Emerald crab realeased fry into display tank...

Emerald crab realeased fry into display tank...

Postby kayleightraviss » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:27 am

hi everyone!
i just had my female emerald release hundres of little swimming fry into the tank right after I turned the lights out. She had been very pregnant so I knew it was about to happen soon.
I turned off all the powerheads to prevent them from getting eaten up too quickly, and they all settled close to the sand but are all still swimming about and "jumping" across the sand.
Is there any chance of survival? if so, what can i do to help the fry stay alive?
I tried to get a pic, but it would have been too hard without the lights on and I didnt want to stun them.
oh and funnily enough, she went straight over to the male and....well....lets say it wont be too long before there are more babies! ;)
kayleightraviss

Postby spawner » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi,

It is so cool to watch them mate. She can store sperm for several batches. Majids have a terminal molt so they don't molt once they mature. So as you say, down goes the hatch and in with some more fertilizing power.

While they are not that hard to raise you'd have to pull them out of your reef tank and get them on some newly hatched brine shrimp nauplii. There are a few species of closely related crabs that have lecithotrophic (no feeding required) larvae. None that are reef safe however.

At least your fish and corals will eat well.
spawner

Return to Brachyura - Crabs