. Hope that helps.
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby brandonberry » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:47 pm

Wonder if I could get it to eat my PPEs? No seriously, I didn't realize it ate zoanthids. I definitely have no desire to breed it now.
brandonberry

Postby aomont » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:24 pm

The guy mention it does no harm at all as once in a while it comes out, picks a large polip and return to he cave where it eats the polip.
If the colony is large enough, the lost polip is replaced easily and the colony may indeed grow.
I find it an interesting behaviour to watch and show your reef can be somewhat sustainable. ;)
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Re:

Postby spawner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:05 pm

aomont wrote:The guy mention it does no harm at all as once in a while it comes out, picks a large polip and return to he cave where it eats the polip.
If the colony is large enough, the lost polip is replaced easily and the colony may indeed grow.
I find it an interesting behaviour to watch and show your reef can be somewhat sustainable. ;)
Anderson.

That is what I have seen as well. Killer little crab, only about 1-2cm or so in CW.
spawner

Return to Brachyura - Crabs